advice on tidying up loop

Associate
OP
Took the loop out as a whole separate unit and because the tubes are so short I needed the help of my gf to get the pump/res above the radiator and block so the air would leave out of the top of the res, I filled the res up as the coolant lowered and now there's only a tiny bit of air left in there.

I just want a fan controller ( mainly as I've ran out of headers for the pumps plug), some lighting and that'll be it, until I spend a load of money on it again and probably add the gpu with roof mounted rad and a new cpu block ^^

Associate
OP
Well, the outlet tube from the top of the cpu block to the inlet at the top of the reservoir is flat! Already! Seriously considering PETG, not sure how to bend it (heat from a hairdryer do it?). Presumably you cut it with a hack saw? Shouldn't be too difficult surely?

Associate
OP
Well while I was rotating it all out of the case to try and get air out I somehow moved that tube from a higher position (look at original photos) to where it is now, so maybe it needs twisting on the barb at one end or the other but I think it's time I learned how to hard tube now, it's just more expense

Soldato
My bet is that since you have got rid of ALL the air in the loop, it is the pump sucking in the tube, which in a normal loop, with an air bubble left in the rad, would be accommodated by the water level dropping slightly. My theory is that it is the flexibility of the brass channels in the rad which mean the loop "volume" wants to increase as they are essentially inflated by the loop pressure, to the point where the pressure has to equalise somewhere else, which in a normal loop would be in the res with the air bubble. This is my explanation why the water level drops slightly when you start the pump. Since it looks like you've got rid of every last bit of air, your tube is being sucked in instead. If the tube resistance to buckling was also been disturbed by the shift in the fittings then it will be worse still. Which port on the res do you have that extra internal tube attached to btw?

Associate
OP
hmm could be! I don't have an extra tube in there now, it was just to help get rid of bubbles. I was thinking of putting one on top of the radiator to act as an air pocket, was that what you were thinking?

Soldato
What I meant was in order for that res to be used like you have it with an inlet at the top it must have the extra internal tube screwed into the port being used as the inlet. I'm talking about he silvery looking tube in the pic in post #10 in this thread. If you have left this out then if there was any air left in the loop it would rise back up to the cpu, as it appears to do in your photo on post #15. It definitely needs the internal tube in order for it to be able to trap air in the res as it should do when using a top inlet port. Having some air in the res I am betting would stop the tube being sucked in. You could in theory add a tube to a top port on the rad at it kind of do the same job, i.e. air will collect in there and allow for some expansion, but it would look a bit weird I would have thought.

Associate
OP
ahhh is that what that is for, I thought it was one of those anti-swirl things, I'm not sure I have it anymore, I'll have a look though and if I do I'll put it in, thank you Bubo!

Back
Top Bottom