Advice on wiping HDD's for a Charity so they can be resold?

Associate
I haven't really needed to wipe Hard Drives in a long time, back then I used DBAN. Have things changed in recent years? What's the best software for wiping potentially sensitive Data? I've done some research and BitRaser and Blancco seem viable options. What would you guys recommend?

Associate
OP
Thanks guys! I personally us EaseUS Partion Master as I can wipe multiple drives at the same time and I like the UI and other functions within the Application. So am I right in assuming that most software with a 5 pass or above is sufficient? I heard that any more than this is putting undue stress on the HDD.

Is there an Industry Standard for wiping Data? I'd love to hear from people who do this as part of their Job.

Thanks

Associate
OP

There's so many rules and regulations when it comes to wiping Data. Certain customers want their Data handled in different ways. One want us to use Blancco. At £23.33 per License to wipe one Drive is insane. We are supposed to get accredited certification to ISO 27001 as well which is costly. Then there are new laws coming into affect in May, GDPR. Lots of research to be done!

Soldato
There's so many rules and regulations when it comes to wiping Data. Certain customers want their Data handled in different ways. One want us to use Blancco. At £23.33 per License to wipe one Drive is insane. We are supposed to get accredited certification to ISO 27001 as well which is costly. Then there are new laws coming into affect in May, GDPR. Lots of research to be done!

I've used Blancco professionally in the past. Top package, Blanccco server PXE boot, full reporting etc. Was nowhere near £23 a drive, but we were doing 1000+ machines per month, many servers with multiple drives and the like.

I would personally use DBAN, that's what it is for. If they are expecting certification and accountability then advise it's probably not the best field for a charity to be dabbling in

Soldato
Check for bitcoin wallets first...

Didn't someone post a while back that a girl he knew at work died and her parents gave her PC to charity.....with a couple hundred BTC in a wallet

Back
Top Bottom