Advice please - on sound card choice

Associate
I am building a new rig but I am having trouble getting to grips with the current state of play in the sound card market.

I absolutely do not want to use a motherboards on-board sound except as an emergency backup.

I will be using a Videologic Sirocco Crossfire 4.1 sound system running off the sound card, though due to space limitations I am only using the 2 front channel satellite speakers with the sub woofer in a 2.1 configuration. This is unlikely to change in the short to medium term.

I am increasingly using headphones and have a halfway decent set of stereo headphone - old Sennheiser 540 Reference Golds. It is important the souncard gives good headphone reproduction - decent surroundsound in games would be nice.

Usage is primarily games, sometimes a bit of music, occasionally watch a film.

I have a collection of well over 300 games going back to 1988. Backwards compatibility is THE major issue for me. Realistically I don't expect to play games written in the pre windows DOS days on the new card - but I expect any new soundcard to be backwards compatible to about 10 years ago.

I have always gone for Creative cards due to the compatibility issue up tp now- but I hate loath and despise creative for their appalling driver support over the years.

One real area of doubt for me is the change to the soundcard market after Vista came out. My machines at home use XP and Win2K. I am vaguely aware of hearing about Vista causing problems with old sound cards. What was that all about? Does it also apply to Win7. I will be using XP and Win7 on the new rig.

Cost isn't an issue but if I was going to spend more than £100 I would want to understand the reasons.

Thanks in advance

Caporegime
All I can say is I have bought my Auzentech recently (see sig) and I don't regret it. Bearing in mind I haven't yet got the speakers to iron out the current 'bottleneck' as I use several years old creative intrigue speakers so god knows how good its going to be in a few days when I get some 7.1 headphones. Obviously a massive improvement:D (I currently use a 12yr old sony walkman earphones:))

Associate
My Creative Fatalty takes pride of place on my fire place since since replacing it with a Xonar D2x.
even though ive only got a 2.1 speaker system the sound quality is so much better
and awsome through new Roccat Kave surround headset.

Minor issues with the floppy power connector but working full speed now :)

Soldato
My Creative Fatalty takes pride of place on my fire place since since replacing it with a Xonar D2x.
even though ive only got a 2.1 speaker system the sound quality is so much better
and awsome through new Roccat Kave surround headset.

Minor issues with the floppy power connector but working full speed now :)

What were the issues?

Thinking about picking one of these up as the final piece to my new sound system (540A & pair of Tannoy F1's).

Associate
Well initially my system wouldnt recognise it as a sound card, kept saying it was a pci to pci bridge device or something
after a lot of googling and search the Asus site i finally updated the bios on my xfx 680i
and it worked straight away.

2nd problem the sound level was very very quite.
again after a lot of searching seems there has been problems with the power connector which is a floppy connector just not doing its job i.e connecting :rolleyes:

found various suggestions as how to rectify this , including using a tie wrap to pull the connectors together more securely :rolleyes:

In the end i just used a spare floppy power lead and it worked fine

No problems since ..

Even after these issues it doesn't come close to the problems i had with creative and its so called drivers and fully recommend the Xonar ;)

Back
Top Bottom