• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Akasa vortexx doesn't fit my 4870!

Soldato
I don't have the tools to do that, and I wouldn't really know how to do it properly.

Its very simple to do. Line up and use a marker to highlight what part of the cooler will make contact with the card.

Grab you self a junior hack saw or some kind of rotary cutting tool to remove the excess. Its only thin copper plate so it very easy to cut.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
You need to saw the card just before the capacitors, then attach the cooler and glue the other end back on.

Should work fine ;)

Err, I don't think so! :p It's metal for a start, not card, and I wouldn't be able to reattach the other end since it wouldn't fit in front of the caps, and there's also the 2 plastic vertical pillars to consider. or did I misunderstand you? Frankly, it was £15 and I might just buy something else that will hopefully fit as advertised.

Soldato
OP
Its very simple to do. Line up and use a marker to highlight what part of the cooler will make contact with the card.

Grab you self a junior hack saw or some kind of rotary cutting tool to remove the excess. Its only thin copper plate so it very easy to cut.

Hmm, guess so, ok, might be worth me trying.

Soldato
Err, I don't think so! :p It's metal for a start, not card, and I wouldn't be able to reattach the other end since it wouldn't fit in front of the caps, and there's also the 2 plastic vertical pillars to consider. or did I misunderstand you? Frankly, it was £15 and I might just buy something else that will hopefully fit as advertised.

Joke fail :( I meant your GPU.

*finds door*

Soldato
OP
Well on the positive side, my idle temp a few weeks ago was 52c, and 85c load with furmark at default 34% fan speed @1024 x768. Tonight, idle is 47c, and only 70c load with furmark at default 34% fan speed @1024 x768.:eek: Don't know how much of that is the mx-2 I put on, tightening screws better on gpu heatsink (they weren't that tight before I don't think) and possibly some sort of indirect cooling from the TRUE. So when the akasa is on, should be very interesting to see what kind of drops I get. Thanks again for all the advice, I'll get on to the junior hacksaw/dremel whatever, or I'll write to jim'll fix it.

Permabanned
I suspect the gfx card is not an ATI reference design, aftermarket coolers only fit the official reference design, but a lot of brand companies use their own "improved" design, as you've found out, the hard way, this means aftermarket coolers won't fit

Soldato
OP
Yeah. And the stock cooler is also non reference from what I gather. Though this apparently gives slightly better temps than some of the other reference cooler cards. Oh well at least I had my first experience of taking a GFX card apart :)

Soldato
Thats the first time I've seen a "neo" cooler" being obstructed like that, and I've fitted about 7 or 8 of those coolers to 4850 and 4870 cards. if the card's pcb has been modded/later revision than the original cards (which I doubt) then someone just allowed too much material at the rear of the cooler. As said, just take a junior hacksaw to the area thats fouling on those capacitors and remove it, then clean up the edges with a fine file or emery cloth, piece of cake really, but like I said, that cooler should have fitted ok in the first place.

Permabanned
Id strongly recomend against hacksawing anything, but maybe thats just me being overly cautious
If you read the info supplied with the vortexx and any other aftermarket cooler they do specifically state that they will only fit reference design PCBs and to double check with your cards manufacturer whether your is reference or not. As before, a lot of manufacturers when they include non reference coolers on their boards end up making the board non reference also (obviously the basic components are the same, they just change the layout) in an attempt to fit with what they believe to be a more efficient design for their cooler.

Soldato
OP
Id strongly recomend against hacksawing anything, but maybe thats just me being overly cautious
If you read the info supplied with the vortexx and any other aftermarket cooler they do specifically state that they will only fit reference design PCBs and to double check with your cards manufacturer whether your is reference or not.

Sorry, that's complete ********. There is nothing in the spec on ocuk, nor on the box, nor in the manual that says that. And there's no reason I should have checked with their website first bearing in mind the box says it's compatible with the 4870.

Soldato
Sorry, that's complete ********. There is nothing in the spec on ocuk, nor on the box, nor in the manual that says that. And there's no reason I should have checked with their website first bearing in mind the box says it's compatible with the 4870.

then again, it doesnt say 100% compatibility either. just playing devil's advocate. I wouldnt expect any cooler to fit my gpu unless i knew it was a reference design.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
then again, it doesnt say 100% compatibility either. just playing devil's advocate. I wouldnt expect any cooler to fit my gpu unless i knew it was a reference design.

Where does it say that?? On the box and the manual it says compatiblity list, ati and nividia, then goes on to list all the cards including 4870. Nothing about reference or non reference. That's why I bought it. I'm happy I bought it because I'll get it to fit, but please stop making me feel like an idiot, because I've gone on all the information that was supplied before purchase.

Soldato
Where does it say that?? On the box and the manual it says compatiblity list, ati and nividia, then goes on to list all the cards including 4870. Nothing about reference or non reference. That's why I bought it. I'm happy I bought it because I'll get it to fit, but please stop making me feel like an idiot, because I've gone on all the information that was supplied before purchase.

on the website. as i said, i wouldnt expect any cooler to fit my gpu unless i knew it was a reference design.
http://www.akasa.com.tw/update.php?...utions&type_sub=VGA Cooler&model=AK-VC03-BLUV
We do our best to make sure the compatibility list is up to date. Our VGA coolers are designed to be compatible with all the ATI & NVIDIA reference design VGA cards we list, however occasionally some manufactures deviate from the reference design and therefore we cannot guarantee compatibility with these cards. If you not sure please contact us for help.

wasn't try to make you feel like an idiot, but nowhere does it say 100% compatibility with the 4870's. or in otherwords, its not gauranteed to fit all of them.

Permabanned
Quote from Akasa's site:

Our VGA coolers are designed to be compatible with all the ATI & NVIDIA reference design VGA cards we list, however occasionally some manufactures deviate from the reference design and therefore we cannot guarantee compatibility with these cards. If you not sure please contact us for help.

And also if youd read reviews on OCers site youd of seen compatibility issues other people have had

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Ah right of course, it's my fault. :p
Anyway, I've sawn off and filed down and got cooler on. However, now there's a black finned oblong radiator type thing under the front of cooler stopping the centre of heatsink surface completely touching gpu core, I can see light between core & cooler. I removed radiator which has a long thermal pad under it covering even smaller square black chips. I don't know if those chips will stay cool now. I also had to remove rubber washers on 4 screw prongs to push card further down. It's making better contact, but removing cooler, paste was only on about half of cooler surface. Do I risk trying to see if it'll work safely or abort and replace radiator?

Back
Top Bottom