Airfix

Soldato
I have a craving, a huge one at that... Suggest a Airfix model for a beginner, last time I did one, I was 12 in my Dad's kitchen with him.

Been meaning to get a little hobby for those boring sunday rainy eve's when I can't get out on the bike.

So, I accidentally saved a bit more money than I intended to this month so want to splash out 30/40 odd quid on a Airfix model and get stuck in.

I can only assume the older generation of this forum will help as most youngster's on here probably have no clue what I'm going on about lol.

ags

Associate
I quite fancy doing one as well (used to make them regularly in my youth). Only thing was, I was terrible at painting them. I gather the trick is to paint the pieces on the plastic frames before you even build the model?

Hmmm

Soldato
don't buy airfix, they're pretty shoddy in terms of scale, accuracy and mold lines. go for something like tamiya, they're fairly similarly priced but they're leaps and bound ahead of airfix in the areas mentioned (plus more)

Soldato
OP
I quite fancy doing one as well (used to make them regularly in my youth). Only thing was, I was terrible at painting them. I gather the trick is to paint the pieces on the plastic frames before you even build the model?

Hmmm

Ah see, I was great at painting, it was the glueing that got me, I got huge hands and always did, even as a kid so always managed to stick my finger tips right in the glue and bugger it up :(

Here you go guys, get shopping! I have just turned into a big kid looking at this site lol.

http://www.airfix.com/

ags

p.s. http://www.airfix.com/airfix-products/ships/classic-ships/ would love to be able to do one of those old ship models! Would look fantastic :D

Soldato
if i had the money or the inclination at the moment i'd buy this:

http://www.modelzone.co.uk/tamiya_german_battleship_bismarck-details.htm

my first ever scale model was the bismark, i spent my entire birthday putting it together (i think i was 11 or 12?).

i spend more time with these
http://www.flamesofwar.com/online_store.aspx
these days, they're easier to put together and i can relax and play a few games with some friends over a drink and discuss the war (for a 3rd party perspective of course :p)

Soldato
OP
Soldato
Jesus, now I don't mind splashing out for that, but my skill would go as far as sticking the 2 hull pieces together and thats it! lol.

I would not trust my self to do that.

There is a model shop in Henley (see here) that is open till 6 tonight, might pop along and see what he recommends...

ags

if you want something just to get you started something in the tamiya 1:35 or 1:48 scale ranges will be fairly simple to put together, but will look more rewarding once complete as well :)

give me a minute and i'll put a photo up of the 1:48 (i think) sherman firefly and universal carrier, they're unpainted, but it should give you an idea of scale and detail.

fwiw you'll need to consider tools as well, you'll need a pair of clippers, an x-acto knife (or similar), a pair of tweezers and plastic and superglue just to put it together, a small file will be useful too. then for painting you'll need a primer, a black or grey matt primer from halfords will do the trick (easily as good as the expensive branded ones they sell in model shops), brushes, and paint of your choice, i prefer acrylic, it's easier to work with, if you want oils you'll need a thinner and some white spirit on the side to clean your brushes in.

Last edited:
Soldato
I used to love doing Airfix models when I was younger.. Had hundreds of planes suspended from my bedroom ceiling! Used to make a few mistakes with the glue but still enjoyed it! Could be quite fun to make a car or something for my desk now though.. :)

Man of Honour
I still want the 1/24th scale Mosquito.
Wouldn't mind a 1/32nd TSR2 also.

I would kill for a 1/24th Vulcan though.

Last edited:
Soldato
here we go, sherman firefly VC 1:48

DSC_0519.jpg

DSC_0520.jpg

DSC_0521.jpg

DSC_0522.jpg

and a universal carrier, also 1:48

DSC_0516.jpg

DSC_0517.jpg

DSC_0518.jpg

Back