Associate
Hi,

I am currently planning on updating my CPU and motherboard, but I am not sure if the PSU I currently have is compatible. I am looking to upgrade to an Intel I7-10700K and an Asus Prime Z590-P motherboard, and my current PSU is Thermaltake Smart SE 530W 80+ Bronze Efficiency. Some websites I have looked at say that the Asus Prime 7590-P has an additional 4-pin ATX power connector and I don't know if my current PSU provides for that. If it doesn't, how much of a problem is this? I'm new to building/upgrading and am nervous about touching the PSU. Any help is much appreciated!
The rest of my current specs are below.

RAM: Partiot Viper Steel 3200MHz (2x8gb, though planning to get another two sticks of this when I upgrade)
GPU: Nvidia GTX GeForce 1660 SUPER
CPU Cooler: Corsair H45 Liquid CPU cooler
SSD: Samsung 860 QVO 2tb
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 5400rpm 6tb

Last edited:
Associate
Not really needed unless extreme overclocking, no interested in a 5800x and b550 if you shop about you could have that for very little more than the 10700k plus z590-p

Associate
OP
I currently have an Asus Z170-A and an Intel I5-6400 2.7Ghz.
I'm not against the idea of switching to AMD cpu and AMD-compatible MB, but needing to update the bios before it works puts me off a bit.

Soldato
AMD is currently the better option right now but that said Intel 12th gen parts are coming soon and even the lower speced 12600K will have 10 cores so maybe worth hanging on a couple of months unless you're desperate to upgrade right now.

Soldato
nervous about touching the PSU.
Would recommend "gentle" touching of that PSU with big and heavy blunt instrument before dumping it into WEEE.

Its design was very outdated and low end already decade ago.
And components/construction quality is aimed to not maximize endurance.

That would make it completely inbalanced for expensive parts in PC.

Associate
OP
Would recommend "gentle" touching of that PSU with big and heavy blunt instrument before dumping it into WEEE.

Ha, that's fair. I got it quite a few years ago when I didn't have much of a budget to speak of. Seems like saving up just that little bit more and getting a decent PSU when I upgrade might be the best way forward then. Thanks for the help!

Associate
OP
Thanks for the advice all! Based on the help I got here, I've gone for an AMD Ryzen 7 5800x, an MSI B550-A Pro and a Corsair RMx 750w. Very thankful for the advice to upgrade the PSU and to splash out a bit on it!

Back
Top Bottom