AIO for 2700x in 500d Obsidian

Associate
Evening all,

So whilst I'm waiting for the results on my RMA on my 2700x and X370-f combo I have been thinking about temps and am considering swapping out the standard Wraith Prism cooler for an AIO unit from Corsair. The Aorus GTX 1080ti will remain with stock cooler as I am mainly wanting to try and give the 2700x a bit better cooling along with reducing the constant cpu fan ramping up and down to keep pace with the Ryzens normal temperature fluctuations at idle.

Whilst waiting for the parts to come back from ocuk I have purchased some more ML120 fans so for now the case will, at rebuild, have:-
Stock AMD Cooler Master Wraith Prism
2 x ML120 fans intake front
1 x Stock Corsiar case fan intake front
1 x ML120 fan exhaust top
1 x Stock corsair case fan exhaust top
1 x ML120 fan exhaust rear

This is built in a 500d Obsidian case which gives me several options for size and position and could do with some pointers.

Now I'm inclined to want to put the radiator at the top of the case as it makes sense to me that heat from the rad will rise and leave the case aided by fans exhausting. So if it were you would you go:-

1. 240mm h100i pro exhausting at top with three intake ML120 fans and one ML120 exhaust at rear.

2. 280mm h115i pro exhausting at top (looks like this would be a much tighter fit) with three intake ML120 fans and one ML120 exhaust at rear.

3. 360mm h150i pro intake at front with two ML120 fans exhausting at top and one ML120 exhaust at rear.

Logic says bigger is better and to maybe just go straight for option 3 but also not sure if you would have a better time with the 3 front intake fans not going through a rad and all the heat being sent out of the top / back?

Opinions?

Associate
OP
I normally go for the largest the case will take.
Thanks for the feedback, does the larger radiator have any effect on pump life? Ive seen plenty of setups with the radiator at the front and would imagine it would take a long time to saturate a radiator that size and put any meaningful heat into the case (i.e. effect air cooled gpu)?

It looks like the radiator fans are all controlled through the pump which means only a single plug into the cpu fan header on the h1xxi pro series, i guess you have the option to control each fan separately if required though. Have read some plug the pump into the aio pump header to run it constantly at 100% but this seems to go against the Corsair fitting instruction.

Associate
I have the 500d RGB and also the H150i cooler, mounted to the front on a 5ghz 1.3v 9900k and the 3 LL120mm fans. Idle is high 20s and under load mid 70s on the peaks.

The fans are pulling cool air in and through the rad then I also have 2 LL140s exhausts air at the top and a single LL120 at the rear.

EDIT.

For controlling pump speeds just download Corsair iCUE. I didn’t attach my fans to the supplied headers that come of the pump. Due to them being LED but also as I took advantage of the Commander PRO.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the reply!

Sounds like the bigger rad is the better one to look at, once I get my rig stable I will look at the h150i. Thinking it will help as the 2700x likes to run hot as it changes it's speed on each core all the time, may even give me the option to try some basic overclocking but again I want to get my rig stable on the stock settings before going down this route!

Not worried about the rgb fans version so will probably connect up with the supplied connectors.

Soldato
Thanks for the reply!

Sounds like the bigger rad is the better one to look at, once I get my rig stable I will look at the h150i. Thinking it will help as the 2700x likes to run hot as it changes it's speed on each core all the time, may even give me the option to try some basic overclocking but again I want to get my rig stable on the stock settings before going down this route!

Not worried about the rgb fans version so will probably connect up with the supplied connectors.

h150 should look sweet on all corsair build at the front, plus would come in handy if you upgrade to zen2+ in the future with 12 cores :D

Associate
OP
Have ordered myself a h150i pro this evening but before it arrives I just wondered if you guys could give me some advice on which way up to mount the radiator?

I have read some people advising that the inlet/outlet on the radiator should be put toward the bottom of the case to account for any fluid evaporation but it looks like that will be restricted on the lengths of the hoses? Is evaporation likely to be an issue or as always am I over thinking it as I see most builds with the inlet/outlets positioned to the top of the case?

Back
Top Bottom