****Age of Empires IV****

Soldato
This is going to be a bit of a random question.. but is anyone else using the Game Pass version of the game also getting ridiculous amounts of Event Viewer errors when booting the game?

Under Windows Logs > System I get 200+ Warning level Event 51, disk errors with the description "An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk2\DR4 during a paging operation." every single time I start the game.

I was tracing another issue and noticed this. My boot drive is error free so wondering if the game is using some sort of virtual drive for some reason.

Associate
This is going to be a bit of a random question.. but is anyone else using the Game Pass version of the game also getting ridiculous amounts of Event Viewer errors when booting the game?

Under Windows Logs > System I get 200+ Warning level Event 51, disk errors with the description "An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk2\DR4 during a paging operation." every single time I start the game.

I was tracing another issue and noticed this. My boot drive is error free so wondering if the game is using some sort of virtual drive for some reason.

Not had any issues at all using the Game Pass version.

Soldato
Not had any issues at all using the Game Pass version.

I'm not having AOE4 specific issues either but the volume of warnings in Event Viewer was a bit odd. Wonder if someone could fire up the game, close it and then check Event Viewer for that error in under Windows Logs > System.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hit the first level that got me a bit stumped and I'm only playing on Easy!

Will have to re-do it this evening as I wasted a lot of resources by building some stone towers facing the wrong direction and wasted the Calvary that was sent to me but was rather frustrating.

Not played an RTS title since the first Warcraft or a few games of Stronghold with my uncle back in about 2000 so I'm essentially an RTS newbie but I'm having a lot of fun with it so far

Soldato
I am enjoying it so far, the graphics are ok, they probably could make it look a lot better, but it's a real time strategy game, and it is all about the gameplay which is fantastic, just plays like an old school Age of Empires game. No point having a great looking game and naff gameplay :p. 11

Only had one CTD that was when I was about to attack the enemy in their base, bit annoying! But it hasn't happened since

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
How are you all getting on? I have completed the Normans campaign and stared the French one, plus loads of games online.

After getting to play it a decent amount my initial feelings have changed and become more positive. Would have still liked better graphics and more innovative gameplay, but can’t complain much about what we got in the end. Maybe they can try and push the envelope in Age of Empires 5.

How are you all getting on? I have completed the Normans campaign and stared the French one, plus loads of games online.

After getting to play it a decent amount my initial feelings have changed and become more positive. Would have still liked better graphics and more innovative gameplay, but can’t complain much about what we got in the end. Maybe they can try and push the envelope in Age of Empires 5.
Funny as my feelings have gone the other way with this. At first I really liked it, but as time has gone on, I'm bugged by the limits they set. For instance 15 years ago AOE2 had a limit of 250 people. All this time later, and now 200 is the limit. That's a big difference as it means killing half your workers after a certain point just so you can have a decent army. I was expecting 300+, maybe 350 now to be the limit.

I want to make my own maps.

Kill the commander is that present? I haven't seen it yet.

Playing against the AI still have the same disappointing game play. At first they are difficult, but eventually, once you get over a certain hurdle, you've clearly won, it's just how quickly can you kill them. They don't make good bases, they don't have the knowledge how to build a defensive base. I wish you could have play styles set for ai to allow different game styles. E.g have one that's super aggressive that just puts all its resources into attacking. Another normal. Another that just defends the hell out of itself. Building walls, with more than just 1 layer. Building towers etc, so that you have to amass a massive army and really struggle to get through.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Funny as my feelings have gone the other way with this. At first I really liked it, but as time has gone on, I'm bugged by the limits they set. For instance 15 years ago AOE2 had a limit of 250 people. All this time later, and now 200 is the limit. That's a big difference as it means killing half your workers after a certain point just so you can have a decent army. I was expecting 300+, maybe 350 now to be the limit.

I want to make my own maps.

Kill the commander is that present? I haven't seen it yet.

Playing against the AI still have the same disappointing game play. At first they are difficult, but eventually, once you get over a certain hurdle, you've clearly won, it's just how quickly can you kill them. They don't make good bases, they don't have the knowledge how to build a defensive base. I wish you could have play styles set for ai to allow different game styles. E.g have one that's super aggressive that just puts all its resources into attacking. Another normal. Another that just defends the hell out of itself. Building walls, with more than just 1 layer. Building towers etc, so that you have to amass a massive army and really struggle to get through.
Agreed. I have beat the AI on every difficulty. As long as you survive the early rush it is super easy after. I read something about them using machine learning or something, but I can't see any of that as no walls or them adapting from what I can see.

That's why I mainly play unranked games. Those are elo rating based so you usually get similar ranked players. I can go on a winning streak for a while and then a losing streak.

Soldato
Started playing online today, just random 2v2 to 4v4 matches. I think it's probably best I stay away from 1v1 for now! Hah

Loved the campaign, the Masteries got a little boring but still a nice intro to the civs and the Art of War bit is quite fun but they should sync the completion times with friends on a ladder, just to make it a little more interesting.

Soldato
Bought this for my wife and I since we both loved AoE2. Really pleased with it, seems like they've really tried to stick with what made AoE2 great AND go perhaps even deeper on the history aspect.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Finally completed the campaign. Was really good. Much better than the campaign on AoE3.

Played it so much now that I think I got to the point where I may prefer it to AoE3, which is saying something as I really liked that game.

Got used to the graphics also now :p

I've some reason totally lost interest in the game now. Can't find myself wanting to play it.

I think in reality, I'd like a much slower longer term version of aoe, where you play it over many sessions to create a large empire.

200 map limit, and the maps not being that big, really are a shame imo.

Aoe2 had 250 limit. Aoe4 all these years later has just 200.

Back
Top Bottom