Advice on phone for daughter

Associate
My 13 year old has a BB and gets on fine with it using it for calls, facebook and BBM etc.

My 10 year old is after a phone for her upcoming birthday and I am not sure what to get her to be honest.

Is ther anything more suitable than a BB that you could suggest.

I don't suppose BBM can be used on anything other than a BB.

This will be on PAYG I would imagine.

Any advice appreciated.

Soldato
Get her a cheap phone, I had my 1st phone when I was 12 and it was a £30 phone.

Back then that was pretty much the cheapest thing available.

If she looks after it then in 2-3 years time buy her a better one.

Soldato
I think you've read my mind on this to be honest.

I know she will find it unfair at first and think you are a big old meany :D

BUT

It will teach her to look after stuff and to work for things. Even though I'm 18, I can tell you that lots of teenagers have no/little respect for belongings and only realise that you can't always ask mummy and daddy for money when they're about my age.

Caporegime
Stick with the BB, an 8520 Curve will do the job for her and yes BBM is only available on BB.

Wouldnt get her an iphone4 or Galaxy S2 as they are expensive phones and personally i dont think a 10 yr old needs such a high end phone tbh...she will be a target for bullies and thieves.

TS7

TS7

Soldato
Stick with the BB, an 8520 Curve will do the job for her and yes BBM is only available on BB.

Wouldnt get her an iphone4 or Galaxy S2 as they are expensive phones and personally i dont think a 10 yr old needs such a high end phone tbh...she will be a target for bullies and thieves.

This.

Get her anything other than a BB and she'll perhaps be happy with it for a while but once she's back at school and everyone is on BB she'll be back asking for a new phone.

Just get the BB and be done with it.

All the school kids are on it these days.

Associate
Android is the new cool thing to have, BB are not so cool anymore (due to lack of apps and games) and Iphones are for old people.
Whatsapp seem to be taking over from BBM

Just did a survey with my 3 teenage daughters :)

My 12yr old uses a Samsung Ch@t 355 and loves it and costs less the £50 !

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Android is the new cool thing to have, BB are not so cool anymore (due to lack of apps and games) and Iphones are for old people.

I think the vast majority of teenage girls want an iPhone but they have to be considered a bit uncool due to the price tag and the fact their parents won't buy them one. :D

Back
Top Bottom