• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Alder Lake-S leaks

Associate
Igors lab has done more benchmarks with the 12900k locked to 125w and it's impressive.

It's performance per watt is very impressive against ryzen 5000.

In most cases the 12900k gains very little extra performance from being allowed to go up to 240w.

if you want efficiency, lock your 12900k in the bios to 125w PL1 and on average it going to 95% as fast as at 240w PL2

https://www.igorslab.de/en/intel-ma...ion-einsatz-und-eine-niederlage-fuer-amd-2/9/

Anyone with half a brain knew ADL wasn't inefficient by looking at the watts per perf figures of the lower power 12700.

The 12900K is a performance car with the an ECU tune that wrings every last drop of performance out of it that gets 17mpg. De-tune it it a bit and it's still very fast but now at 30mpg. Is the out-the-box tune on the 12900K a bit nuts? Yeah, probably.

Also, Ryzen chips taking double the power of ADL at idle and you're telling me AMD won't go big.little? Yeah right.

Associate
I know trolls exist on both sides of any subject but stuff like this really does put you off one side at any given time.

EtuBK7I.png

I think their titles are a little too click bait at the minute. I watch most of their videos.

The 12600k review is up and that may be the option. Will probably wait till the DDR5 is more available whenever that will be.

Associate
If you’re getting entry even ddr5 (since that is all what’s available) I’d strongly suggest getting ddr4 bdie instead unless! You’re going to upgrade to a higher ddr5 kit later.

Soldato
I know trolls exist on both sides of any subject but stuff like this really does put you off one side at any given time.

Not sure why comments from 'fools' on either side would allow you to be put off anything, you buy what suits your needs using a scientific or cost approach, or at least that is what sensible people do. If everyone took notice of bias and made the opposite decision accordingly then the world would be in utter chaos.

Associate
So if I were a customer, the first thing I’d do is restore the motherboard according to the whitepaper and cheekily dispense with the energetic extra dope
Igor seems to actually recommend people power limit the 12900K (lol at the google translate btw). How is this done though? On the boards I've seen, you get the options of intel boost limits (i.e PL2) or let the motherboard decide? How would you make PL2=PL1?

EDIT: Maybe I'm misreading it. Maybe he's not limiting the power at all, he's just stopping the board from setting PL1=PL2. Seems like boards are shipping with that by default.

Last edited:
Soldato
Glad to see competition again, it is the best result for consumers ultimately. The 12600k looks a good upgrade.

I’ve watched a few reviews, but I’m sure someone mentioned one with flight sim x as a benchmark, but haven’t been able to find it. Anyone remember which review it was?

Soldato
Soldato
The interesting point Intel and AMD have confirmed is the current core count to leverage the majority of today’s performance on a typical build Windows PC is 10-12 cores with around 20-24 threads.

Back
Top Bottom