1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Dismiss Notice

Alder Lake-S leaks

Discussion in 'CPUs' started by Grim5, 19 Jan 2021.

1. Joxeon

Soldato

There will always be budget boards available as that's what most consumers buy, you'll probably have to wait a couple of months though for the B boards and the cheaper non K CPUs as these companies like to milk the early adopters.

2. alec

Wise Guy

Budget B and H series yeah, but Z will be expensive.

here's a leak of Asus Z690 boards
    https://www.techpowerup.com/287516/asus-z690-motherboards-listed-by-canadian-retailer
    Prime boards start at $222
    Normally the lowest tier I would look at for basic OC is TUF. Strix -F to be able to OC properly.

3. V F

Capodecina

Well, that's interesting. Though the copper plate is still designed for the smaller chips is it not or is it still big enough? Even still, I'm curious how it will cope with the heat to noise ratio.

4. uscool

Wise Guy

thats what I was wondering will current coolers be good enough to cover the whole chip ? the chips look long

5. Joxeon

Soldato

It was no different though when Zen 2 arrived and new X570 boards started from around £170 which was why I brought the B450 tomahawk instead.

6. Poneros

Soldato

[​IMG]

:cry: :p

7. jigger

Capodecina

Well, Intel might have a chance to start gaining back ground on AMD from Nove Lake on, though that is questionable if Intel have dropped its 3D stacking technology. Performance per watt parity by 2050 isn’t a realistic target IMO. Making a case for buying Intel, maybe to some extent. As for market leadership, probably not in terms as most people would define leadership.

A CPU with this level of power use on a budget motherboard… what could possibly go wrongz.

Make sense why Intel wants its new PSU standard :p

Im not sure they will.

Intel: Alderlake is 100 watt chip like AMD has.

Mobo maker: Cool $40 VRM it is.

Last edited by a moderator: 22 Oct 2021
  8. humbug

Caporegime

"oh we will be the best in 2025" again they are just talking out of their arse, they don't know what ARM and AMD or Apple are going to be doing in 4 years time...

9. Zarax

Gangster

Intel will rebrand in as Salt lake, too hot for water!

10. humbug

Caporegime

142 Watts socket power but they pull around 130 Watts peak in a high load like Blender, according to Steve Burke.

But they put a high quality VRM on AM4 boards, that's the thing about Intel boards, people say "oh because VRM's" the VRM's are the same on my board as they are on the Intel equivalent which costs £60 more, the difference is the 12+2 phase digital VRM on my board runs at ~50c in a high load. I don't know what the VRM temperature is on the Intel equivalent but its not 50c.

My board is £160, £140 if you get it without Intel Wifi 6. The VRM is not the cost of those boards.

11. humbug

Caporegime

None of this will matter, because reviewers will all use £500 boards and £200 cooling and say "its good, good temps"

They all like to benchmark them in games in a way where the GPU is the bottleneck because "realistic" but also use £700 worth of Motherboard and Cooling because they know Intel require that to get the most out of them.

This is why Intel don't care how many hundreds of watts their CPU's use.

12. scubes

Mobster

Cracker..:D

13. KompuKare

Wise Guy

Well, that's okay. It just means jigger's typo might be the real date!:
    ;p

14. jigger

Capodecina

GPU choice will probably be pretty important for gaming tests Alderlake. Tested with an RTX 3080 and highend SSD. Much smoulder.

15. humbug

Caporegime

1,000 Watt platinum PSU needed..... another £200.

lol...

16. AStaley

Wise Guy

Got to give it to Intel they do know how to package a product.

17. Journey

Capodecina

Trust me, recently marketing is about the only thing Intel are good at. :p

18. RavenXXX2

Capodecina

19. Iron Man

Gangster

Its tempting to upgrade to Alderlake given that it's getting cold at night now and this will double up for a nice heater but the weakness of the DDR5 ram at launch is a big turn off.

20. jigger

Capodecina

Lol,

Intel CEO: How are these new chips looking chaps?

Marketing guy: It’s looking like another winter launch boss…