1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AJ to Everton

Discussion in 'Sports Arena' started by Stelly, 30 May 2006.

1. Stelly

Don

Alright People,

With Everton looking to signing AJ for £8.5 millions do you all think that this is over priced for this player? I'm finding it hard to say either way since you have to look at Barca and Real offering £50 million for Henry ... when you look at that it sets my mind thinking that AJ must be worth something around that...

Do we have any Evertonians on the OCuk Forums? (apart from me)

Stelly

2. Badboy2k3

Wise Guy

What you said kind of makes sense, but supposedly Ruud is going for 10 Million or so (if this is to be believed). If that is the case the AJ is worth a lot less imo.

3. Tunney

Capodecina

Everton seem to be the new Newcastle when it comes to wasting money. They paid way over the odds for Simon Davies too.

4. sandy10

Wise Guy

Massively overpriced in my opinion - one good season in the Premiership [21 goals / 11 pens!] doesn't justify such a fee.

As an aside, I believe i'm correct in saying he was part of the deal that took Clinton Morrison to Birmingahm, plus £3m?! thus putting Clinton in the £11.5m category?! [more good work by Stevie Bruce! haha - Walter Pandiani anyone?]

5. Oakesy2001uk

Mobster

decent player, but decent players shouldent cost that much. player costs will always spiral though and will keep doing, chelsea are seeing to that nicely.

6. FishFluff

Soldato

Everton fan here.

8.5mil is a too much in my opinion, but then so was 7mil for Crouch. English players always have a bit of a premium attached to them. I'm happpy we appear to be getting him and I thik he'll do the business for us, but personally I wouldn't have paid over 6mil.

7. Stelly

Don

Alright there fellow Evertonian...

Alright all I have to agree about fees here, but then again Everton did sell Marcus Bent for £2.75 million... and thats overpriced, so when you think about it if your willing to sell for overpriced fees your going to have to buy at overpriced fees as well

Stelly

8. Big Kev

Capodecina

He could prove a useful addition, but 8.5m is about 2.5m over to me, but as previously pointed out, he's English and that inflates the price.

9. bingham67

Soldato

Its £8.6 million Simon Jordan just confirmed it on SPN and Ian Dowie is new Charlton Manager. And Simon Jordan not happy he sent someone from the court into the press conference to hand a Writ for Fraudulent Statements about reasons for leaving.

All on Sky Sports News now. :)

10. foz2000

Hitman

8.5million is overpriced, he is a good striker but only one good season, hope he does well for them anyhow!

11. Stelly

Don

fair enough... I think that Everton were a little reluctant to pay 8.6 but we need a striker at the end of the day

12. Tasocahtfu

Hitman

Hmm, he is a good player but I am not convinced he is worth that amount just yet. As mentioned, 1 good-ish season in the top-flight so far with a fair proportion of his goals as penalties doesn't really justify the price tag for me, but then I'm sure David Moyes knows a fair bit more than I do!

Good luck to him, we'll see if he's worth it soon enough :)

13. ballistic

PermaBanned

No report said that the £50M for Henry offers were made this summer, for all we know they could have been made 2 years ago. In any case Johnson is not worth more than £5M, proved himself only one year in the premiership scoring most of them by penalties, I think he's better than Crouch (also overpriced) and Bent though.

14. wedgie

Sgarrista

It doesn't make much difference what other clubs offer for other players to be honest. What is more relavent is how much money Everton themselves have to spend on players. If david moyes had £40 million to spend then there wouldn't be many people moaning about him spending £8.5 on andy johnson. Questions do start getting asked however when you spend £8.5 million on 1 player if you only have a total of around £10 million to spend

15. GhostFace

Hitman

I'm in two minds about us getting Johnson, I'm happy about him coming the club but I'm not happy about the fee paid.

I wouldn't have paid more than £5m for him really, I just hope I'm wrong and he has a good season and ends up being worth every penny.

16. mcdermos

Wise Guy

Unfortunately if you want to buy an england (current squad or even recently squad) player your going to pay more than they are worth. Just look at wright-philips or crouch, IMO neither are worth their asking price.

17. davestar_delux

Mobster

Bear in mind he scored that many goals in the Premiership for a team that was relegated and he has had 2 good seasons in the 1st division. He is good in the air and has a lot of pace, is still fairly young, other teams were after him as well. People keep going on about penalties as well, he probably won those penalties so it's not fair to say anyone can put a penalty away, he probably isn't asking for an astronomical wage either.

So I think Everton will get their moneys worth out of him therefore technically not overpriced.

18. HangTime

Man of Honour

40 thousand pounds a week is fairly astronomical for clubs not competing in Europe, which also makes him the highest paid player at the club.

Personally I think it's hardly suprising that clubs are looking abroad these days when championship strikers are costing such exorbitant fees. I was quite suprised at how much WH paid for Ashton, but £8.6m for AJ is crazy money.

That said, from what I understand only around £5-6m of that fee is up front, the rest is based on conditions.

19. dannyjo22

Caporegime

Yes but remember drunken ferguson was on more than that and he's now off the books. Personally its 4 million to much, especially with the budget everton are likely to have. Better off finding someone cheaper for a million and a half to get the job done for a season.

Too many other squad problems to be spending 6 and then 8 million on strikers.

20. PhilNUK

Associate

I am a Liverpool Fan, also from Liverpool.
    The problem with Johnson is that although he's a good striker and proved it in the PL hes not worth 8 mill. Though him being English automatically bumps the price right up. He would be valued about 4-5 mill if he wasn't English. Its the same with Defoe... hes hardly played the last season and when he did it was bit parts, but because he's English he is priced way up there.