Advice on replacing brake caliper

Soldato
I don't see why not, though to be sure your not changing any characteristics check the size of the piston.

You might try pumping the piston out cleaning it all and pushing it back in first.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Worth trying to give it a good clean before binning it. You can take the pads out, pump the lever to push them out and use a cotton bud and mineral oil to clear all the crap off the sides of the piston. You will know you have done a good job when both pistons are clean and come out at the same rate. Clean everything really well with some ISO alcohol or another degreaser and put it all back together.

What makes you think the pistons are leaking? Its not uncommon but sometimes just contaminating the pads or rotors from something else is enough to make them feel a bit rubbish. Assume you have checked that they don't just need a good bleed as well?

If you do replace the callipers, I would recommend checking the thickness of the discs and whether they are contaminated as well.

Soldato
OP
They started to squeal really bad last summer, I changed the rotors and pads but it came back within 30 mins. I changed the pads again and gave the whole thing the best clean I could and came right back. Bled the line....

Took the pads out and felt around the inside and the pistons were oily and greasy so my guess is they are knackered.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Does the existing caliper have any numbers or model numbering on it. I would imagine the one you linked to would be fine as a replacement but I haven't swapped out a direct line in caliper for a banjo one like the linked XT. Not sure if there is any issue there.

Associate
Every single Shimano caliper I have had has leaked in the last 10 years they are pretty poor. If you can't fix yourself I'd avoid Shimano.

It's the port seal that leaks.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Does the existing caliper have any numbers or model numbering on it. I would imagine the one you linked to would be fine as a replacement but I haven't swapped out a direct line in caliper for a banjo one like the linked XT. Not sure if there is any issue there.

I think they are Shimano A-M506.

Every single Shimano caliper I have had has leaked in the last 10 years they are pretty poor. If you can't fix yourself I'd avoid Shimano.

It's the port seal that leaks.

Any other recommendations?

Associate
You might have problems trying to fit the one you've linked to due to it being a Banjo fitment, where as yours is direct.

Back
Top Bottom