• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Advice - Replace FX8350 with like, downgrade to 6350 or switch to Intel alternative?

Soldato
So I'm currently looking to replace a dead CPU, but I'm not sure which avenue to go down. I can get a like for like replacement and pitch in for another [link="[URL]https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CP-336-AM&groupid=701&catid=1967[/URL]"]FX8350[/link], or I can pick up the notably cheaper [link="[URL]https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CP-347-AM&groupid=701&catid=1967[/URL]"]FX6350[/link], or I could scrap the AMD path and go for an Intel replacement.

The problem came about when replacing the cooler after using the stock cooler for a year or two. The CPU had fused to the bottom of the cooler, meaning I couldn't get to the bar to release the CPU properly and a bit of force had to be employed. I then had to dab the edges of the CPU with TIM clean and work it off with a bit of floss, again with a little (more than I was comfortable with) force applied. Upon reassembly, lights kicked in and fans whirred but nothing went out to my monitor - no motherboard boot screen, no display at all. I don't know if it's the CPU or the motherboard or possibly both, but something needs to be replaced, likely both the processor and motherboard but I'm not sure.

The primary use will be gaming - no video editing, no rendering , nothing else power-intensive at all. Should I stick with a like-for-like replacement, or explore an alternative options? My main concern is getting bang for buck, and as little buck as reasonably possible. Currently looking at a little over £200 for the same model processor and motherboard from OcUK.

Back
Top Bottom