Ah! Thunderbird Help please! Re-downloading old messages?

Associate
Hey all,

Basically, I'm trying to copy all my old mail from my desktop to my laptop. First thought was to use Mozbackup. Bad idea. While it works seamlessly, it also removed all the newer mail already on my laptop. :eek:

What's more, it has kept the laptop's information on what emails it has downloaded (I only told Mozbackup to transfer the mail, no settings), so thinks that it has all the up to date emails as of pre-import and is refusing to get the 'intermediatry' aged ones. :( I probably haven't explained this perfectly but essentially I have all the old ones on the laptop and, I'm guessing will get any ones people send me from this point onwards, but not those between now and the desktop's mail age.

But, for the record, they are certainly on the server. It's like I need to wipe clean the Thunderbird record of what emails it has downloaded in a previous life, so that it thinks all of those on the server are new.

Before I go any further and make more catastrophic mistakes, what would you suggest I do to sort the pickle out?

Many thanks to anyone who can help :)

Peter

Last edited:
Associate
Set up a new account in Thunderbird, but give it the same settings as the account you want to re-download. Then just delete the old one when you know everything is on the new one.

Soldato
Just copy the Thunderbird folder from the C:\Users\*Username Here*\AppData\Roaming (Vista / 7)

C:\Documents and Settings\*Username Here*\Application Data

OR

C:\Documents and Settings\*Username Here*\Local Settings\Application Data

* Presumes C: is the drive where windows is installed...

I forget where it is on XP but its under one of the above

Copy the folder and rename / replace it on the other computer.

This keeps everything, emails, account settings, rss feeds... the lot...

Back
Top Bottom