Ageism should we tolerate it?

Caporegime
good for OAPs whats wrong with some people

NHS get discounts almost everywhere, police, fire brigade... usually much bigger than 10% too... half the people getting those bonuses will be admin staff, managers, and people who aren;t actually doctors, nurses etc

all subsidised by normal customers

Soldato
Old people are not the one's likely to be struggling in 2022, no one dislikes old people but financially they aren't a disadvantaged group these days.

Soldato
B&Q used to do this every Wednesday - it was hilarious. You'd see so many blokes (30, 40, 50+) dragging their elderly mothers/fathers around as they stocked up on building materials.

Caporegime
It is a weird one but age-related discounts have been around for ages, surely you remember getting a "young person's railcard"?

I'm pretty sure my bus pass to get to secondary school cost less than an adult one too.

One of the exceptions listed there is concessions and discounts so it is apparently legal to price discriminate on the basis of age when providing goods or services.

Soldato
It is a weird one but age-related discounts have been around for ages, surely you remember getting a "young person's railcard"?

I'm pretty sure my bus pass to get to secondary school cost less than an adult one too.

One of the exceptions listed there is concessions and discounts so it is apparently legal to price discriminate on the basis of age when providing goods or services.

They were around because they used to be a disadvantaged group, now most old people are in a better position than their children

Caporegime
As a matter of interest what do you think the average pensioner brings in per month - Come on just give a honest answer of what you think it is.
It's irrelevant. It's about accessible wealth, not monthly income.
Who is richer, someone earning 2k per month or someone on state pension but with 500k in the bank?

"On average individual wealth increases with age, peaking in the 60-to-64 age group at a level nine times as high as the 30-to-34 age group, before falling in older age groups as people use their wealth to support life in retirement."

Soldato
As a matter of interest what do you think the average pensioner brings in per month - Come on just give a honest answer of what you think it is.
Are we discounting the several hundred percentage gains on the house they bought for next to nothing, or the lifestyle they were afforded by only requiring 1 working person in a household? Or the lower tax and higher returns on investment?

Soldato

How in today's world is this allowed?

What's next discount for all white upper class males in Waitrose Friday mornings?

It's hilarious seeing the wealthy get discounts while the poor young slaves grind it out

Back
Top Bottom