AIO TDP thermal ratings-Why no spec??

Soldato
As above really

Why are AIO (and indeed other cooling solutions too) not, as a matter of routine, specified with a recommended max TDP rating?

Occasionally one sees it. But in the main it is not a spec that is given...

:confused:

Caporegime
The max TDP they can cope with before going over a set temp will vary with so many things, ambient temp, case airflow, CPU die area/TIM, thermal paste that I don’t think it would be a useful number.

Last edited:
Soldato
+1

Pretty much above. I have a 360 AIO on my 2700x. In all normal situations it cools it fine to run 4.2Ghz under full Prime AVX load. In the weather we are in at the moment though, i absolutely have to drop that to 4.1Ghz. Thing is though, what idiot would bother running Prime AVX in this current heat :D

Man of Honour
The max TDP they can cope with before going over a set temp will vary with so many things, ambient temp, case airflow, CPU die area/TIM, thermal paste that I don’t think it would be a useful number.

Still it generally gives you a rough idea as to what you are working with. I'd rather have some kind of representative figure of some kind than not.

Soldato
Why would they put a slightly meaningless number on their coolers. Manufacturers all make up their TDP values differently.

Then there's the casual end users buying these...

Say a cooler can keep X cpu under throttling temp with fans at 2000rpm, a maximum room temperature of 25 degrees and no overclock.

The user then turns the fans down because its noisy, overclocks the cpu and the room is an oven. Manufacturer gets moaned at because the cpu throttles...

Who wants to explain these things to casual end users. Technical details are for business partners who understand them.

Far easier to tell customers to buy an oversize cooler you know is overkill for the simple reason that because it's overkill you'll have less hassle and more profit.

Soldato
OP
Still it generally gives you a rough idea as to what you are working with. I'd rather have some kind of representative figure of some kind than not.

Indeed, it is a bit like manufacturers stated fuel consumption on a car.

It may not be an accurate real world figure, but it does give you some guide and allows you to compare one car with another...

Soldato
Indeed, it is a bit like manufacturers stated fuel consumption on a car.

It may not be an accurate real world figure, but it does give you some guide and allows you to compare one car with another...
And just like in cars, if one manufacturer is honest and other not, it will distort comparison.

Back
Top Bottom