• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Alder Lake-S leaks

Associate
Does anyone think there be an appreciable difference between 12700k and 12900k in gaming? Don’t really know whether the 12900k is worth the extra.
Looks like reviewer kit includes only 12900K and 12600K. So might not get a final answer on launch day even.

From obvious differences, 12700K has 4 fewer Ecores (games don't care), 200 MHz lower boost and 1/6th less cache.
Games do like high boost and more cache. I'd say it is not worth the extra 180.

Wait for reviews

Samsung ic’s are best again
What are the other IC's available? Micron?

Associate
Looks like reviewer kit includes only 12900K and 12600K. So might not get a final answer on launch day even.

From obvious differences, 12700K has 4 fewer Ecores (games don't care), 200 MHz lower boost and 1/6th less cache.
Games do like high boost and more cache. I'd say it is not worth the extra 180.

Wait for reviews

What are the other IC's available? Micron?

Samsung, micron and sk Hynix

Soldato
Samsung, micron and sk Hynix
Any idea what the memory controller caps out at in gear 2? I've seen 8000mhz ram running in gear 2 but then for Intels own CPU testing they were running DDR5 4400 so it it possible they were running this in gear 1 to avoid the latency hit of gear 2 which would mean around 8800mhz gear 2 is possible.

Associate
Any idea what the memory controller caps out at in gear 2? I've seen 8000mhz ram running in gear 2 but then for Intels own CPU testing they were running DDR5 4400 so it it possible they were running this in gear 1 to avoid the latency hit of gear 2 which would mean around 8800mhz gear 2 is possible.

Gear 2 cap will be cpu and board tune dependent after which you need gear 4 which is absolutely not worth it. Intel was running gear2 and w11 vbs on as well. People are still testing and tuning bios so it’ll be a while before we find a cut off range for gear2 but for good boards and high end kits, 7000+ should be fine.

Associate
possible they were running this in gear 1 to avoid the latency hit of gear 2
From previous leaks, gear 1 on AL tops out in same region as Rocket Lake, so 3600-4000. And gear 2 goes double that.
Strange that they didn't use in-spec DDR5-4800. Review kit ships with DDR5-5000.

Associate
What way does the pci express lanes work I have 3 ssds 2 nvme.2 hardrives will my lanes be effected with all these drives??
There will be M2 slot 4x PciE 4.0 lanes directly from CPU, the rest will come from chipset. But CPU-chipset pipe is bigger now, equivalent to 8x PciE 4.0, so bandwidth wise will be enough.

Whether additional PciE slots are sharing lanes with SATA or M2 storage, depends on motherboard.

Soldato
Gear 2 cap will be cpu and board tune dependent after which you need gear 4 which is absolutely not worth it. Intel was running gear2 and w11 vbs on as well. People are still testing and tuning bios so it’ll be a while before we find a cut off range for gear2 but for good boards and high end kits, 7000+ should be fine.
Interesting. Any indications as to how boards with tuned DDR4 compare to those with tuned DDR5? I'm curious as to how the higher latencies impacts things like games as I've found (in part thanks to you) that getting those latencies down can have a significant impact on certain scenarios.

Associate
FCvQtuRVgAEbmnh

Looking at these results and cross comparing to 11900K reviews I see the 12900K edging gaming by maybe 10% at most on average vs Zen 3 but there are going to be some heavy losses. 25% faster in CS:GO is still behind Zen 3 at 1080p, 12% faster in Serious Sam 4 is going to be slower than Zen 3, the regression in Rainbow Six Siege is going to widen the existing gap there and there are others that look like Zen 3 will be ahead. The other differential is that the 12900K has higher turbo power limits and more L3 cache than the 12700K and 12600K parts so it is going to be the fastest gaming CPU in the Intel stack by a few % at least and that could easily make the 12700K vs 5800X or 12600K vs 5600X gaming comparisons a lot closer than 12900K vs 5900X for example.

It makes me think that Zen 3d will beat this in gaming performance.

Associate
Interesting. Any indications as to how boards with tuned DDR4 compare to those with tuned DDR5? I'm curious as to how the higher latencies impacts things like games as I've found (in part thanks to you) that getting those latencies down can have a significant impact on certain scenarios.

No real info/data on DDR4 since none of the top end boards the group has/is interested in have ddr4. The primary focus will be on ddr5 from all sides for good or bad. But yes, the days of low to mid 30nm latencies are well behind us.

Associate
I hate that they have review embargoes on launch day. All the stock is gone by then so there’s no point watching those reviews in the first place. If Alderlake was really as good as what they were saying, reviews should have been live on preorder.

Soldato
I hate that they have review embargoes on launch day. All the stock is gone by then so there’s no point watching those reviews in the first place. If Alderlake was really as good as what they were saying, reviews should have been live on preorder.

It’s probably an attempt to drum up some interest.

If Intel had released the chip at the same time it probably would have meh, more, more of the same but this time with a little less.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom