Advice to potential first time new car buyer (PCP)

Man of Honour
....and if you do just hand it back, deciding whether having spent £16k for 4 years for a nice car was worth it or not.

One thing that bothered me a bit - for many models you can find a 12-18 month old version, possibly even newer, with low miles, for about half the price of the new car on finance. I don't mind spending a lot of money and prefer to buy stuff new rather than used but I don't tend to chuck money around for the sake of it.

i guess you could, but i doubt they will. as TRL doesn't work on-site, so i guess he gets better deals

On that note - I was looking at pickups recently and I couldn't get any movement on price (not really surprising) but some of the dealers were quite happy to add on a ton of extras if I bought there and then for no or minimal extra cost. No guarantee though I suspect you have to catch em on the right day, etc.

Last edited:
Associate
tbh, bin the reversing camera - it's a 1 series, not an estate.
I'm fine with gloves in winter, so no need for the heated steering wheel
pro media - tbh, I left mine at business and not too bothered
Electric memory seats - if it's only you driving it 90% of time then why?
adaptive headlights - I didn't bother, but can see the appeal

Others, i think i got. but, I did add HK audio and tinted windows.

Man of Honour
Metallic paint
definitely unless you want poverty spec white

Adaptive LED lights
yes, definitely again, the non-adaptives have lower power

M suspension maybe
adaptive suspension means you can change the ride settings (soft/hard) depending on what you want
got it in my car, love it

pro media pack (although not 100% what all that includes)
big screen nav. 100% must have.

I did add HK audio and tinted windows.
standard in the shadow edition, as is msport (blue) brakes

Soldato
OP
Well I'm coming from a Renault. So anything above a cup holder is a luxury to me. (and I have a Lotus Exige before that, so you get the idea of interior luxuries!)

Thanks for the help on options though.

Man of Honour
On that note - I was looking at pickups recently and I couldn't get any movement on price (not really surprising) but some of the dealers were quite happy to add on a ton of extras if I bought there and then for no or minimal extra cost. No guarantee though I suspect you have to catch em on the right day, etc.
@Shadowness end of the quarter is usually a good time to buy. sales targets and all that jazz. granted end of this quarter coincides with brexit - make of that what you will too.

Soldato
OP
Not if they have lots of these 140is in stock, which I'm told there are.

Would you not get a potentially better deal on a car sat in a showroom than ordering one? (assuming the showroom car had the spec you wanted.....or near enough)

Man of Honour
Not if they have lots of these 140is in stock, which I'm told there are.
there are, indeed

Would you not get a potentially better deal on a car sat in a showroom than ordering one? (assuming the showroom car had the spec you wanted.....or near enough)
not always. have to consider bmw+dealer contributions, APR (or bank loan), downpayment, mileage (assuming you're PCPing).
all these affects the actual price you pay.

Soldato
OP
So I couldn't resist and popped into Cotswold BMW. They had a lovely looking 140i in the showroom (although it is very grey!)
b737476dd74d053a42a598016bdfd676-full.jpg

Eventually sat down with quite a nice salesman, and had the chat. I just wanted some figures to go away with. I gave the options I would want, and he had a search. Turns out the best match he could find then, was the exact car in the showroom! Spec below:

a3ab55dc5b118388e0f3201aaf6fbdcf-full.jpg

And this was the deal he quickly whipped up......
(not sure if it's clear, but it's with £2k down (deposit says £6k not sure why)

f1c9e96ec0b031f3fb9b7e7e0bb1a943-full.jpg

So does that look pretty good?
Based on the figures from the TRL thread, it seems to be pretty similar based on this spec.
Not sure where to go from here.....is there room for a better deal? I'd have no way of going about it. I already stated that £350 would be an ideal figure, so I guess anything they can do to get it down to that. I imagine if it's sitting on the showroom, they want it gone ASAP?

I also have the option of P/X my R26 and use that as a deposit too.

Man of Honour
And this was the deal he quickly whipped up......
(not sure if it's clear, but it's with £2k down (deposit says £6k not sure why)

think you'll need to double check that.
are they giving you a £4k dealer deposit contribution? if they are, get it in writing.

Man of Honour
total value of car = £41428 (note that you'll need to pay the higher road tax)
cash price = £53343
i assume that the difference is BMW contribution = £5885

if dealer contribution is the £4000 (£6000 - £2000 cash), total contribution = £9885

not far off TRL's BMW+dealer £9990 contribution

Associate
do you check how to activate launch control just in case you get the car to yourself?!?

also, when on a dual carriageway, pull and hold the left paddle and stamp full throttle, it will auto jump down to the lowest gear for max acceleration and pull away :D (just make sure not to have it in manual mode, or it will only drop 1 gear while you're waiting for carnage, and feel like a spanner)

in all honesty, I love the car and how much of a sleeper it is, but it REALLY lacks a lsd to be truly epic. When it's wet, I miss my old MX5 in comparison for better sideways...

Back
Top Bottom