Airport Meet & Greet - damaged my car

Caporegime
I drive a rubbish car so have no problem using the meet and greet service they probably treat the car better than I do and the sat nav is still in the glovy to get me home.

Same, they even occasionally clean it for me.

But then I wouldn't notice if they put a massive dent in mine so.......

Soldato
Soldato
Used to be really bad even with main dealers. Years ago at a BMW main dealer the staff used to use customer cars as the vehicles to go home in on a night. All came to light when one salesman totally wrote off somebody's 3 series one night at 11 o'clock coming home from the pub.

Even worse the guy whose car it was a happened to pass the crash scene and saw his pride and joy totalled as well.

Poor bloke :(

Associate
Anyone used 'Purple Parking'? Any horror stories about them? I only ask as I've used them quite a bit and not had issue. You park yourself and then they seal your key in a bag. Granted, they could probably open the bag and use the car, reseal it.

Once you're parked up, you hop in a minibus to be taken to the airport. Seems a good system to me.

Use it often as we get a discount through work due to volume of travel.

Not had an issue yet and neither have any of my colleagues.

Associate
Used to be really bad even with main dealers. Years ago at a BMW main dealer the staff used to use customer cars as the vehicles to go home in on a night. All came to light when one salesman totally wrote off somebody's 3 series one night at 11 o'clock coming home from the pub.

Even worse the guy whose car it was a happened to pass the crash scene and saw his pride and joy totalled as well.

And this sort of worry is exactly why I record mileage when dropping car off. I dropped off my Mustang with Ford today for some panel alignment and they need it for 2 days. If it has more than 1 mile more on it when I pick it up tomorrow I won't be impressed. They have no need to drive it at all other than from car park into body shop.

Soldato
Doesn't justify what they do though does it?

No but it saves me time and hassle at both ends so I'm willing to accept the trade off! Not sure how you sort the industry out price wise it is a fierce market so it's not like they are suddenly going to start employing nice trust worthy types! Maybe the rise of the dash cam will force them to up the ante!

Man of Honour

There was a similar incident with a nissan dealer monkey picking up a 370z for a service and it ending up on its roof. First the owner heard was a friend ringing asking if he was okay because his car was upside outside the friends office

Soldato
OP
Video time

[Edit: removed]

Watching it back I should probably add a few notes:

- The sole time they should have used the car is 15 minutes to drive to their car park, say 15 minutes to move it round as they arrange their parking, and then 15 minutes to come and drop it off at the airport. I had around two and a half hours of video. I cut out loads. E.g. they moved the car on the Saturday around 4 times and was sat in it for at least 10 minutes each time. They messed with the heating system, the radio, you hear things opening and closing constantly.

- The main issue I have is the use when they don't need to use it. Looking back, the reversing into another car isn't the most obvious and could be heavy breaking but there are definitely scratches on that side of the car that I'm fairly certain weren't there when I dropped it off as I hand wash my car every few weeks.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Like this ^

The bloke was really weird. You don't want to know half the conversations he was having with his "babe" in the car. He must have sat in it and moved it around (e.g. forward a bit then back a bit rather than something useful) about six times on Saturday and Sunday.

Associate
Just did a quick google for reviews, omg

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/drivefly.co.uk

Better check your terms and conditions:

Terms and Conditions 5.14 - "We will not be held responsible for any claims of any nature below £750 including any alleged dents, bumps and scratches."

oh my, worth reading some of these reviews!

"The vehicle did arrive and the driver handed me the key and asked me to sign for it, again without a vehicle inspection.
My wife and son jumped in as i was signing for the vehicle and noticed right away that my Stereo/Satnav touch screen stereo had been stolen, yes thats correct, stolen. There was a big hole in my dashboard where the stereo once was and the cables were hanging from the dashboard!
The facia of the stereo was removed and was on the back seat and the torque screws that once held the stereo in place were on the gear stick gator, there was big dirty boot marks on my door jams and both driver and passenger matts. My GloveBox lid was also scratched. I opened the glove box and they had also stolen my iPhone MDI Cable and my VW Handbooks in the VW leather case complete with service history book and receipts.
There was also an extra 60+ miles put on the car too, i wish i had taken a picture of the mileage as i usually do. It may have been more.
As you can imagine i went ape!, the car was only 12 months old and was always in mint clean condition. The driver wouldn't answer any of my questions, he wouldn't tell me where my car had been parked or where my stereo was.
There was no sign of forced entry to the car so this must have been an inside job. The driver called his boss who informed him to tell me to email them with the details....Really!!!!, an email just wasn't going to cut in, this is theft, pure and simple.
As DriveFly would do nothing about it i had no option but to call the police. The Heathrow police were fantastic, fair play, the driver stayed with me until the police arrived, they questioned the driver and all spoke to the manager on duty at the time. I'm guessing the manager told the police the same thing as they had told me, drop them an email. I don't think that DriveFly realised how serious this was until the police said that this was in fact a DriveFly employee as they were the only ones with the keys to the car and there was no signs of forced entry.
After just over 2 hours i left T3 minus a stereo/satnav system but with a crime number."

Last edited:
Associate
Pretty sure Watchdog did a piece on this a while ago, they had set up cars with trackers and followed where they went, only seemed to take Nice cars from memory.

Yeh this was on Watchdog, I seem to remember them turning up early to pickup their car and stitching them up some how. I think they said that a friend had seen their car parked up and being driven around Crawley.

Have you checked to see if the company has a letterbox?

Associate
Just did a quick google for reviews, omg

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/drivefly.co.uk

Better check your terms and conditions:

Terms and Conditions 5.14 - "We will not be held responsible for any claims of any nature below £750 including any alleged dents, bumps and scratches."

oh my, worth reading some of these reviews!

You are right, OMG indeed reading through the comments. I'm not suprised by them mind and it's been known for a while just nothing seems to be been done about it....

Soldato
Very odd behavior, if it was my job to look after other peoples cars I would disturb them as little as possible, maybe turn off the radio and having to adjust the seat/mirrors a little, but that's about it. Can't believe they just left it running for ages too, no need.

Soldato
OP
Haha, I posted a question about this on reddit legal advice and now a Daily Mail reporter has reached out. I'm going to need to mark the video as private until the company respond to me - sorry guys!

Soldato
Any recommendations for Heathrow?

Been doing some digging. They don't list their company details anywhere on their website. The owners did post some personal adverts on facebook though and a WHOIS search gave the second Director. They never seem to file accounts and just open a new company when they get struck off by Companies House.

I've contacted Trading Standards but will hold back on going all out until I hear back from them. They seem to have operations across the UK so I'm not sure how they can operate on such a scale without any kind of official limited company to manage it all.

Use the Companies House Beta website and you can get director info if you know the company name and can see what other companies the directors are directors/secretary of. A small company wouldn't usually be required to file accounts, so that would not necessarily be the reason for them being struck off. If they are operating as individuals rather than limited entities then they'll have unlimited liability to their personal assets :eek: and that extract above from the T&Cs doesn't look like it would stand up to any kind of reasonableness test!

Back
Top Bottom