Advice on this build (£2000ish)

Associate
Hi all,

Just looking for a bit of informed opinion/advice - I'm constructing a build with a monitor already in place. I have the Strix PG279Q (lucky with the BLB/pixels). I'm using this mainly for gaming, just wondered if I'm making any errors here or should take it in a different direction. Budget is moderately flexible, already have the mouse and keyboard. Also to add, I am keen to overclock the build, so anything regarding the cooling situation would assist.

Many thanks!
JB

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £1,973.98 (includes shipping: £14.10)

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi

The Gigabyte Aorus boards have better VRM's than Asus at the same price point. Personally I would go with the Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro for £189.95.

The retail version of the 9700K is cheaper, and comes with a longer warranty.

That gpu is out of stock at the moment. Maybe consider a different model if you don't want to wait. Also the Gigabyte Gaming OC version has a longer 4 year warranty but also out of stock.

The Antec Earthwatts Gold 650W is a bit cheaper. Still a good psu (Made by Seasonic).

If this is just a gaming pc then maybe swap out the 970 EVO for a standard SATA SSD such as the 860 EVO or Crucial MX500 etc. Not much difference in day to day usage.

See if you can get an ETA on the gpu from the store.

Total: £1,976.94 (includes shipping: £14.10)​

Associate
OP
Hi Lee,

Thanks for polishing up the build and the pointers.

I’m happy to make the change to Aorus MoBo if they are truly better than the Asus ones. I can see there is a WiFi version of that Aorus which is what I was after.

I wasn’t 100% set on that specific GPU, if there is another 2080 that is better recommended around the price point, more than happy to be signposted.

Cheers,
JB

Soldato
Hi Lee,

Thanks for polishing up the build and the pointers.

I’m happy to make the change to Aorus MoBo if they are truly better than the Asus ones. I can see there is a WiFi version of that Aorus which is what I was after.

I wasn’t 100% set on that specific GPU, if there is another 2080 that is better recommended around the price point, more than happy to be signposted.

Cheers,
JB

A lot better on Z390 than Asus. The Gigabyte bios isn't as polished as Asus but that is a small price to pay for a better board. You also get UK RMA as well plus a rep who posts on the forum (GIGA Man).

Lots of things seem to be out of stock at the moment. The Gigabyte Aorus Pro Wifi is out of stock along with the gpu.

These are all in stock. Dropped back down to a 500GB SSD to keep it under the £2000 budget. Means you can get an even better board which still has Wifi.

Total: £1,979.18 (includes shipping: £15.30)

This MSI board also has built in WiFi for less cash. Then you could bump the SSD back up to 1TB if you wanted.

Total: £210.49 (includes shipping: £10.50)​

Associate
The Gigabyte Z390 boards have very good VRMs and power delivery, all but the basic board has the same setup. Remember when choosing components to try and get compatible RGB products if that’s your thing.

Also make sure the case you go for has sufficient fans of a good quality since 9th Gen Intel CPU’s need a lot of cooling and to get the best out of the GPU make sure there is enough intake and exhaust to move enough cool air through the case.

Associate
OP
Hi all,

Thanks for looking over the spec, I have found the Aorus Pro WiFi and it looks good so I’ll likely stick with that one rather than the ROG.

Am I also best going with a Gigabite 2080? Aside from that, I had seen an MSI Ventus model that I was considering at £665ish.

Do any of you have experience with a Phanteks Enthoo Evolov X case? Any glaring issue (besides cost)?

Thanks,
JB

Soldato
Hi all,

Thanks for looking over the spec, I have found the Aorus Pro WiFi and it looks good so I’ll likely stick with that one rather than the ROG.

Am I also best going with a Gigabite 2080? Aside from that, I had seen an MSI Ventus model that I was considering at £665ish.

Do any of you have experience with a Phanteks Enthoo Evolov X case? Any glaring issue (besides cost)?

Thanks,
JB

Pro Wifi is a good mobo, 12+1 VRM set up to full IR 12+2 of the Master - whilst doing the same job cheaper

Even OCUK gave a very good review, pro asus and hated gigabytes z370 boards

https://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/cpu_mainboard/gigabyte_z390_aorus_pro_review/1

vrm are cooler then most flagships. what they didn't state it you can run M.C.E with Prime 95 for 6 odd hours and it wont throttle unlike the asus boards - but that will only effect about 5% of z390 owners as most are gamers

case is well made! have the mATX version of the older design

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/phanteks-evolv-x-p600s.18821965/page-45

^^ worth checking out

I use the dynamic case :D

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...performance-contender-arrives.18817302/page-8

and also, the Gigabyte card, Push the Gaming due to getting 4 years (4th you have to register ). all UK warranty and RMA , even with Gigabyte rep on here to lend a hand . ZOtac is 5, but still think OCUK handle 3 yrs and last two is Hong Honk but may of changed .
also the Gaming is 2.5 slot cooler to the windforce 2 slot and 3 year warranty

Back
Top Bottom