• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Advice Required: CPU upgrade from a 5930k to? i9 LGA 1151 vs i9 X299

Associate
hi guys

Now using a 5930k 6 core

Ive had my current build now for 2.5 years, so i want/need a new build, as i constantly upgrade I will use my existing components:

32gb DDR4 Corsair 3000mhz vengeance pro
1500 watt PSU
1080ti soon to be a 2080ti

History:

so for my past 2 builds ive had a LGA 1366 and current build an X99 build

Future:

so quite naturally I'm aiming towards an X299 build

looking at a Intel I9-7900X 10 core and a I9-7920X 12 core

but Ive also spotted a Intel I9 LGA 1151 at £470

so the question is whats the best route I9 LGA 1151 or a I9 X299

What would you go for?>

Strictly for gaming only

Associate
OP
hello sir

honestly i only use it for playing video games only, at 1440p

whats important is that all the PCIE lanes are fully available, for a possible multi GPU set up, currently have a 1080ti, will undoubtedly get a 2080ti to or a 2080 sli, but that will be in the new year, 2nd qtr

currently Ive used all my lanes for wifi card and a sound card, im also gonna get a M.2 and I hear that M.2 will take bandwidth from your PCIE slot or it takes away a complete slot

I9 LGA 1151 or a I9 X299 is a big price difference

on the above facts what would you go for?

Soldato
The Intel HEDT platform has lost some of its previous appeal to consumers looking for a bit more from Intel now that they have broken away from only offering 4c8t 'high end' consumer cpu's (with the 7700k being the last of these processors)

For your usage don't bother with x299.. . It will be slower for your use case then a z390/ 9900k setup that can be had cheaper with a free game/ software bundle.

Main advantages of x299 are more pci-e lanes and quad channel memory which aren't particularly relevant if your a gamer as sli is largely dead and it doesn't yet look like nv link sli is going to be much better then the previous iteration. Better saving your money for the next gen card then slapping two cards into a system for rather hit and miss performance.

Don't forget to buy a decent board and a very good cooler in any event as I assume you'll be over clocking your CPU?

Last edited:
Associate
Even an 8700k will beat the x299 cpus in games.

The z390 boards come with wireless so that is not an issue and m.2 and the sound card can utilise the chipset pcie lanes.
This leaves the full x16 for either one gpu or it will split into x8, x8 for 2 gpus if you go that route.

These days on board sound is very good, certainly on higher end z390. However if you use a sound card then so long as you use a pcie slot connected to the chipset you will still have x16 direct to the cpu for a single gpu or x8, x8 for sli.

Finally, if you absolutely must have additional pcie lanes (for 2x x16 bandwidth for example) there are two boards, one from asus and one from supermicro that have plx chips which will increase the number of pcie lanes available.

Personally for your usage I would go z390.

Or wait and see what ryzen 3000 brings. I wouldn't go x299 for gaming.

Associate
OP
The Intel HEDT platform has lost some of its previous appeal to consumers looking for a bit more from Intel now that they have broken away from only offering 4c8t 'high end' consumer cpu's (with the 7700k being the last of these processors)

For your usage don't bother with x299.. . It will be slower for your use case then a z390/ 9900k setup that can be had cheaper with a free game/ software bundle.

Main advantages of x299 are more pci-e lanes and quad channel memory which aren't particularly relevant if your a gamer as sli is largely dead and it doesn't yet look like nv link sli is going to be much better then the previous iteration. Better saving your money for the next gen card then slapping two cards into a system for rather hit and miss performance.

Don't forget to buy a decent board and a very good cooler in any event as I assume you'll be over clocking your CPU?
Thank you for the input my friend

basically i use a internal pcie wifi adapter, its called a: ASUS PCE-AC88 AC3100 Dual-Band Wi-Fi PCIe Adapter

I use this because it partners up with my Asus RT-AC88U Router, i get very good performance wirelessly hence why I prefer this to standard motherboard wifi

I also have a SoundBlaster ZXR and again this is key because of the headphone amp I use with my high end cans, 600ohm

Also the 1080ti, so right now I have 3 components that I use on my motherboards PCIE lanes,

I wanted a m.2 but didn't get it because of the pcie lanes it steals, i currently have a X99 Asus Strix

I dont oc my stuff, lack of knowledge on that end, I just want a decent and sufficient gaming experience, basically maxing out all the eye candy on my 1440 gsync monitor

Sir will the mentioned z390/ i9 9900k set up accommodate 1 GPU 1 Sound Card and 1 Wifi Adapter, and possibly a M.2 Drive?

Associate
OP
Even an 8700k will beat the x299 cpus in games.

The z390 boards come with wireless so that is not an issue and m.2 and the sound card can utilise the chipset pcie lanes.
This leaves the full x16 for either one gpu or it will split into x8, x8 for 2 gpus if you go that route.

These days on board sound is very good, certainly on higher end z390. However if you use a sound card then so long as you use a pcie slot connected to the chipset you will still have x16 direct to the cpu for a single gpu or x8, x8 for sli.

Finally, if you absolutely must have additional pcie lanes (for 2x x16 bandwidth for example) there are two boards, one from asus and one from supermicro that have plx chips which will increase the number of pcie lanes available.

Personally for your usage I would go z390.

Or wait and see what ryzen 3000 brings. I wouldn't go x299 for gaming.
can you tell me which mobo you are referring to?

As I typed above will the i9 Z390 cover all that I require?

basically i use a internal pcie wifi adapter, its called a: ASUS PCE-AC88 AC3100 Dual-Band Wi-Fi PCIe Adapter

I use this because it partners up with my Asus RT-AC88U Router, i get very good performance wirelessly hence why I prefer this to standard motherboard wifi

I also have a SoundBlaster ZXR and again this is key because of the headphone amp I use with my high end cans, 600ohm

Also the 1080ti, so right now I have 3 components that I use on my motherboards PCIE lanes

I will abandon my quest to go SLI, i will just have one card, and then upgrade to a RTX 2080ti in due course.

But the importance of 1 GPU 1 sound card one wifi adapter is key, additionally if this CPU can also handle a M.2 then that will seal the deal, i will order 1 z390 intel i9 and a motherboard that can cover all my components
immediately

Associate
OP
the i9 9900k is slightly quicker in games than the 7900k . so gaming go with the 9900k
so even though the i9 7900k is a bigger and much more expensive CPU its little brother i9 9900k with out perform the 7900k? how is this possible,

is it because the i9900k is a gaming cpu?

Soldato
so even though the i9 7900k is a bigger and much more expensive CPU its little brother i9 9900k with out perform the 7900k? how is this possible,

is it because the i9900k is a gaming cpu?

They have different systems for communication between the different cores (ring vs mesh with the later scaling better with lot of cores but the former arguably being better for a more gaming orientated cpu with 8 cores) and the 9900k will generally overclock higher then the x299 cpu's.

Caporegime
there isnt much in it some games its neck and neck but on avg the i9 9900k just edges it. this is where you see what a great gaming cpu the 9900k is. 7900 was 1000 quid. so good cpu.

Associate
can you tell me which mobo you are referring to?

As I typed above will the i9 Z390 cover all that I require?

Also the 1080ti, so right now I have 3 components that I use on my motherboards PCIE lanes

I will abandon my quest to go SLI, i will just have one card, and then upgrade to a RTX 2080ti in due course.

But the importance of 1 GPU 1 sound card one wifi adapter is key, additionally if this CPU can also handle a M.2 then that will seal the deal, i will order 1 z390 intel i9 and a motherboard that can cover all my components
immediately

Z390 will be able to accomodate all of the pcie expansion cards you have listed as long as you buy a board that has enough physical slots. For example, you couldnt use itx or matx.

The cpu has x16 pcie lanes which can usually be used in either x16 / x8 + x8 / x8 + x4 + x4 or another config as specified by the mobo manufacturer.

In addition to this the z390 chipset provides an additional pcie lanes which add more physical pcie slots to the motherboard.

In my pc i had a soundcard, gpu and m.2 drive and still had slots free if i needed them.

The drawback to having limited pcie lanes is that if you use the pcie bandwidth of the direct cpu connection for a gpu and another card, then you wont get the full x16 speed on the gpu slot. For anything below a 2080ti this is not an issue and is unlikely to be noticeable with a 2080ti but will have a small impact.

However if you put the m.2, wifi and soundcard on the chipset (if possible with the board you select) then the gpu will get the full x16 lanes and bandwidth from the cpu.

In any case, even if you select z390 and a 2080ti and it runs in a slot in x8 mode, it will still be a faster system than an equivalent x299 with gpu in an x16 slot, because the 9900k is so much faster for gaming than the x299 cpu options.

Anything that you put into a slot that uses the chipset pcie lanes will be communicating with the cpu via a x4 link from the chipset. This is because the chipset and cpu are linked by a connection that is effectively pcie 3.0 x4 bandwidth. This will not be noticable unless you are considering several m.2 drives in raid, however it is worth keeping in mind.

If you decide you want a mobo with the plx chip which provides additional pcie lanes (not really required) then your options are the Asus WS Pro z390 board, or the Supermicro C9Z390-PGW. But be prepared to pay for it.

You could still wait for ryzen 3000 series which is likely to offer more pcie lanes from the cpu (20 iirc vs 16 of intel at least) and possibly even pcie 4.0 vs the current pcie 3.0

I hope that helps. I know its a lot of info but the short answer is that for gaming with the config you have specified z390 will be more than adequate and will be the faster platform than x299 due to the cpu.

Associate
OP
Z390 will be able to accomodate all of the pcie expansion cards you have listed as long as you buy a board that has enough physical slots. For example, you couldnt use itx or matx.

The cpu has x16 pcie lanes which can usually be used in either x16 / x8 + x8 / x8 + x4 + x4 or another config as specified by the mobo manufacturer.

In addition to this the z390 chipset provides an additional pcie lanes which add more physical pcie slots to the motherboard.

In my pc i had a soundcard, gpu and m.2 drive and still had slots free if i needed them.

