AIO vs Custom loop with 360 rad on Ryzen 3000 series

Associate
Ive been dabbling with the idea of a 360mm AIO vs a custom loop with a D5 and 360mm Radiator for my CPU, mainly for aesthetic purposes.

Is there likely to be much difference between the 2? I would do push pull fans on a controller so I could run them on min speed to reduce noise/temps.

If anyone has experience of doing both on a ryzen especially I would be very interested to hear your

I have no intentions on including GPU because temps are perfectly fine and adequate under load

Many Thanks

Associate
I'd concur with MrPotatoe.

I've used a R7 2700X with ThermalRight Archon IB-E X2 and then 360mm slim rad, temps was not wild difference. Noise in worst case testing was biggest difference. Plus of going WC vs AIO is you can later add to WC setup and cool GPU if so wish.

Associate
OP
Ok thanks guys. I've got a load of watercooling fittings from a previous build which I couldn't decide whether to sell or keep, but its not really compatible with my current rig so I'd need to buy a new rad and tubing only. I bought an Am4 waterblock from here on a whim in case I decided to go that route but it seems a lot of hassle compared with an AIO

EKWB also have a new AIO coming out soon which looks pretty good so I'm really torn but I'm leaning more toward AIO side as I only want CPU cooler and don't want to be messing about with the GPU as that already produces some really good temps when under pressure.

Associate
OP
Dunno which AIO your going for, if your spending upwards of £100 then I'd be inclined to say go WC than AIO.

Most of the 360s (AIO's) are over 100 to be honest but to be fair custom loops aren't any cheaper and are far more hassle. I think I've decided to just sell of whatever WC gear I've got and put that toward the cost of the aio

Associate
OP
Or get something like
A swiftech AIO
Quality components
And can be upgraded /expanded if required
In the future

Which swiftech kit do you mean exactly?. The ones I've seen aren't very aesthetically pleasing to me really.

The other problem I hadn't mentioned is that my HDD caddies get in the way of where my current reservoir/pump combo (the one I own anyway) which was one of the main factors putting me off but looking through the ocuk webshop I've actually found a possible solution that might look quite good if I can pull it off.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/phanteks-glacier-r220-rgb-reservoir-200ml-wc-026-pt.html

Might fit in front of the HDD bays (all of which I'm using) possibly

Last edited:
Soldato
Which swiftech kit do you mean exactly?. The ones I've seen aren't very aesthetically pleasing to me really.

The other problem I hadn't mentioned is that my HDD caddies get in the way of where my current reservoir/pump combo (the one I own anyway) which was one of the main factors putting me off but looking through the ocuk webshop I've actually found a possible solution that might look quite good if I can pull it off.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/phanteks-glacier-r220-rgb-reservoir-200ml-wc-026-pt.html

Might fit in front of the HDD bays (all of which I'm using) possibly
every one has different ideas of whats pleasing to the eye
obviously
latest swiftech one is Swiftech Drive X3 AIO
but the previous versions pop up on well known auction site sometimes
yet sell for less than say a corsair AIO
far better quality than the corsair
but swiftech is known to far fewer people than corsair obviously so prices tend to stay lower on there
i paid £50 including postage for the previous model unused
and it was the premium version
nice metal compression fittings
noise blocker eloops fans etc
none of that aluminium radiator stuff
just way better quality than the rebranded asetek stuff
and expandable to boot
if you ever want to

edit
thats the previous generation 360mm at top of case

7fR6nhV.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
Most of the 360s (AIO's) are over 100 to be honest but to be fair custom loops aren't any cheaper and are far more hassle. I think I've decided to just sell of whatever WC gear I've got and put that toward the cost of the aio

I'd say my loops have been pretty hassle free. My first WC loop consisted of:-

EK Supremacy Evo TR4 (from OCUK)
EK X-RES 140 Revo D5 PWM (from OCUK)
EK ZMT 3/8" 5/8" (from OCUK)
Barrow fittings
2x Magicool 360 G2 Slim (from OCUK)
MSI GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X

The loop used distilled water with ~20% mix of Mayhems XT-1 clear concentrate. It was put together ~Q3 17, Q4 I changed the GTX 1080 to RX Vega 64 with EK-FC Radeon Vega (copper/plexi); drained coolant looked clean & clear I reused it. ~Q1 18 I changed the CPU block for Bykski A-Ryzen-ThV2-X, drained coolant looked clean & clear I reused it. Loop was left as is for a while, then ~Q4 19 I tried 2x TR2920X. These CPU changes did require loop drain and block disconnection. Due to how TR socket mechanism is, size of it and CPU, the length of flexible tubing/room for movement did not allow CPU changes with ease unless disconnected block. The loop was then reused on an AM4 setup, here I can change CPUs without draining, feels like an AIO.

