1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alec Baldwin fatally shoots woman with prop gun on movie set

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Le Clandestin Brun, 22 Oct 2021.

1. Le Clandestin Brun

Sgarrista

Ignoring the potential irony of the plot... how can you kill someone with a prop gun? I'm assuming a prop gun is fake and simply fires blanks or potentially something which makes the muzzle flash, but perhaps I'm wrong.

Anyone with more knowledge of film prop firearms care to enlighten me?

Also, how did he shoot the directors? I suppose if he's aiming towards camera it is understandable the aim would be towards them, but surely they wouldn't be that close to the discharge.

If the prop gun is legitimate, then would there be potential for related charges of accidental death due to negligence?

Last edited: 22 Oct 2021
  2. Malevolence

Capodecina

Brandon Lee suffered a similar fate when filming The Crow, in that case somebody forgot to remove the primers from the dummy rounds. Depending on the circumstances, blanks/dummy rounds can be just as deadly as an actual bullet. I can still remember the demonstration given by our Staff Sergeant in Army Cadets with a blank round and a bag of cow's blood before handing us a shedload of blanks and sending us off into the woods for war games.

3. Le Clandestin Brun

Sgarrista

Oh mad, I always thought someone swapped out the guns or maybe I've been fooled by a conspiracy theory my whole life.

Because of the explosion or is there also something physical which ejects like a projectile?

4. Hotwired

Sgarrista

The burning gas jet and particles from a blank will blow a hole through your skin and flesh without a bullet.

This dissipates with distance so you need to be really close, ideally contacting, to seriously wound someone with it.

5. theone8181

Soldato

We had similar when in army cadets and a bucket of water. I thought the blanks split in half or something.

6. Chris Wilson

Soldato

In this film the director is also a (somewhat careless) actor in it.

7. Captain

Capodecina

Why have you put a silly colour for the quoted text? Can’t read it.

8. Dirk Diggler

Capodecina

No doubt this will be presented as further evidence of misogyny from the patriarchy.

9. VincentHanna

Capodecina

Blimey, give it a rest.

10. Terminal_Boy

Capodecina

The big question is why he was pointing a prop gun at the director and the director of photography in the first place.

11. VincentHanna

Capodecina

Probably just going over a scene, taking direction with input from the DP as to what shots they might want to achieve.

12. Jono8

Caporegime

Did anyone notice a suspicious looking bald person with a barcode on the back of his head on set that day?

13. Dirk Diggler

Capodecina

You're not allowed to crack jokes, apparently.

14. VincentHanna

Capodecina

You're fine to crack funny ones.

15. Feek

Commissario

Looks like it was a straight copy/paste from a website with black on white. I've edited it so it's actually readable.

16. Le Clandestin Brun

Sgarrista

Sorry, it must have copied across from the BBC article - didn't notice it on my phone. I've changed it now, is it better?

17. Le Clandestin Brun

Sgarrista

Snap

18. 200sols

Sgarrista

The headline is awful, makes it sound like he meant to kill her.

19. diamount

Mobster

I can already imagine lawyers franctically trying to get in touch with her family about a potential civil lawsuit. I imagine everyone invovled in on-set production would have a NDA about rare occurences such as these or would that stricly be for stunt doubles etc?

20. deuse

Capodecina

How could his gun misfire 3 times at 3 people?