• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Alder Lake-S leaks

Caporegime
I’m most cases (chassis) a blower style heat sink and fan has lot of advantages. I dropped super lucky and managed to buy and actually receive a RTX 3080! but I had too completely overhaul my cooling to deal with the heat the RTX 3080 dumps into the case. Heat soak was a big problem.

True, its just a shame blower coolers sound like hair dryers even if they are very good. i like my PC to be as quiet as possible, even when gaming, mine is now, its near inaudible sitting 2 feet away from me, thanks to a good GPU cooler that makes almost no noise.

Soldato
I'm well aware of that, i was aware of it before Hardware Unboxed, but if you have a proper CPU its not a problem :p You shouldn't be pairing an i5 with a 3090.

Well I wouldn’t pair an RTX 3080 with anything less than a Ryzen 5800X as Ampere seems to really choke CPU performance.

The RX 5700XT on the other hand would perform well with right down to a Xeon E3 1260L.

OcUK Staff
Stock only or binned ones too?

EDIT: Guessing that means the reviews going live soon too?

We have stock of everything but also bear in mind because of the Intel NDA, we can only take pre-orders, we cannot ship our stock until November 4th, so people will get their processors November 5th, we cannot ship any sooner I am afraid due to the Intel NDA.

Associate
We have stock of everything but also bear in mind because of the Intel NDA, we can only take pre-orders, we cannot ship our stock until November 4th, so people will get their processors November 5th, we cannot ship any sooner I am afraid due to the Intel NDA.

are you taking pre orders on systems built by you as well or just the single items?

Caporegime

This also makes me suspicious, if its that good why not have the reviews go out so people can see how good it is before they buy.

Rocket Lake had the same buy blind now with independent reviews a week later.

Soldato
True, its just a shame blower coolers sound like hair dryers even if they are very good. i like my PC to be as quiet as possible, even when gaming, mine is now, its near inaudible sitting 2 feet away from me, thanks to a good GPU cooler that makes almost no noise.

It’s going to be interesting to see how people get on with a 250-400 watt Alderlake CPU, Gen 4 SSD and 500watt plus RTX 3090 all venting heat to the case.

Associate

Are stock levels good?

V F

V F

Soldato
It’s going to be interesting to see how people get on with a 250-400 watt Alderlake CPU, Gen 4 SSD and 500watt plus RTX 3090 all venting heat to the case.

This is what I'm very eager to see. Remember those people saying 1000 watt PSUs is overkill?

Associate
Just pre-ordered my 12900K, Asus Rog Maximus Hero Mobo and 32GB of Dominator RGB DDR5 on OCUK. Am I the only one or am I in the wrong thread/subforum?

Last edited:
Caporegime
Yea that is why I think TPU are probably the best to use since they test 720P Max as well as other resolutions. If Anandtech added lowest res + Max IQ to their test suite (and since Ian automated most of it I don't think this is hard for him to do but what do I know?) they would also be a good goto for pure stock metrics since they use Jedec spec timings + Intel spec IMC speed + Intel spec power and tau.
The problem I have with TPU is they use a 5800X in their test setup for testing high end GPUs. They really should be using a 5950X as it is (at least at the moment) the fastest gaming CPU out there.
As someone who owns a 250w 5950x, pcie4 ssd and 500w rtx3090, I don't see what's different
You have to enable PBO to get the CPU to draw more than 142W under worst case scenario of all core load.

Soldato
£200 Mobo + £300 CPU (12600KF) + £250 RAM (32 GB 4800 Mhz DDR5) so £720 in total...

A budget version for now was B560 (£110) + i5 11400f (£150) + £120 RAM (32 GB 3200 Mhz DDR4 that's a decent kit to OC, Viper Steel) for £380.

Hmm, let's see the performance now. Prices are not TOO bad in the end.

Back
Top Bottom