Advice Required - Relentless Debt Collector

Soldato
Short version of events as follows :

I owned a property. I leased it out from Oct 2010 and never lived there again. I sold the property in April 2013.

I have had a utility company demanding £800 for the supply of electricity and gas. I have never had an account with this company. The date of supply is from 16-12-2013 to 17-12-2013, yes you read that right... £800 for utility supply for 24 hours... 8 months after I've sold the property. :rolleyes:

I explain all this to the debt company. They put "my" case on hold. About a month later, the process repeats itself. This has been going on for around 9 months.

Question is, where do I stand? How do I get them to stop harassing me?

TIA

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

** Edit **

Here's how the latest attempt to start all over again has panned out (I'll update as this pans out). Note how they have told me initially that the matter is urgent, I need to contact them by phone straight away. It's so urgent that I can provide a number and have them phone me. :eek:

Note also how they drip feed the "urgent" information over a period of almost 2 weeks... :rolleyes:

Them said:
This is an urgent message from BCW.

We have been attempting to contact you as we require to speak with you as soon as possible.

Could you please contact us on 0844 571 4070 quoting this unique reference number *********, or alternatively reply to this email with a contact telephone number and we will arrange for someone to contact you urgently.

Thank you
BCW

Me said:
If this is an urgent matter, please feel free to continue to communicate by email. Alternatively, you may write to me at my home address.

Thank you

Them said:
Thank you for your Email. We are acting on behalf of Scottish Southern Energy. Please do not hesitate to reply by return Email should you require any further assistance. Kind Regards Administration Department

Me said:
Sir / Madam,

This doesn't tell me much. Please feel free to elaborate.

Thank you

Them said:
Thank you for your e-mail. We are representing Scottish and Southern Energy in regards to an outstanding balance of £453.56 relating to supply at ****************. If you require any further information please do not hesitate to contact us. Kind regards, Administration department

Me said:
Hi,

I haven't lived at that address since October 2010. I have never had an account with Scottish and Southern Energy.

Why are you contacting me about this?

Thanks

They've still to get to the part where they tell me it's for 24 hours worth of supply on a date when I didn't even own the property...

Last edited:
Caporegime
ignore them?

or whenever they phone have long in depth conversations about how your imaginary grand children are doing in school.

"hello this is Johnathan from debt clollectors r us"

"ohhhhh hi johnny how are you? you'll never guess what happened today"

"err wait im calling about.."

"yes little timmy went and got in a fight at school again even after all that time you spent talking to him about rights and wrongs

"what ive never spoken to a timm.."

"oh you your so modest you never take credit for how much you help Timmy out with all those long camping trips away "

Continue interrupting him till he hangs up, and hope one day that recorded conversation comes up in a training situation :p

Soldato
OP
Have you sent them evidence of the sale of the property in writing etc ?
Give them details of the new owners ?

I sent them evidence of sale when they first contacted. After that I'm thinking, why do I need to prove that I didn't live somewhere anyway? Surely the burden of proof is on them? So, yes they have had their proof. I also questioned how they could justify £800 for 24 hours supply, and that if I did live there I wouldn't be paying that bill anyway...

"Fair point, we'll put your account on hold and get back to you."

:cool:

One month later....
"We are contacting you because you owe our client £800 for the supply...."

:mad:

i think if you have complete proof.. go to your lawyer. let your lawyer solved your problem.

Would probably be cheaper paying the bill I don't owe, surely?

Man of Honour

Who?

It will either be an outsourcer chasing on behalf of the utility provider or at the age of the debt something that has been sold to a debt purchaser more than likely who seeks to make anything they can from their purchased book.

I would probably approach them differently, hence the question.

Soldato
Write to them (recorded delivery, maybe a copy email counterpart) and tell them to stop contacting you and that any further contact will be considered harassment and you will go to the police. If they think you owe money, which you have already given them enough details to prove you don't, then they will need to commence court proceedings as you will not be paying otherwise.

Soldato
How about...

Write to the debt collector stating the facts and send via Special Delivery so you can prove delivery. Can you enclose a copy of anything from a solicitor showing you sold the house in April 2013?

I would also put in the letter than you will consider any further attempts to chase you for the debt will be considered harassment. You will then report them to the police and/or take them to court to pursue damages (Protection from Harassment Act IIRC)

Another option would be the FCA which mentions a scenario like this here

Caporegime
Call the police(not 999) and report them for harrasment... ignore the letters unless there is something related to court.

Perhaps write to the utility company, make official complaint with them - also raise the silly bill with their ombudsman service if not resolved.

Soldato
OP
Who?

It will either be an outsourcer chasing on behalf of the utility provider or at the age of the debt something that has been sold to a debt purchaser more than likely who seeks to make anything they can from their purchased book.

I would probably approach them differently, hence the question.

"BCW Group – an arvato company"

I think you're right. They've bought the debt.

Soldato
OP
Try this forum, they have all the ways to keep them at bay.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/index.php

I damn near committed suicide when my business went bust with all the threats and harassment. Then I spoke to some people on that forum who gave me letter templates etc. It held them off till I could get myself sorted and pay the money back.

Sorry to hear of your trouble. I'll post on there.

Soldato
My good lady had major harassment problems from a high street bank who I am not allowed to name under the terms of the damages won from them. But you do need to nip this in the bud as it can quite quickly get out of hand. We had massive bailiffs turning up at the door trying to gain access. So if it costs you money using a lawyer to get this sorted so be it. Claim it back with damages from the company. That's all they understand, they really do not like us plebs fighting back.

Soldato
I would just keep replying with proof that the property is not owned by you and was sold April 2013, over and over. Recorded delivery etc etc

Notify the necessary bodies of this harassment also.

Soldato
This reminded me of a utility bill requesting my nan in her 80's to pay 29p or there abouts.

I guess there was some discrepancy in the monthly bills, it makes you wonder what kind of absolute idiots work in these company's asking for such a little amount when they could write it off saving themselves more in postage costs and being ***** worrying an elderly person!

Back
Top Bottom