I'm still on initial coolant filled back in Q3 2017. Dunno if I've been lucky with it, dunno if it was because I cleaned blocks/rads/tubing/fittings well prior to loop being put together.

2nd loop system I didn't need up and running ASAP, some savy buying (some new/used parts) pretty much made it half the price it should have been. I used to be one for using large high end air coolers, much prefer the WC route now. Yeah buying in can be higher, AIO I don't even consider as I think WC is much more versatile.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks Guys, I've decided to go custom loop with a couple of rads. I'm only gonna use soft tubing for convenience though. Appreciate the advice

Associate
Not regretted soft tubing TBH.

My initial WC build was with a Zenith Extreme. When I got a Zenith Extreme Alpha the GPU dropped a slot. Only the tube which went from GPU block to CPU block I had to redo. When I moved the WC over to Crosshair VII Hero I didn't have to change any tubing. Later meddling around with addon cards, RAM, etc was easy as could move the flexible tubing with ease, if it got in the way.

Soldato
I genuinely find water-cooling a hassle free, very enjoyable part of my PC hobby.

The right parts, design and fluid make maintenance easy, and I enjoy complete silence, good overclocks and great temps.

I find AIOs limited, awkward and with no maintenance, once they're dead, they're dead.

Would never go back to AIO; if I wasn't water-cooling I'd be using a big air cooler.

Associate
Thanks Guys, I've decided to go custom loop with a couple of rads. I'm only gonna use soft tubing for convenience though. Appreciate the advice

cost will be significantly more than the best current AIO the arctic freezer II. You won't see any real difference. custom is fun to build though. Stay away from EK stuff though

Soldato
cost will be significantly more than the best current AIO the arctic freezer II. You won't see any real difference. custom is fun to build though. Stay away from EK stuff though

You absolutely will in my experience. My temps on AIO vs custom loop were hugely different, and my system is utterly silent.

Why do you day stay away from EKWB? My GPU block, CPU Block and pump too are EK, as well as most of my fittings. Never had a leak not an issue.

Second hand my loop cost very little. A pump, rad and block can be had for about £120. Water-cooling definitely has a much higher price of entry, but then comparing an AIO to a custom loop is a bit like comparing a console to a PC; far more flexible, upgradeable and capable.

Associate
OP

Not really as I've got a lot of fittings and bought some second hand stuff, I know the overall cost is higher, but the outlay for me is not too high as all I really need to source now is a suitable reservoir, tubing and some suitable fittings.

As wanton above said, why do you say steer clear of EK, I've had their fittings before used on hard-line and they were great no problems. I actually plan to use use the ones I can left over and just amend them for a soft line system with compression fittings.

Soldato
Not really as I've got a lot of fittings and bought some second hand stuff, I know the overall cost is higher, but the outlay for me is not too high as all I really need to source now is a suitable reservoir, tubing and some suitable fittings.

As wanton above said, why do you say steer clear of EK, I've had their fittings before used on hard-line and they were great no problems. I actually plan to use use the ones I can left over and just amend them for a soft line system with compression fittings.

If you're going soft tubing, I heartily recommend their ZMT. It's absolutely fantastic. Only thing I run now. I've never liked hard tubing anyway, not the aesthetic not how hard it makes maintenance and building.

Then again, I come from an era when we used pond pumps in our custom loops, and bought most of the bits from a DIY shop :D

Associate
OP
If you're going soft tubing, I heartily recommend their ZMT. It's absolutely fantastic. Only thing I run now. I've never liked hard tubing anyway, not the aesthetic not how hard it makes maintenance and building.

Then again, I come from an era when we used pond pumps in our custom loops, and bought most of the bits from a DIY shop :D

Thanks for the advice, it's very welcomed. I think I'm going to go for solid colour tubing rather than coloured coolant, easier and cheaper for flushing and refilling

Soldato
Thanks for the advice, it's very welcomed. I think I'm going to go for solid colour tubing rather than coloured coolant, easier and cheaper for flushing and refilling

No probs.T reason I run clear coolant and ZMT is because I've never had even the tiniest bit of growth or funking. I only replace fluid annually, and I only flush it with distilled water. I use Mayhem's XT1 Nuke and can recommend it.

It's by far the easiest, most maintenance way to do it imo.

Good luck with the build, looking forward tks Ewing the results!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom