1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Airport Express.

Discussion in 'Networks & Internet Connectivity' started by BoomAM, 16 May 2006.

1. BoomAM

Capodecina

Hi.
    A friend of mine is looking at a way of extending his wireless network range.
    I suggested an Airport Express because its small, easyily moveable, and provides several other functions that would be handy for him.

What i want to know is, does he need an Apple access point for it to function as a repeater?
    Offically, Apple says it does, but i cant see any reason why it would need one, wireless is wireless at the end of the day.
    The only thing i can think of is that the automatic configuration software wont work with non-Apple access points.

Ideas?

2. NutritioN

Wise Guy

Bump :) How did you get on with this?

3. EVH

Don

It'll join any network, but it won't extend a network unless you have an AirPort Extreme base station.

I think the reason behind this is that Apple have their own configuration utility which is locked down, and you wouldn't be able to configure it to extend a network without using it.

4. quackers

Soldato

It'll definately work as an access point in a windows network, we had one running for a little while and it was fine it just need to be configured on a mac.