AITA Advice please (brother in law neighbor)

Associate
Hi Everyone

Would like some advice. It is kinda AITA thread

So some background. Me and the in-laws used to process firewood for the family down at their yard. This went well for over 10 years but we have fallen out and we now no longer speak. (Long story)

So I now need to process logs myself and was planning to get 10ton of unprocessed lengths delivered to my house and cut and split them myself. We leave in a rural area and have a big garden that I could do this on.

The house opposite is one of my brother in laws house and he heard about my plan. We are friendly and get on well.

He spoke to me last night and asked me not to as he said it would bring the look of the area down having the trunks on the lawn as I process them and he also said it is nice and quiet and that me with a chainsaw would disrupt there lives.

Now I can look 2 ways at this.

1. I am not doing anything illegal and I can make noise upto 11.00 at night (Even though i would probably only be working at the weekends 10-4 something like that) Yes it will look ugly but I know that and they will be processed as quick as I can

2. Agree with him and not do it but then not have any firewood for next year

Any advice or views would be welcome. Am not sure what I should do.

Associate
OP
I think you need to consider the ramifications of completely ignoring the request of your currently friendly brother in law.
I know that's what ive been thinking about. Only ramifications i can see is them falling out with me over it. (And if I am doing something that is legal and only doing it during the day and not early in the morning) I think it would be very petty to fall out with me over it. But i guess that is their choice.

Soldato
why does your BIL think it's anything to do with him what your plans are for processing wood? was he part of the in-laws that previously had wood processed for them down at some family yard?

irrespective, i'd be politely telling him to do one, but that's just me....maybe politely explain that since the change in family arrangements you've no option but to process the wood you need on your own land and it'll only be for a few days. if he still insists on getting his knickers in a twist then i guess you need to decide is it worth falling out with him over.

Soldato
If your BIL can make use of the wood you should have offered him some to appease him. 10T isn't really a lot of logs but if your going to be doing it as a business with constant loggers delivering I can see your BIL's point though. Maybe he thinks you're setting up a business?

Associate
OP
Hi

Spoke to him last night. Explained that it wasn't being done as a business and was only for personal use. That I would only be working on them at the weekends and I would not start early so would probably be from 10-4. And that as soon as I had cut the wood it will be stored out of sight.

Also made the point that im doing doing anything illegal. So he agreed and seems to be ok. Ill have to wait and see.

Can't type for toffee
Don
House opposite.... questioning what you do in your own garden?
Family or no I think that's a tad unreasonable, chainsaw every now and again disrupting their lives? Whey nar
If hes worried how long a few logs are sat on YOUR land, he could always lend a hand processing them?

The chap next door every now and again gets big bundles of logs n splits them all up on his drive.
He rarely uses a chainsaw and has some big like vicey/press/electric axe thing with that splits them all and ita relatively quiet.
You can always tell when he changes his wood as it smells different lol

Soldato
Yeh if it was a regular thing I could understand it being a nuicance and I wouldn't like it either.
But if you're literally just processing for your own use once a year for the winter ahead... Well I'd say that's fair enough and reasonable.

Back
Top Bottom