After a lightweight DVB Software? Are there any!?

Soldato
Just something simple, akin to VideoLan?

Ability to record, pause, and look at a basic epg would be great, had a look around but i really can't find anything that doesn't have all the bells and whilstles and big skins and designed to be readable at 10' ect! I haven't seen much but i was thinking something a little like eyeTV but for windows...

I've used Media Portal and GB-PVR but theyre trying to do too much for me, i want back to basics. This is my PC i use VideoLan for videos, Foobar for audio and *insert something lightweight* for my TV! Convergance sucks... :p

Pho

Pho

Soldato
I use GB-PVR; you can disable most of the plugins to leave you with only a couple of menu options if you like.

One good thing about is their forums if you have a problem. The developer is on there most of the day and he is quick to solve things :)

Soldato
OP
Hmmm its still much more than needed. Plus i'm not a fan of the way the EPG is implemented, i'm not saying its a bad program, but its not what i want. Ive got a trial of "AVS TV Box" its more what i'm after. Except it doesn't agree with my multimonitor setup. It only works on the primary monitor, and the EPG doesn't seem to want to work at present but i feel like i'm getting closer...

Any other ideas? There must be *something* out there!

Soldato
OP
Pinnacle dual DVB-T Pro PCI or something like that. I did have a Nova-t 500 but it didn't agree at all on a ahrdware level with my Shuttle ST20G5. I've found that DVBViewer scouting around, but they don't do a trial version, and i dont want to plop £10ish down on software that could have EPG and multi-mon support problems like the AVS TV Box...

Otherwise it does look almost perfect...

Man of Honour
I've got the same problem.

Freecom USB2 DVB-T on XP64. Got the drivers running and it's all happy, but the software available is just crap.

All I want is the TV/Radio and EPG. Don't even want timeshifting.

I've tried GB-PVR and Mediaportal adn they're both slow and clunky and hate multi monitor setups. :(

Grrrr....

Simon/~Flibster

Soldato
OP
Right finally got the program, a day later! Just setting it up now will report back soon with first thoughts, then maybe after a few days once i've figured out its major positives and negatives, i'll give a mini review :)

Soldato
OP
First impressions, amazing, well worth £10... It seems to do everything! And its not some cheap tacky skinned program like AVS TV Box, loads of advanced settings, i'm fiddling now to get it perfect, for example i've got sound on one tuner and not the other but both have video (dual pinnacle tuner). Thats the only problem so far, but i had the same problem with GBPVR and Media Portal too...

Soldato
OP
Right, i can't praise this software enough, its perfect for me, and fits everything i need, havent got the audio problem sorted out but that really is it... It even got the flashy GUI overviews if you want them, works with remotes (haven't tried mine yet, still too much to fiddle with!). If you need a lightweight player buy this!.

Flibster, get it, now...

Soldato
Anyone know if this works well in Vista? (Business, which is why I'm not using MCE)

I'm struggling to get anything working well - GB-PVR won't go full-screen properly, MediaPortal is horrible and slow and takes forever to do anything, DigiTV (it's a Nebula card) isn't compatible yet, etc etc. MCE actually works well (I installed Vista as Ultimate briefly without a serial number to try it) - but the cost is massively high for just PVR software. If this gets more good press I might give it a go - but I don't understand why there's not a trial. How difficult would it be to make a "view for 2 minutes" version?

On a plus side the tool that you can download finds all of the channels and previews them properly...

Soldato
OP
Right as for vista i can't say, i'm not moving to vista yet for this very reason. Way to much software hassle, but i have total faith in the software, this is written very well from what i can see... It's not crashed once and its been running almost constantly since i downloaded it, between radio and TV.

Flib it runs on secondary screen that i'm using as a TV through the same card unfortunately, can't check that it definately will as i'm in a shuttle with the TV card in th PCI slot! But you can render everything in OpenGL W7 WM9 which should mean its anything multiscreen compatible, that was the problem with AVS TV Box you couldn't force it to use the newer WM9.

Problems:
Using the Nvidia true vision pack or whatever instead of cyberlink installed on my PC gives wierd aspec ratio issues. The software has a button to counteract this, but the OSD gets messed up along the way, so you CANNOT use this and the special fancy GUI OSD. Also you can have the TV on one monitor, and EPG and channel list/changer on your main monitor and they both still (as they should) interact fine, making changing channel a dream!

It only controls master volume, i wish they had an option to set control over local (software) or master volume, but alas he hasn't managed this yet or i haven't found it. Which means if i mute the TV to put a quick MP3 on, the whole system is muted. So i have to close the program down. Minor pain really. Another quick get around it to "Closs graph" which is like shutting the TV off, but this option is hidden in context menus and you cant set it as a hotkey (tried) so if you're far away from the PC its a pain.

Hope all this helps, bottom line is its a very decent piece of software!

//Edit:
PinkPig said:
....but I don't understand why there's not a trial. How difficult would it be to make a "view for 2 minutes" version....?

It would be cracked to use forever within hours of its release? :p

PinkPig said:
On a plus side the tool that you can download finds all of the channels and previews them properly...

You mean like a mosaic? I've not checked i will now, but this does mosaic, but i doubt it would be live updating... (for obvious reasons)

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm glad you like it. Did you try the slimline GE version yet? Checkout their forums as well very helpful. Helped me get a cam working for Sky, dozens of free plugins as well.

Soldato
OP
No i haven't tried the GE version, basically the Pro does everything and more for me with minimal CPU fuss or anything. I don't want to strip it down completely! The OSD is pretty :)

On a side note, i've found if i'm time-shifting i get a different OSD to the normal one, one which gives me the ability to pause play etc... but i don't get on the spot EPG info, which is annyoing...

The forums seem pretty great, and the developer i emailed about not getting my key got in touch immeadiately! So my experience so far has been fantastic! I dont think i could rate it any better, ive not been so impressed about a piece of software for ages, there is just nothing like it on the market...

Hope i'm selling this well guys, i'm getting commision ;)

Associate
You sold it well, I've just spent £10 of my hard-earned.

I had to disable Media Center services for the Transedit demo to work but all seems to be promising now with my Blackgold card.

Soldato
sorry to bump an old thread, but im interested in something better than wintv2000 for my hauppauge card it says its compatible, just want to know if LeperousDust is still happy with it and found anything else he would like to add before i pay £10

Back
Top Bottom