• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Alder Lake-S leaks

Soldato
Complete speculation statement though surely as nothing about this statement has any foundation?

On the contrary those reviewers who are active on Twitter etc are hinting at the exact opposite but cannot say any more due to the embargo.

Educated guesswork drawing on experience.

Soldato
Impossible though because this is a new architecture so past experiences cannot apply under this context as nobody has any idea other than the reviewers who have the kit in-house right now.

Well 15 years and counting of working within industry developing hardware and software, plus more years than I can remember as a hardcore hardware enthusiasts, has my spider senses more than tingling.

Soldato
There's a screenshot floating around with Intel telling people to disable the e-cores for better gaming performance and lower power consumption. Seems a little unlikely given how much they've been bigging up the new scheduler. If this is true, gaming may be as good on Win10 as it is 11.

I haven’t seen it. Intel need the Atom core and Skylake core to work together or Alderlake will get destroyed by the 5900X and 5950X. If that was to happen the 12900 chip is in £400 bracket before Christmas. And maybe not even that.

Associate
Don't like the white motherboard would either have the black motherboard ...

Well it's not really white it's brushed metal but as it happens I wanted white this time anyway because I have a Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL with an H150i Elite Capelix AIO and white custom cables so it will suit my build down to the ground.

Associate
Well it's not really white it's brushed metal but as it happens I wanted white this time anyway because I have a Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL with an H150i Elite Capelix AIO and white custom cables so it will suit my build down to the ground.
Black and White for me like my 2016 Corsair Air540/6700K/Asus Z170-A/GTX1080 rig. Takes what ever RGB colour that my mood desires. Not a fan of being stuck with one colour theme forever because I used/chose a particular colour Extension cables at time of build. My O11 Dynamic XL is Black, Black Mobo, Black Framed Corsair QL120 fans but with white fan blades, white Lian Li Strimmer+ PSU cables for mobo and GPU, plastidipping white detailing to my Elite LCD Upgrade Kit for my Corsair Elite Capellix 150i, and also to my Asus Strix 3090 who's fans I am also replacing with replacement fans for the White version of the card. Couldn't get a White Strix 3090 anyway but I think it would have stood out too much in my Black case whereas it would look the business in yours. When I replace the Thermal Pads on my GPU, I'll be taking the opportunity to add some iCUE RGB strips inside the GPU shroud to light up those white fan blades.

Associate
Black and White for me like my 2016 Corsair Air540/6700K/Asus Z170-A/GTX1080 rig. Takes what ever RGB colour that my mood desires. Not a fan of being stuck with one colour theme forever because I used/chose a particular colour Extension cables at time of build. My O11 Dynamic XL is Black, Black Mobo, Black Framed Corsair QL120 fans but with white fan blades, white Lian Li Strimmer+ PSU cables for mobo and GPU, plastidipping white detailing to my Elite LCD Upgrade Kit for my Corsair Elite Capellix 150i, and also to my Asus Strix 3090 who's fans I am also replacing with replacement fans for the White version of the card. Couldn't get a White Strix 3090 anyway but I think it would have stood out too much in my Black case whereas it would look the business in yours. When I replace the Thermal Pads on my GPU, I'll be taking the opportunity to add some iCUE RGB strips inside the GPU shroud to light up those white fan blades.

Yeah I mean never had a white build before and it does seem to look cleaners for longer not showing the dust as easy.

I should add which I forgot I have it fully populated with 10 Corsair Ql 120's these things were as expensive as the case lol, Only yesterday I removed the fans from the white capellix, I'm not even sure what fans they're but they're white also.

Absolute nightmare to build needed 2 RGB cores and what I didn't realise when I ordered the H150i Elite Capellix last week was that it needed the commander core to operate! Is I've got controllers jammed at the right side lol with an NZXT internal USB hub.

Why did Corsair force that on the Capellix and not just run the pump from direct data us beyond me, I don't use the fan controller for the fans I have them connected to the motherboard.

Associate
Yeah I mean never had a white build before and it does seem to look cleaners for longer not showing the dust as easy.

I should add which I forgot I have it fully populated with 10 Corsair Ql 120's these things were as expensive as the case lol, Only yesterday I removed the fans from the white capellix, I'm not even sure what fans they're but they're white also.

They'd be Elite ML120's

Absolute nightmare to build needed 2 RGB cores and what I didn't realise when I ordered the H150i Elite Capellix last week was that it needed the commander core to operate! Is I've got controllers jammed at the right side lol with an NZXT internal USB hub.

Have the NZXT USB2 Mobo Header Hub too. Dreading the cable nightmare! LOL

Why did Corsair force that on the Capellix and not just run the pump from direct data us beyond me, I don't use the fan controller for the fans I have them connected to the motherboard.

They saw that many more people where wanting to do Push/Pull on their rads and the 2 fan cables connected and powered direct from their older generations of pump units where no longer enough and then RGB added to the mix. It actually made sense to move all that off the pump unit to a dedicated unit with 6 Fan Headers and RGB Headers to cater for these new demands. Not that Push/Pull is needed on a 25mm thick Rad. Only makes sense on the big thick 60mm jobbies. Same with people using ugly Noctuas or other High Static Pressure fans and poopoo'ing the 'Poor' performance of QL120's as Radiator fans for example. Theres probably literally about 3-4ºc temp difference between a 'Poor' QL120 and the best Noctua Radiator Fan. If one is worried about 3-4ºc then you have bigger problems with your system!! LOL.

I always use iCUE control for my Corsair AIO's or at least install it and set my default fan/pump profiles before disabling iCUE. That way I can set the Fan and pump speeds to be based off the AIO Water temp and not the CPU Package temp like it would be if the fans were controlled from the motherboard fan headers. As Water has a high heat capacity and heats up slower it means that short term temp spikes like opening a media heavy web page in Chrome for example doesn't cause the fans to annoyingly ramp up and down all the time. Only sustained loads slowly heating up the water cause my fan profile to speed up the pump and fans and its a gradual thing not a Revving of the Fan engine kind of thing. WRT to disabling iCUE. Now that I have a shed load of Corsair iCUE Fans and RGB strips in my system as well as a Corsair AIO and also a much faster 16 Core CPU, well I won't want to nor need to disable iCUE anymore and can leave it on permanently. Perfect use case for one of my E-Cores on my 12900K! LOL

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Soldato
OP
Remember though Alderlake supports dynamic RAM overclocking for both DDR4 and DDR5, so whatever RAM you have you should be able to get a bit more % out of it thanks to that what appears to be a simple toggle feature in the BIOS alone.

Dynamic overclocking is a power saving feature, it's basically the same as the CPUs boost function. It makes the ram idle at 1.1v 4800 and when the RAM is needed for a heavy task it changes to your overclock settings which might be 1.6v 6400.

The ram isn't going to run any faster than if you set a 24/7 overclock, with dynamic overclocking it just allows the ram to reduce power draw when it's not needed. Mostly pointless for desktop users, maybe more worthwhile for laptops

Last edited:
Soldato
OP

Maybe a hint in this video regarding DDR4 vs DDR5, came out like an hour ago the video.

Happy to see you picked up on that comment "Hold off on Motherboard/Ram purchase' comment", that's why I added a direct link to the tweet.

I think 4th November there will be some happy people on their preorders and some not so happy. We have to wait and see so don't panic, worst case you can cancel the order if not sent out or refuse delivery so it gets sent back and get a refund.

I hope they have done something good Intel this time and puts a bit of pressure on AMD too and then AMD puts pressure back on them, so overall the consumer wins and we get better tech for the money.

Yep haha

On pre order day I was telling people do not buy ram and mobo yet cause you have no idea on the performance. With the cpu you know due to leaks but you have no idea what you are actually buying with the ram and mobo - its a lottery, Silicon lottery!

Soldato
OP
The single threaded performance of these CPUs is turning out to be very impressive. I am starting to think even the 10600K might beat the 5900X in gaming.

yeabits good but this particular 12900k was under LN2. Like I've said before the 12900k is the new overclocking king, you will not get these numbers day to day because the 12900k pulls enormous power and heat but if you have the cooling and power budget for a short period you can use that to get crazy good benchmarks.

Also, this benchmark is not even that good - this 12900k was at 6.3ghz on P core with LN2. The editors at Toms hardware using their 12900k have already being able to get 6.8ghz on P core using a derbauer LN2 pot

Last edited:
Associate
@beasty6 11700K vs 5800X, I'm also adding Serious Sam 4 because its very heavy on the CPU and they didn't include it on this chart for some reason.

ADL really needs to gain about 15% overall to match Zen 3, and it very well could surpass that, but we should wait, its 2 days.

PS: GPU bound games are just that, a GPU benchmark. a faster CPU will not show up in those.

LEi6OH2.png

BBergCT.png

Do you have a link to the source for those graphs? I'd be interested to see system specs in terms of Ram config etc.

Back
Top Bottom