****Age of Empires IV****

Soldato
I got mine via MS store. Yes the scrolling message is beyond stupid. I may give it another go later. I still can't get over the graphics. I expected much more visually. But as people have said its very AOE 2. I'm good with that although disappointed.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
a lot of streamers / reviewers reckon it's only set at low to medium graphics settings as it's only to stress test the servers and it's also a old build of the game too.
Weird, it should just lock High settings in the menu if true. Also I only got like 50fps but my CPU and GPU is being barely used. Poor performance, poor graphics and to honest just overall poor game. No innovation what so ever.

honest just overall poor game. No innovation what so ever.
Honestly I think a lot of people will want this.

Look at the list of games played for all aoe games.

Number 2 still has competitions, steamers etc playing this game. 3 not so much.

To me, I essentially am looking for what two point did with theme hospital. The same game, just a 2020 version.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Honestly I think a lot of people will want this.

Look at the list of games played for all aoe games.

Number 2 still has competitions, steamers etc playing this game. 3 not so much.

To me, I essentially am looking for what two point did with theme hospital. The same game, just a 2020 version.
Might as well just play the definitive edition then no? There needed to be innovation imo.

We will see I suppose, but from what I saw there is not a £50 game there. I will wait for a major discount before buying. Disappointing.
They should have not called it Age of Empires 4 imo.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Had my last go before uninstalling. Wiped the floor with the guy who was playing defensive :D

I avoided building walls and made army but did not attack. In the end I went about killing some of his villagers with my cav and then made a huge brick wall from one side of the map to the other boxing him in to around 20-25% of the map. Not far of his walls actually. Then got me trebuchets' and started bombarding him from my side of the wall. That's when he panicked and sent all his army which my crossbowmen and cannons made mincemeat off. In the mean time the building you build (forgot the name) that lets you auto win if not destroyed completed.

That was actually more fun due to a much better map, but still not the game I was after overall and I will only buy once I can get it on the cheap. Give them time to balance and fix bugs. Lets be honest, those take forever in a game like this anyway, so no rush.

Soldato
Thought it was good, but no way on earth is it a £50 game. Given the limited scope they have in terms of gameplay changes I'd expect the graphics to be significantly better than what they've come up with here....but it all looks a bit meh and tbh 10year old Anno games look way better.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Thought it was good, but no way on earth is it a £50 game. Given the limited scope they have in terms of gameplay changes I'd expect the graphics to be significantly better than what they've come up with here....but it all looks a bit meh and tbh 10year old Anno games look way better.
Exactly. I just do not get it. Why do they think it is worth the asking price with such low effort?

Soldato
Just played through the tutorial. It's OK at best. It doesn't seem particularly amazing in respect to visuals or gameplay though. I certainly wont be shelling out £50 for it. Quite disappointed in fact.

Loved it. Played it today and will have a go again tomorrow.

I can definitely see what some users mean about innovation, but I think they are on the right path. This is literally aoe2 with updated everything.

The fall animations of the walls are great, the way you mine things and they slowly get smaller, I really appreciate the improvements and how it is so similar.

The few things I'm disappointed with.

1. They set the population limit to 200 for testing, but I really hope its something stupid now like 500/750 max population per player. Would he extremely bad if its still just 250 all these years later.

2. The game doesn't zoom out or in enough. Feels way too close for me liking.

3. Doesn't appear to be any multi monitor support. I guess it would be a huge advantage for players with 2 monitors v.s someone with just 1, but it's sad to now have this ability.

4. Its still as hard as ever to manage your resource gathering once you get to 3/4 through a game as you concentrate on fighting, while your workers run out of stone to mine etc. Partly an issue as resources are not infinite, but it is sometimes frustrating to have to have this problem, especially as it happens when you have 50 odd workers, you quickly chuck them on some stone while you're busy managing your army, but it's quickly all mined and they are doing nothing again.

5. It seems stone and gold only comes in 1 size. Shame as I liked stone having large clusters, but also smaller single square clusters around it. Now you just get 1 lump

Back
Top Bottom