The drawback to having limited pcie lanes is that if you use the pcie bandwidth of the direct cpu connection for a gpu and another card, then you wont get the full x16 speed on the gpu slot. For anything below a 2080ti this is not an issue and is unlikely to be noticeable with a 2080ti but will have a small impact.

However if you put the m.2, wifi and soundcard on the chipset (if possible with the board you select) then the gpu will get the full x16 lanes and bandwidth from the cpu.

In any case, even if you select z390 and a 2080ti and it runs in a slot in x8 mode, it will still be a faster system than an equivalent x299 with gpu in an x16 slot, because the 9900k is so much faster for gaming than the x299 cpu options.

Anything that you put into a slot that uses the chipset pcie lanes will be communicating with the cpu via a x4 link from the chipset. This is because the chipset and cpu are linked by a connection that is effectively pcie 3.0 x4 bandwidth. This will not be noticable unless you are considering several m.2 drives in raid, however it is worth keeping in mind.

If you decide you want a mobo with the plx chip which provides additional pcie lanes (not really required) then your options are the Asus WS Pro z390 board, or the Supermicro C9Z390-PGW. But be prepared to pay for it.

You could still wait for ryzen 3000 series which is likely to offer more pcie lanes from the cpu (20 iirc vs 16 of intel at least) and possibly even pcie 4.0 vs the current pcie 3.0

I hope that helps. I know its a lot of info but the short answer is that for gaming with the config you have specified z390 will be more than adequate and will be the faster platform than x299 due to the cpu.
oh thanks for that, can you then recommend a motherboard, one thing ive noticed from the pictures is that the X299 motherboards have an extra set of USB ports on the motherboard back plate, they also have an extra set of sata connectors for HDDs and SSDs compared to the Z390

I have 5 hard drives but im gonna get rid of a 1tb drive as its unused, so I suppose I NEED to research quite heavily on PCIE lanes being offered and also count the SATA connectors, having 4 HDDs and 2 SSDs

I can always add more usb as all i need is a USB adapter

Associate
OP
Do you have a fixed budget for the mobo / system?

@orbitalwalsh does some decent system configs. He may be able to pop in and suggest a few suitable options to go with what you already have.

hello

I have 600 pounds for a CPU
I have around £250 ish for the motherboard

I already have everything else, basically i need a cpu and mobo to create a new set up, I already have DDR4 ram at 3000mhz

People have recommended the i9 LGA Z390 because its better for gaming, its been confirmed that my WiFi Adapter GPU and sound card will work with no loss of bandwidth on the pcie lanes

my last 2 cpus have been 40 lane cpu, which obviously covers all the below:
But this time i want to add a m.2

so i need the cpu to manage everything

will the recommended cpu be sufficient for:

1 gpu
1 sound card
1 wifi adapter
1 m.2
2 SSDs
4 HDDs

then i have

All RGB Corsair:

Keyboard
mouse
usb led headstand
usb led mouse mat
Xbox controller
Apogee Groove DAC
USB Head set
, not always used
2 portable HDDs 4tb each

aahh just to make things worse i also have the nzxt usb splitter to connect the commander pro and the corsair rgb AIO cooler to the motherboards usb headers, which also have 2 corsair led boxes to cover 8 rgb fans

thats a lot of stuff i have connected to my PC so the current 6 core 5930k covers it totally

hence the research on the cpu purchase

Soldato
do you think a i7 5930k upgrade to a i9 will notice a speed change in my pc?

This all depends on what your currently limited in terms of performance. I would first check your current performance and where your limitation actually lies. So use something like MSI afterburner to check if typically the CPU or GPU is the limit in games you play. Generally speaking If your gaming at 1440p 60hz, then a new CPU may not actually change things as the 5930k overclocked is still a smashing CPU. If it’s a higher refresh rate 1440p panel or your showing as CPU bound, then yeah, a stronger CPU may show some benefits in order to deliver a higher FPS (at like for like settings and resolution, a higher refresh rate panel will place a higher load on the CPU in order to prepare more frames and deliver more info to the GPU).

In regards to x299 and mainstream, posts above largely cover it. With that I own both a 7980xe and 8700k and both overclocked and on high refresh rate panels do a smashing job. With the x299 CPUs however it means more hand holding in terms of tweaking the mesh clock speed, but also learning each individual core behaviour. I say that as once you learn each core behaviour you can tweak them individually. For that reason I can run a few cores at 5 GHz. A few more at 4.8 GHz and rest at 4.6 GHz which means for gaming I have the benefit of 5 GHz yet for multithreaded work loads is still a monster. Point being most bench’s and what have you tend to use a all core overclock on high core count CPUs and have it set at that across the board when in reality for gaming you can have another couple of cores to much higher to extract that little bit more performance for games. With that said mainstream is still the best really (8700k / 9900k etc) being able to do higher clock speed and with the architecture, but just pointing out if you tune x299 CPUs they still perform very solid for gaming and I have 0 issues when I decide to game on my 7980xe rig and high(ish)refresh rate panel.

Back
Top Bottom