• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Alder Lake-S leaks

Soldato
OP
I'm pretty bored with these old engineering sample leaks now.

alder lake is launching in 1 week, those engineering samples are now quite outdated, and these leaks are boring. Not long to go for the launch event.

Guess it shows why you won't be seeing more than 8 performance cores on a desktop platform.

Well yeah, crappy architecture for efficiency

Soldato
Isn't the NDA in effect until launch day a week later though? So all those with actual retail chips can't do anything until the 4th November...

Yet another synthetic benchmark, that's kinda impressive but also a bit dubious (not so much the result but the benchmark), so the single thread is ~31% better than the 5950X, and yet it just edges a win in multi-threaded by less than 1%

So that's a 'multi-threaded' benchmark that scales to what, 6 threads maybe? Assuming the bottleneck is only CPU and it's not something else, which would be equally as bad for a CPU benchmark...

Associate
Isn't the NDA in effect until launch day a week later though? So all those with actual retail chips can't do anything until the 4th November...

Yet another synthetic benchmark, that's kinda impressive but also a bit dubious (not so much the result but the benchmark), so the single thread is ~31% better than the 5950X, and yet it just edges a win in multi-threaded by less than 1%

So that's a 'multi-threaded' benchmark that scales to what, 6 threads maybe? Assuming the bottleneck is only CPU and it's not something else, which would be equally as bad for a CPU benchmark...

Very suspicious but I would imagine many sites will do a preview with a retail bought CPU done by someone who hasn't signed the NDA. Even if that means asking in their forums.

Caporegime

Same thing with Rocket Lake, pre-launch a lot of high CPU-Z and Cinebench scores, they turned out to be overclocked to the rafters and about all it was good for.

That's the thing with pre-orders, are these actually leaks or very deliberate and coordinated? If you're selling the product before its released and before the official benchmarks are out its more than a little useful to put things out that give people a certain impression of it, before the real reviews land after people have paid for it.

Its always CPU-Z and Cinebench. Just like it was with Rocket Lake.

Caporegime
Is there even any air cooler capable of dealing with that kind of heat?

A custom water loop, its because of overclocking but others have said its 270 Watts in PL2 mode as is and that's still insane, the cooling requirements is just more high expense to what is going to be an already expensive platform.

This is the thing about Intel and i'm ####### amazed that a lot of people seemingly still have not realised this, Intel cannot make an actually good CPU.

AMD CPU's generation to generation:

Smaller, more power efficient, higher IPC, higher Mhz and lower Intercore latency.... all at the same time.

Intel CPU's, yes the IPC is higher, but that's it, to achieve it those P cores are massive, i don't know how big they are compared with Zen cores but i wouldn't be surprised if they are at least twice the size, as a result the size of the CPU goes up and the power consumption goes up, this with a much better manufacturing process than the generation its replacing.

They can't do the whole thing, instead to keep up with AMD they just grow the size of the CPU core....

Soldato
Is there even any air cooler capable of dealing with that kind of heat?

Nah, that's way too much. It's also a matter of thermal density as we get to these smaller nodes, hence all the issues with cooling a 5800X for example. Could probably ease off the OC a bit without losing more than 2-3% performance though, and use a DH15 or a similar monstrosity.

75581.png

https://www.anandtech.com/show/9415/top-tier-cpu-air-coolers-9way-roundup-review/2

Soldato
Very suspicious but I would imagine many sites will do a preview with a retail bought CPU done by someone who hasn't signed the NDA. Even if that means asking in their forums.

Well no need for that, the review NDA is the same as launch day, so it's not that they'll need to use proper retail samples so much as those buying on launch day/pre-ordering are doing so blind (or based off the 'leaks')

Same thing with Rocket Lake, pre-launch a lot of high CPU-Z and Cinebench scores, they turned out to be overclocked to the rafters and about all it was good for.

That's the thing with pre-orders, are these actually leaks or very deliberate and coordinated? If you're selling the product before its released and before the official benchmarks are out its more than a little useful to put things out that give people a certain impression of it, before the real reviews land after people have paid for it.

Its always CPU-Z and Cinebench. Just like it was with Rocket Lake.

Yeah, it does seem rather curious and familiar doesn't it...

Of course we could all be surprised and it actually is a good improvement but I just can't help but thinking the way the leaks are going, and the pre-order/NDA timeline, we're going to see another Rocket Lake. Which whilst amusing isn't great for us consumers.

Soldato
People clinging to some 3dmark scores like it's the holy grail.
We'll see what happens in a couple weeks, but Intel would look like grade A morons if this doesn't come out and "destroy" AMDs current CPUs.
Didn't they also say AMDs time was over?

I'd bloody hope Alder Lake is much faster than current AMD offerings. They've been out for a while now, and AMD need a poke to keep the momentum up. It's clear they'll be happy to stagnate without competition.

I just think we'd have seen more fake leaks, and vague Intel graphs, if this was the real deal for desktop.

Soldato
I'd bloody hope Alder Lake is much faster than current AMD offerings. They've been out for a while now, and AMD need a poke to keep the momentum up. It's clear they'll be happy to stagnate without competition.

Seems a bit harsh? Zen3 was a decent step over Zen2, they've claimed 10-25% improvement overall and 15% average for games for the 3D Cache 'Zen3+' (and no really reason to doubt their claims, unlike Intel :p) and then a further double-digit increase to Zen4, that's hardly stagnation?

Soldato
I'm living on Earth. With no competition, prices will rise and price/performance will remain at exactly the same place.
We don't need to pretend AMD are the loving company, who treats us all right. Both companies couldn't give a hoot about us.

Soldato
I'm living on Earth. With no competition, prices will rise and price/performance will remain at exactly the same place.
We don't need to pretend AMD are the loving company, who treats us all right. Both companies couldn't give a hoot about us.

Certainly a potential threat, but we’ve seen no sign yet of AMD letting up. Maybe in the APU arena we have signs of stagnation but RDNA3 and DDR5 are coming.

Soldato
That's true and you can already see AMD doing that happening with GPUs like the 6600 when competition is lacking, it's is only 6% faster than a 5600XT but costs 18% more at the MSRP prices while using a smaller piece of silicon and a cut down PCIe Bus.

If AMD got a sizeable lead in the CPU like Intel had a few years back then I'm sure they would be diverting R&D to shareholders and serving up minimal upgrades for higher prices every generation.

Back
Top Bottom