Airbus A320 Crashes in Alps

Man of Honour
put my life in the hands of two humans? nope! could'nt pay me a billion pounds to fly on a civilian plane. there's no safety if a wing falls off. yeah it's unlikely to happen but if it does, everyone dies. and pretty much once a year it happens, somewhere.

I assume you don't step outside then? Even then you are putting yourself at risk, probably more so even.

Soldato
put my life in the hands of two humans? nope! could'nt pay me a billion pounds to fly on a civilian plane. there's no safety if a wing falls off. yeah it's unlikely to happen but if it does, everyone dies. and pretty much once a year it happens, somewhere.

Do you get the bus?
Do you get a taxi?
Ever had surgery done?
Ever walked outside?

Soldato
nope, bus is'nt doing 600mph and 30,000 feet in the air.
rarely, ^
yep, very scary.
a lot.

yeah i could get run over but my chances of surviving an impact are greater. actually not could, i have been in many crashes outside and i'm fine. other than a possibly unhealthy fear of going faster than 100mph in anything.

Caporegime
nope, bus is'nt doing 600mph and 30,000 feet in the air.
rarely, ^
yep, very scary.
a lot.

yeah i could get run over but my chances of surviving an impact are greater. actually not could, i have been in many crashes outside and i'm fine. other than a possibly unhealthy fear of going faster than 100mph in anything.

and pilots don't always understand how the aircraft work.
skip to 13:30
Edit found the crash animation with black box audio must have been one hell of a roller coaster ride
** Video removed due to swearing **
go fly the plane son what can go wrong? oh wait holding the stick for 20-30seconds on that jet disables the autopilot and now the kid can't get out of the seat because of the G forces.

enjoy the ride!

There's another one where the pilot disables the wrong engine by mistake when an engine fails as well because the cockpit dials are different than he is used to
then there's another episode where a plane crashes due to an anti stall feature the pilots didn't know about , the engines are overheating the pilot pulls the sticks back so the engines are at low power, the planes anti stall feature sets the thrust to full power and the pilots don't understand why it's happening.

the engines explode

Last edited:
Soldato

That is just ridiculous, grow up!

Caporegime
arent the wings actually the strongest part of the aircraft because they are the fuel tanks?
I've always heard it's best to sit over the wings because it's the strongest part of the plane

Soldato
That is just ridiculous, grow up!

Apart from his basic way of putting this I kind of agree with him. I hate flying, especially on flight's I know well, I've come to memorize times at which the plane will change course and speeds, if this changes from one time to the next I panic. My mind goes into to overdrive with what could be wrong.

Granted I've flown probably around 60 times and only had 2 "bad" flights in my 33 years, the worse one being where the landing was so hard the air vents/lights above came away and hit and the people in front and behind on the head as well as myself.
I nearly got off a flight once when 2 engineers came aboard and made the flight 40 mins delayed in their attempt to fix something in the cockpit, my mind boggled to think what could have been wrong.

It's worse flying with my father in law whom is and has been for the last 25 years an aviation engineer currently working on AWACS. When waiting on the step's to board the plane, he points out useful things such as "scab patches", which are used to join the 3 main parts of the plane together as the compression of the cabin over time has weakened the structure and new joins are needed to hold the plane together, showing how old most of these planes are.

You cannot compare flying to catching a bus/driving, that in itself is ridiculous, there's many different factors that can't be used for comparison, mainly being the lack of control you have when flying and the speeds and heights used. It's not the same as using public transport or controlling your own car at 10th of the speed on the ground.

When I see a plane crash does it make me want to stop flying, no, I have a problem in that department already.

Last edited:
Soldato
Apart from his basic way of putting this I kind of agree with him. I hate flying, especially on flight's I know well, I've come to memorize times at which the plane will change course and speeds, if this changes from one time to the next I panic. My mind goes into to overdrive with what could be wrong.

Granted I've flown probably around 60 times and only had 2 "bad" flights in my 33 years, the worse one being where the landing was so hard the air vents/lights above came away and hit and the people in front and behind on the head as well as myself.
I nearly got off a flight once when 2 engineers came aboard and made the flight 40 mins delayed in their attempt to fix something in the cockpit, my mind boggled to think what could have been wrong.

It's worse flying with my father in law whom is and has been for the last 25 years an aviation engineer currently working on AWACS. When waiting on the step's to board the plane, he points out useful things such as "scab patches", which are used to join the 3 main parts of the plane together as the compression of the cabin over time has weakened the structure and new joins are needed to hold the plane together, showing how old most of these planes are.

You cannot compare flying to catching a bus/driving, that in itself is ridiculous, there's many different factors that can't be used for comparison, mainly being the lack of control you have when flying and the speeds and heights used. It's not the same as using public transport or controlling your own car at 10th of the speed on the ground.

When I see a plane crash does it make me want to stop flying, no, I have a problem in that department already.

I see and understand your point, but putting your life into the pilots hands when flying is exactly the same as using public transport or other means of transport, unless you are the one operating, you have no control over what speed is used and therefore have no control over the outcome.

If you are riding on a train and it speeds up to 100mph and a crash is inevitable, what are you going to do? Nothing because it's out of your control, exactly the same way a plane can crash.

This shouldn't make you fear using this method of transport, it's ridiculous and silly.

Everyday millions and millions of people put their life into the hands of someone else, i just don't see what's to be scared of.

Soldato
Although on a train you are unlikely to be aware of your impending doom. Seems like there was a period of 8 minutes on the plane where it was brutally obviously something was very wrong and the likelihood was that things weren't going to work out well.

Soldato
After seeing all the photos over the internet I can't work out why there's no visible point of impact. I don't expect there to be much left of the plane or many parts left in tact but it looks similar to an explosion that's happened in mid-air say 1000 feet and the debris has scattered and floated down to the ground. Surely there would be a point where the plane hit the mountain?

Soldato
You don't know for sure it was eight minutes, do you? How much of that eight minutes was the pilot trying to get in with seemingly polite knocking and entering the override code, and how much was the hacking at the door with an axe period? And even when they knew something was wrong in the cockpit and the pilot was locked out, they might not have thought they were going to die until quite near the end, given planes have been highjacked and flown somewhere by pilots seeking asylum, and so forth, no?

The plane descended at the normal speed to how it normally would when coming into land so unless you knew the flight all would be normal, however when every-one's front facing looking at the cockpit door I would imagine it was soon clear the Pilot couldn't get back in.

Man of Honour
and pilots don't always understand how the aircraft work.
skip to 13:30
Edit found the crash animation with black box audio must have been one hell of a roller coaster ride
** Video removed due to swearing **
go fly the plane son what can go wrong? oh wait holding the stick for 20-30seconds on that jet disables the autopilot and now the kid can't get out of the seat because of the G forces.

enjoy the ride!

There's another one where the pilot disables the wrong engine by mistake when an engine fails as well because the cockpit dials are different than he is used to
then there's another episode where a plane crashes due to an anti stall feature the pilots didn't know about , the engines are overheating the pilot pulls the sticks back so the engines are at low power, the planes anti stall feature sets the thrust to full power and the pilots don't understand why it's happening.

the engines explode

First I've read of that crash. Unbelievable loss of life all because the retarded pilot put his kids in reach of controls.

Caporegime
The plane descended at the normal speed to how it normally would when coming into land so unless you knew the flight all would be normal, however when every-one's front facing looking at the cockpit door I would imagine it was soon clear the Pilot couldn't get back in.
there supposedly footage from a passenger at the rear of the plane that some french press agency got hold off.

I think they knew they were going to die

Soldato
You don't know for sure it was eight minutes, do you?
The Japan airlines flight quoted earlier flew for 32 minutes without it's vertical stabiliser, passengers wrote to their loved ones during this time since they knew they were going to die (or evidently strongly suspected it).
I fly pretty much weekly with the odd exception, but I totally get why people hate flying so much, especially after events like the one in France. I always have slight butterflies - very slight. Never feel anything of the sort while boarding a train or boat.

Back
Top Bottom