• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AGP card, 7800 GS or 7800 GS+

Soldato
OK im thinking of upgrading my Gcard from my 9800XT but of the 2 cards listed above the + is £100 more.

Im running a amd 64bit 3200 skt 754 (first release version) with 2gb of ram

Im thinking i will be heavly bottlenecked by my CPU, is this true?

If i assume its not worth buying the more expensive card.

This is all a "hold me over" till i do a complete upgrade for vista and DX10.

Will be used for allot of games BF2 being one of them, and maybe even trying Ghost Recon if its playable on my PC.

Soldato
I don't know if it's an option for you, but you can get quality stocket 754 motherboards by Asus and Gigabyte with PCI-E for a mere £50, and much cheaper if you buy second-hand instead of new. It's just unfortunately really that AGP cards are rapidly inflating in price, forcing many people to jump ship and go for PCI-E instead. :(

In all fairness though, I don't regret switching one bit. There's so much more choice and value for money on PCI-E that it's just hard to pass up.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
mmmmm, that opens the ATI route up for me att he current price of 1800xt its a very good see me over upgrade.

Any of them have ATA raid rather than SATA?

if not it brings in a couple of HDs as well and it goes off the list again.

Thxs for the advice got some reading to do now

Soldato
OP
OK they are all SATA RAID boards, which kinda removes the upgrade path as ill have to shell out for 2 new HDs.

So back to the original question, is it wirth buying a + over a normal with my set up?

Soldato
Well, 7800GS and 7800GS+ are both very good cards. The question is will you want to fork out the amount of cash they're worth. I have a similiar setup to you, and I get good FPS in games and the 3dmark benchmarking programs.

If you want, I'd get the 7800GS, that should last you till your next upgrade, that is if you plan to upgrade when Vista is out and what not.

Just about the money tbh.

Soldato
House said:
OK they are all SATA RAID boards, which kinda removes the upgrade path as ill have to shell out for 2 new HDs.

So back to the original question, is it wirth buying a + over a normal with my set up?

Why would you have to do that?

They have IDE sockets like any other board.

Soldato
Exsomnis said:
I don't know if it's an option for you, but you can get quality stocket 754 motherboards by Asus and Gigabyte with PCI-E for a mere £50, and much cheaper if you buy second-hand instead of new. It's just unfortunately really that AGP cards are rapidly inflating in price, forcing many people to jump ship and go for PCI-E instead. :(

In all fairness though, I don't regret switching one bit. There's so much more choice and value for money on PCI-E that it's just hard to pass up.

bah... no do not use the Asus. 2 bad experiences in a row so i i say avoid like the plague

Soldato
OP
Fitted 7800 GS today
Again delivered fast and as ordered,

After a bit swapping and changing of power leads i got it running sweet and doubled my old 3dmark score,

If im gonna do anything more serious im gonna need more wattage in my PC cause till i got the leads right it kept powering down. Im now running 4 Hds of one molex with 2 splitters. really not good but its working.

I can reccomend this card to anyone after a upgrade who doesnt want the expense and hastle of swapping out MoBo and HDs and PSUs

Basically this will get me though till vista and DX10 are stable enough to buy.

Associate
Sounds good. I got significant 3Dmark 05 and 06 increases from my old card as well. At 1280x1024 i've not noticed anything slow it down yet (although i've not tried FEAR :) )

I went for the GS+ for much the same reasons as you. Next year will be a big upgrade with Vista/DD2/AM2(or Conroe, which I really must find out more about)/Dell 2407/DX10 etc.

Won't be 'til Q2 or 3 07 (although i'll have vista before then anyway). I think the GS or GS+ should do the job nicely until then and will make a good second PC card after.

Back
Top Bottom