"AIO Like" CPU/GPU Loop

Soldato
Whilst I've built a few water-cooling setups for others, mainly just installing kits (e.g. EK-KIT P280) that people have bought. I personally don't like the bulky look with pump/reservoir, thick tubing (even if hardlined for a neater look) especially when doing a CPU + GPU combo.

I have often preferred the less invasive/cluttered AIO look with smaller braided tubes not getting too much in the way. I have now installed a X62/G12 combo for my GPU (excellent cooling performance), but I would like a full water block on the GPU which would overall look neater.

So, I have an idea to do a more 'stealth' install that looks a bit more AIO from outside the case..

xiPKBOn.jpg

The idea would be to use the quite large space behind the PSU in the bottom compartment to horizontally mount a pump/reservoir combo, then bring the thinnest (possibly braided as well)tubing from the GPU/CPU blocks as neatly as possible into the PSU compartment, and do the cross over between blocks and pump/radiator connections..

Forgive the terrible diagram, I'm just trying to show approx layout (RAD will be front mounted, 360 or possibly 420 in a Phanteks Evolv X (Already have the case). There is a nice hole near the GPU for the tubing to go into the PSU compartment easily and I would route the CPU tubing across then down close to the radiator through the opening to the PSU/Bottom compartment.

Most obvious observations for me are
- Much longer tube lengths than normal, is this crazy?
- Is there any fittings for 10mm OD tubing, or is 13mm OD pretty much the thinnest?

I'm not after super overclocking performance, just 280mm AIO levels of noise/cooling really but from an easier to control setup that doesn't require iCUE/CAM or other bits of software that you end up being at the mercy of the manufacturer as to when they'll break something in the next update.

Soldato
Most obvious observations for me are
- Much longer tube lengths than normal, is this crazy?
- Is there any fittings for 10mm OD tubing, or is 13mm OD pretty much the thinnest?

That isn't really long tube lengths, it's not an issue. 13/10 is the thinnest you should be aiming for.

That Res in the horizontal position is going to be a PITA to bleed the system.

Soldato
OP
That isn't really long tube lengths, it's not an issue. 13/10 is the thinnest you should be aiming for.

That Res in the horizontal position is going to be a PITA to bleed the system.

Thanks for the help!

Just looking around, I will measure up to see if something like the EK-DBAY D5 would fit, that looks much easier to fill but might be too big.
Having side access to the compartment from right hand side of the case, I could prime/fill it upright, then just turn 90 degrees and slide in to the PSU compartment and fix in place, as I agree trying to bleed it as shown would be difficult.

Soldato
Yup, you're looking for 5/16 tubing (8mm/10mm) it was one of the four big popular ones back in the day (5/16, 3/8, 7/16, 1/2) but like others has sort of fallen out of favour as most of the big EU manufacturers gravitated to making 3/8 products. You can still find loads of fittings/tubing if you search for it though.

Back
Top Bottom