advise an audio noob

Associate
I currently have a sennheiser 323d headset which has seen better days so I think im going to treat my self to some new headphones

https://en-uk.sennheiser.com/gaming-headset-stereo-dolby-headphone-pc-323d

I'm looking at the fidelio x2hr or sticking with Sennheiser and going with the HD 599s.

The 323d I currently have come with a USB adapter. The 3dm1. If I get either of the above should I continue to use the USB adapter or switch to my motherboards onboard connection. Or would they be wasted without a AMP or something else.

I don't really listen to music often they will be primarily for gaming.

https://en-de.sennheiser.com/accessories--usb-adapter--3dm1-adapter

Or are there any other alternatives I should be considering ?

Soldato
The USB dongle thing gives you access to Dolby Headphone, so if you use motherboard audio instead, you won't get that.

I don't see why you can't use the 323D dongle with the HD599 headphones, or the X2HR. Like the 323 headset, both are easy to drive, in that they don't really need a good amp in the same way some other headphones do, such as AKG K702 for example.

HD599 special edition is £90 at the moment, and a good buy. That said; X2HR is not that much more at around £105 and also a good buy.

Not really sure which would make the best choice of those for gaming. I've seen people say they prefer the Sennheiser's, some people prefer the Philips. Comes to preference really, as do most things when it comes to audio. :p

Associate
OP
The USB dongle thing gives you access to Dolby Headphone, so if you use motherboard audio instead, you won't get that.

I don't see why you can't use the 323D dongle with the HD599 headphones, or the X2HR. Like the 323 headset, both are easy to drive, in that they don't really need a good amp in the same way some other headphones do, such as AKG K702 for example.

HD599 special edition is £90 at the moment, and a good buy. That said; X2HR is not that much more at around £105 and also a good buy.

Not really sure which would make the best choice of those for gaming. I've seen people say they prefer the Sennheiser's, some people prefer the Philips. Comes to preference really, as do most things when it comes to audio. :p

Thanks, I went with the Sennheiser's

Over the years I must have collected about 20 different 6.35 to 3.5mm audio jack adapters that have came with different things, now the one time I need one none of them will fit. They wont fit into the USB adapter so I need to order a wired one instead of a solid piece.

Soldato
Oh, that's one thing I forgot Sennheiser does with the HD5** range; fixed 6.35mm jacks on the cable, not 3.5mm.

I don't really understand why they do that. Maybe it gives an impression to some people that the headphones are more serious and professional than if they had 3.5mm? *shrug*

Trouble is that going from 6.3mm to 3.5mm, adds a bulky adaptor, or the need for flexible one. 3.5mm fixed jack with a 3.5mm to 6.35mm adaptor on top is less bulky, looks better and if done right, you can't tell that it isn't just a straight fixed 6.35mm jack.

Another thing Sennheiser likes to do, is the use of a proprietary cable connection that goes into the headphone. That's not unique to them though, others manufacturers use connection types where you can't just buy any standard replacement cable without it being specific to the headphone in question.

Philips just use a standard 3.5mm jack, so any 3.5mm cable will fit.

Maybe I should have mentioned these things, but I didn't think about them at the time. :p

Associate
OP
Oh, that's one thing I forgot Sennheiser does with the HD5** range; fixed 6.35mm jacks on the cable, not 3.5mm.

I don't really understand why they do that. Maybe it gives an impression to some people that the headphones are more serious and professional than if they had 3.5mm? *shrug*

Trouble is that going from 6.3mm to 3.5mm, adds a bulky adaptor, or the need for flexible one. 3.5mm fixed jack with a 3.5mm to 6.35mm adaptor on top is less bulky, looks better and if done right, you can't tell that it isn't just a straight fixed 6.35mm jack.

Another thing Sennheiser likes to do, is the use of a proprietary cable connection that goes into the headphone. That's not unique to them though, others manufacturers use connection types where you can't just buy any standard replacement cable without it being specific to the headphone in question.

Philips just use a standard 3.5mm jack, so any 3.5mm cable will fit.

Maybe I should have mentioned these things, but I didn't think about them at the time. :p

Its all good

There was a 3.5-3.5 cable included but it was very short, think its to use on mobile phones. I had read they use propriety connections so knew about that. The adaptor came today and I am pretty pleased with it so far, think I need to do some more configuration. Surprised how comfortable it is.

Back
Top Bottom