Airbus A320 Crashes in Alps

Don
Please stop this pointless bickering, discussion about the crash, technology, psychological conditions etc.. is fine. Endlessly arguing about potential mortality rates is dull and frankly insulting to the original tragedy.

First & last warning.

Man of Honour
I think the worry is at one point not that long ago pilot suicide didn't enter anyones head. But with recent issues its now something to think about.

Only because its fresh on the news. It happened twice in 3 years in the late 90s remember. It's still exceptionally rare.

Soldato
Saw the news about the First Officer during the week, but haven't been on the forums since.

How tragic :(. By all means be depressed and stick your head in the gas oven or whatever, but don't go and murder 150 innocent people :(.

Whilst I've got happy memories of going in the cockpit during the 1990s, I can see why they've got the locked door these days. But I think they do need to adopt a policy of two people in the cockpit at all times, by getting a Flight attendant to go and sit there.

Also, given that the Captain and the crew (and apparently the passengers :() knew what was happening, I'm surprised they didn't manage to get a message to the ground. Perhaps the Chief Purser needs to have their intercom connected up to a radio or satphone or something?

I'm not sure I'm keen on the idea of the plane completely flying itself. I mean, all the autopilot and autoland stuff is very clever and all that, and as a software engineer I should be all for it. But I'm not sure I'd trust it to override the cockpit controls and not go wrong. Perhaps a way for the ground to remote control the plane or something would be better, but again there's going to be problems if the signal gets spoofed!

Soldato
It is a very scary thing to think what could happen these days. Even more scary for someone like me who is scared of flying in a plane!

Obviously something has to be done to stop this from happening again.

I know they say that a member of crew has to sit in the cockpit when either of the pilots has to pop out but what if the crew member that 'pops in' is in collusion with the resident pilot sitting at the controls and they decide to lock everyone out and make the plane dive like a sub!!!

Caporegime
How do you stop a truck driver ramming into a playground full of kids? How do you stop a bus driver running off a cliff with a bus full of nuns? How do you stop a doctor infecting hundreds of patients with an infectious disease? How do you...

Stop panicking.

Soldato
i think, any form of transport where the speed exceeds limb and head separation to atmosphere, and where profit is involved, should be not used, just a bad idea.

enjoy your annual holiday to Cornwall:o

I am terrified of flying, but I still wouldn't let it stop me seeing the world. I'll take my chances thanks.

Soldato
Just watched something which was quite scary on the MH370

More to do with Boeing's but I didn't know this and wonder thow much this appliesmto other aircraft . But on the boeing 777 they showed you an engineering compartment under a hatch (which some airlines don't make them lockable) and are outside the cockpit that you can get in to if you dont purchase a lockable upgrade.inside all the electrical components , computers , controllers, you have ability to control certain parts of the plane. Remove control from the cockpit, cockpit door if you knew what you were doing you could open it

Last edited:
Soldato
Just watched something which was quite scary on the MH370

There is some factually correct info there (yes you can physically access the boxes) but there is no way to "control" the aircraft or any parts of it directly from them. The best you can do is simply disconnect the boxes and that wouldn't allow you to over-ride any Door commands.

On 50's-80's aircraft it was very do-able (especially on the older ones) but the way avionics boxes talk to each other has changed drastically in the past 20 years, a bit like CANBUS on modern cars vs older cars which means you now need a computer to talk to a car. In modern aircraft the boxes are talking on databuses, even for the simplest of things i.e -

Older A/C - When you move a switch a voltage sitting on one part of the switch is directed through the switch to a component via a direct cable/wire and the voltage finds it's earth at the component making something happen (i.e a door locks). If you knew where the cable was in the Avionics bay you could bypass the switch and directly wire it to over-ride the switch.

Databus A/C - When you move a switch the main computer see's the switch being moved through it's databus as a 8, 16, 32 or 64bit "word" which tells the computer what settings the switch is now at. If the computer thinks that the switch position is a safe one (i.e it won't lower the undercarriage ifd the speed is too high etc) then it sends another "word" to one of a dozen or more power supplys dotted around the aircraft, each containing hundreds of wafer CB's. It tells a particular power supply which CB to close, allowing power to activate the door lock and another "word" is sent back confirming that the component has done something (i.e door locked).

There is no way in this system to hack into the databus and send a fake message from the Avionics bay because as soon as you add a laptop etc into the system it will be ignored unless the aircraft in on the ground (weight on wheels) and in a maintenance software mode. You could smash the panels around the door in to try and find the wires to the door lock and then find a voltage source to over-ride the lock but thats not what was being described above.

TL;DR - Can't be done as described but can be done other ways.

Back
Top Bottom