AirPods (and AirPods Pro [and AirPods Pro 2nd generation]) now available

Associate
Feek;30490664 said:
The other sets I have are dirt cheap so audio quality has never been a priority. I've got a set of SoundWhiz W18, Aukey EP-B4 and some generic headphones from 7dayshop that were about fifteen quid.

The Airpods are far superior to all of them.

Thanks so much Feek.

The more I look into them, the more I like them.

This coming from someone who hated them at first. Now I'm starting to "get" them.

Commissario
Yeah, I was the same. I laughed at the presentation and was fully prepared to be taking them straight back into the shop after using them for a bit. I still have time to do that but am currently on the 'keep' side of the fence.

Soldato
hornetstinger;30490836 said:
I thought of a great idea with the airpods, what if each airpod had a neodium magnet, so when you put them in your ear holes the magnectic field pushes them together and thus won't fall out?

https://www.supermagnete.de/eng/blo...5mm-neodymium-n45-epoxy-coating_Q-111-89-20-E

lol! Over time they would embed themselves into your head, we'd definitely need long distance wireless charging to get them juiced up again every day :p

ff5298d3ace7fb4b342fbe0e27ef80ae.jpg

So I was really skeptical about these at first, and they're definitely not perfect. But my goodness are they a breath of fresh air back into the seamless sleek Apple experience.

I picked up a pair in London today after seeing stock available.

It's a shame that it's taken a really bitter and frustrating experience to get me to try them. I was trying to revise for an exam a few weeks ago and I couldn't plug the only headphones I had on me, into my macbook. These were the brand new lightning headphones that came with my iPhone 7. I was trying to watch a lecture capture in a quiet environment and I couldn't, I had no other headphones. I was so unbelievable ****ed off. It's ridiculous, those lightning headphones are useless on any device apart from the iPhone 7. An absolute joke and major casualty from the headphone jack removal.

Being an avid iPhone and laptop user in my primary daily activities, I begrudgingly came around to the idea that Airpods might work. The main thing holding me back until now was the lack of being able to adjust the volume without Siri. I think I'll be able to get around that using the Watch as others have reported. Unfortunately you can only do it from the control center and not direct from the face, which I hope will be addressed in a future update as the crown currently does nothing in that state. Perhaps they can put a new twistable crown on the base of the AirPods

I got a £15 pair of bluetooth headphones 6 months ago and they were okay, but I barely use them because the wire was still a pain and knocked the ear positioning. Without the wire (and because the AirPods fit my ears great), the AirPods are staying put wonderfully. It's amazing how many things get in the way normally, putting on a jacket, putting on a backpack, rubbing the wire against the seat behind you. Getting rid of it truly makes your head free and the sound feel like it's getting beamed directly to your ears.

Still on first impressions, but the design of the case is spot on. So satisfying, the magnet strength, led indicators, the fact that they printed the certification markings on the inside of the roof of the case where most people will never see it, just so the outside of the case would have a clean look. Incredible attention to detail.

I'm still ****ed they provides such a ****** wired headphone solution to the iPhone 7, as I don't think the segment of their users who can just about justify the cost of an iPhone as their smartphone because it's vital to day to day living these days, should have fork out yet another £160 to get a decent headphone solution because they scrapped the headphone jack providing a really ****** completely locked in solution forcing their users to either carry two pairs of headphones or go wireless.

I've not gotten used to not having the control unit on the wired headphones yet...but very excited to keep testing over the next couple of weeks and I imagine I'll be keeping them. Wireless is definitely the future.

Soldato
Seamless switching between the Mac and iPhone is ace.

If only I could figure out a way to switch to my Sonos TV output so I could watch TV loud wirelessly in my AirPods at night so I don't disturb my housemates.

Permabanned
Had my AirPods a couple of weeks and absolutely love them. I use them in the gym and they have not popped out once in the 7 sessions I have used them in so far. Sound quality is great and using them to talk on the phone for hours is also fantastic. Cant fault them really.

Soldato
Spit;30498466 said:
Had my AirPods a couple of weeks and absolutely love them. I use them in the gym and they have not popped out once in the 7 sessions I have used them in so far. Sound quality is great and using them to talk on the phone for hours is also fantastic. Can't fault them really.

Have you had any issues with the lack of inline volume control?

This is the one thing I'm unconvinced about.

Permabanned
Irish_Tom;30498681 said:

No, I either use my Watch or I am in front of my Mac. Not been an issue for me personally.

Soldato
Spit;30499230 said:
No, I either use my Watch or I am in front of my Mac. Not been an issue for me personally.

Ah, seems the watch is the perfect solution if you've got one, but I don't really need one and I'm certainly not going to buy a ~£300 volume controller. :D

Soldato
Irish_Tom;30498681 said:

I'm still getting used to not having the wire control, but for now I find it's easy enough to reach into my pocket and adjust the volume from the phone, which works fine even with the screen off.

I've just realised I can connect them to my Fire TV and use them as wireless headphones for watching TV, which got me really excited! But then I found out the volume is super loud and I can't figure out how to adjust it :confused:

Any ideas from anyone?

Soldato
I'm still getting used to not having the wire control, but for now I find it's easy enough to reach into my pocket and adjust the volume from the phone, which works fine even with the screen off.

Cool thanks, good to know.

Any ideas from anyone?

There's a thread about this over on Amazon forums but so far there's no solution. You can do it in Kodi apparently but not native Fire TV.

The BeatsX have the majority of the pros of the Airpods and include an inline control, not completely wireless but for some could be better.

Yeah, I watched the YT video earlier in the thread. The one thing that turns me off these is that they seal — I know it's counterintuitive but when I wear my EarPods (running / walking around town etc) I like having a bit of background noise and awareness.

I have both Custom IEMs and ANC headphones if I want to shut the world out.

Commissario
I hadn't realised just how often I'd needed to readjust the other two sets. The wire always catches on the back of my jacket/coat and as I move my head to look around, the in ear types which are secured by either a hook over my ears or a sort of plastic thing which sits in the ear move around as the wire catches.

Of course, no wire, no catching, no movement. I didn't need to touch them at all.
I don't know what's happened to my ears between then and now, I went for a walk today and couldn't keep them in place. There was no danger of them coming out but they kept moving and not staying nicely in place. I had to keep adjusting them so the sound didn't go all weak and tinny.

Very odd.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I don't know what's happened to my ears between then and now, I went for a walk today and couldn't keep them in place. There was no danger of them coming out but they kept moving and not staying nicely in place. I had to keep adjusting them so the sound didn't go all weak and tinny.

Very odd.

I find this with regular EarPods. Unless they are in the perfect position I lose some sound making them quiet.

Associate
anybody used both the pods and the beatsX ? i was thinking of getting the beats x as i wouldn't want to lose the pods lol only thing putting me off the Beats is the no sweat protection as my current beats inline has to be covered with tape as when sweat gets in it changes track and brings up the voice control . this might be different being bluetooth and not shorting out the iphone like the wire does on my current set .

Soldato
There's a couple of videos on the net comparing them. The impression I got from them was the beats sounded better. There was also the benefit of sound isolation.

If you want guaranteed sweat projection Jaybird X3 might be the answer.

Back
Top Bottom