****Age of Empires IV****

Man of Honour
Thought it was good, but no way on earth is it a £50 game. Given the limited scope they have in terms of gameplay changes I'd expect the graphics to be significantly better than what they've come up with here....but it all looks a bit meh and tbh 10year old Anno games look way better.

It is on gamepass from day one, so at least nobody has to pay £50 for it :)

Soldato
Some of the graphics from AOE3 DE look better then what's being served up in the 4th installment. Can't help but feel the game has been gimped so it can be run on mobile devices. Still so long as the core gameplay holds up it shouldn't matter.

Btw the semi finals and final for Red Bull Wollo V $100K tournament is on Twitch and YouTube today in case anyone is interested (AOE 2 DE - Empire Wars). An impressive amount of money has been spent on the production for this week long event.

Last edited:
Soldato
Played one game yesterday and I think I agree with what most have posted (aside the bits that make resource management hard, that's what the game is about :) ) in that, it doesn't really feel any different to previous versions.

Soldato
Spent all day on this yesterday, day 1 purchase for me. It's AoE 2 DE updated which is all I wanted. I think they had to tread a fine line between a refresh and changing too much like AoE 3 which I hated.
I have a switch, so I guess I'm used to 50 quid games..

Agreed. I do see what others are saying, the more I play it, the more I'm wishing for more. I can see myself playing this a ton when it's first out, and then all of a sudden ill just stop and not go back.

Perhaps one thing I'd like peace mode, where it's just a building game but in a massive scale, but then perhaps I should just play banished for that.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
But guys, why not do what they did and add more to it? Why not have better graphics? Just does not feel like a new game, let alone worthy to be called Age of Empires 4.

Had they called it Age of Empires: Age of the Lazy Devs or something I would not be so bothered as it would make sense that it is catering to the Age of Empires 2 crowd. Then use Age of Empires 4 to try something more innovative, not a reskin and tweak of a 20+ year old game.

Should be called AOE2, the definitive definitive edition 4k remaster.
Haha agreed.

Are we aware of what other game modes there are? I would like to think the maps are better now, better game modes etc we just haven't seen these yet with the limited test mode.

Also, anyone know what price the lated COD game goes for at release? Pretty sure it's more than £50 and gets a new one yearly

Soldato
I forgot to add that I will still get it as part of game pass and prob would have bought it anyway, only because AOE2 DE is quiet now online.

Only complaint apart from the lack of innovation is the zoom, I wish we could zoom out more as seems to focused in on a small map area currently.

Soldato
Haha agreed.

Are we aware of what other game modes there are? I would like to think the maps are better now, better game modes etc we just haven't seen these yet with the limited test mode.

Also, anyone know what price the lated COD game goes for at release? Pretty sure it's more than £50 and gets a new one yearly
The worst bit is I bet COD sells more too.

Man of Honour
My overall conclusion is that I have spent far too many years playing the Anno series and have completely forgotten how to play AoE style games, I cant even beat (or survive all that long) a single AI on easy ! Before I know it...say within 15 mins, the easy AI is sending wave after wave of cavalry and infantry at me, usually accompanied by a few battering rams before I even have 1 battering ram :D

Soldato
My overall conclusion is that I have spent far too many years playing the Anno series and have completely forgotten how to play AoE style games, I cant even beat (or survive all that long) a single AI on easy ! Before I know it...say within 15 mins, the easy AI is sending wave after wave of cavalry and infantry at me, usually accompanied by a few battering rams before I even have 1 battering ram :D
Wanna 1 v 1 ha I'm the same.

Soldato
yeah the "easy" AI really isnt all that easy thats for sure.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Easy AI I found easy, it was the intermediate one which was the first I tried that caught me off guard. They sent so many units my way, I had not made one yet as I was playing Anno up until that point. I had to resign, haha. For the easy one I just made some walls and put crossbow men on them.

Associate
It’s been a long time since I last played a AoE game, so I thought I’d try the stress test. I enjoyed it and I’ll be buying the full game when it releases.

Soldato
Not long until this is released, out Thursday, looking forward to it!

I have watched some YouTube videos of the Campaign and it looked absolute quality, the production value is off the scale, looks like something from the History Channel, if the Campaign is like that all the way through i'd be seriously impressed

Back
Top Bottom