Ageism should we tolerate it?

Soldato
Age is a protected characteristic though, which I think is what Haggisman is getting at.
Age is a protected characteristic, if it is used to deny someone's rights. Nobody argues with minimum age restrictions as being ageist, or travel pass age restrictions. This quibble over Icelands arbitrary age limit for a shopping offer denys nobody their right under law. It may give a person over 60 an additional right above the general population but even that can easily be avoided by carting your aged P to Iceland on your family shopping trip and 'we are just shopping for Granny'.

Caporegime
Age is a protected characteristic, if it is used to deny someone's rights. Nobody argues with minimum age restrictions as being ageist, or travel pass age restrictions. This quibble over Icelands arbitrary age limit for a shopping offer denys nobody their right under law. It may give a person over 60 an additional right above the general population but even that can easily be avoided by carting your aged P to Iceland on your family shopping trip and 'we are just shopping for Granny'.

That doesn’t address his point to be fair. Equally you could say “just bring your white friend”. Etc..

Man of Honour
Well you can, because you can sell a property.
Add to that private pension wealth the state pension and the average pensioner earns more than the average working person.
Get a grip, learn maths. We're not confused, you're just not very clever.
So if your parents had to sell their property to survive would you be happy with that? Having worked 50+ years, spent 10s of thousands on bringing you up and supporting you, you'd be happy for them to sell their property, and create financial insecurity until their last days?

I sort of "get" your point that the older generation have more wealth, but wealth != cash.

Soldato
Like I said, this in itself doesn't really bother me, but why is giving all over 60s a discount OK, but giving all straight white men wouldn't be? It's either a protected characteristic or it isn't.

For all practical purposes stating that "Iceland are increasing prices for all under 60s" would have the same effect, but I bet people wouldn't be happy about that!
It is a discretionary offer, it is not parliament making a law. Your second point is obtuse as why would they? It is a way to gain business from one of its demographics, not lose it.

Soldato
It is a discretionary offer, it is not parliament making a law. Your second point is obtuse as why would they? It is a way to gain business from one of its demographics, not lose it.

it's a discretionary offer which discriminates based on a protected characteristic.

Not sure why you're saying "why would they?" to my second point - this is exactly what they are doing.

I'll ask again, why do you think it's OK to give a discount to over 60s but not straight white men? I'm sure they'd get plenty of support from certain demographics if they were to do that.

Soldato
Maybe they stock up with all the good stuff on a Wednesday when they have cleared the shelves of all the nearly out of date goods to the oldies on a Tuesday for a measly 10% discount. I do not know, I am sure that it not a machievellian plot and that it is probably legal and unlikely to bunch many people's underwear in the process. Just good old capitalism.

If it was all day every day and across all shops, I could see the argument.

PS I do not shop at Iceland even though I am 69.

Soldato
it's a discretionary offer which discriminates based on a protected characteristic.
Hasn't dowie already covered that point with his post that quoted this

Soldato
Hasn't dowie already covered that point with his post that quoted this

I saw that, but I couldn't find where in the legislation that exemption was actually mentioned (to be fair I did just skim it, it's not the most engaging read :p). If that's actually the case then by all means crack on!

Soldato
I'd be fine with it if they made this only apply during normal 9-5 working hours.

So when people with jobs who have no other choice but to go shopping on the weekend don't find the isles clogged up with ******* coffin dodgers having a social.
Here speaks a man who’s tried to use a Post Office at lunchtime on Giro day.

Caporegime
Did you declare the source of the data quoted? A quick reread of the thread and I cannot see it.

I don't see any column that looks like average  income.

What is financial wealth in that table?

@LabR@t is correctr tax is paid on any income above the allowance.

Again...the figures are net. As I've stated already the source is the ONS.

Figures are broken down here however including additional stats.

Additionally have a look at articles like this, now 5 years old and things have only grown

Soldato
Wealthy old people are some of the tightest people in existence.
My granddad isn't wealthy but he has a decent pension and they paid off their house in the 80s so he's quite comfortable.
He's oddly tight about spending money on really strange things. Didn't want to buy a new car when he had a death trap of a rover metro held together with tape , doesn't want to spend money on more comfortable chairs, sofa etc but then would spend £500 on a stand mixer they barely use.

Soldato
I thought positive discrimination was a universally acknowledged boon.

On a more serious note not all pensioners worked for large companies with pension funds or in the public sector. Many live off the State Pension in near poverty and rapid inflation can hit them very hard.

Soldato
Boomerang kids could impact that, e.g. the main earner in the household might be late 20s but they are living in their parents house that's worth hundreds of thousands but was bought a long time ago so has huge equity even if the parents don't earn that much.
Then the average will be boosted by property developers and what have you with loads of equity.
However it still seems high, it's also by fair the most extreme ratio of PropertyWealth:FinancialWealth (i.e. they have more than 20x as much Property Wealth as Finance Wealth) and they have well over half their wealth in property (no other age bracket comes close). In some ways this makes sense because people of that age probably plough all their money into a house deposit rather than savings and investments, but as you say, if less than 20% actually own property, then it's a bit odd because all the people saving up for a house who haven't yet bought should have money in financial wealth.
Seems like @Dis86 's figures are mean average.

Median tells a more realistic story. (Though I have to say I still don't really believe his figures can be accurate)

Median in figure 4 in this link:

Net property wealth for 25-34 year olds is £12,000.

Caporegime
Seems like @Dis86 's figures are mean average.

Median tells a more realistic story. (Though I have to say I still don't really believe his figures can be accurate)

Median in figure 4 in this link:

Net property wealth for 25-34 year olds is £12,000.
They're not my figures. They're the ONS.

Soldato
A vast majority of OAP's in my home town are in housing association properties on state pensions and their are huge swathes of the town whcih are solely OAP occupied. They definitely arent sitting on this magical £900k assets in one of these posts. I know for a fact my 75yr old father isnt sat on 100's of thousands of asssets. Yes, older generations have benefitted from property value increases but to assume everyone owns a £500k property as soon as they reach 65 and have 200-300k in the bank or in private pensions is ******* stupid. Of everyone i know over 65, i dont think i know any that have a private pension.

There is a subset of elderly that are stupidly wealthy but there are plenty of oaps who stuggle from 1 week to another or live on the edge. Some of the responses from some people in this thread are a big disgusting tbh

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom