Alien Civilisations like us extremely rare?

Earth could be the only place in the Universe where intelligent life has arisen says Prof Brian Cox.

While microbial life forms could well be common, the physicist believes that ‘things like us may be extremely rare’.

I have often thought this to be so. What are you thoughts? We have never seen any evidence amongst the stars. We have been looking for a while now. While we can now identify some solar systems with planets, nothing so far has even hinted at life elsewhere yet.

Soldato
I doubt we are alone, rare yes.

But the vastness of space and sheer size, it's completely uncomprehendable to most humans (I include myself in this) there almost certainly has to be other life out there.

However, from what we know, the conditions we have for life are nothing short of a miracle.

Yet we are trashing this planet and pointing nukes at each other. And for what?

Soldato
Neil Degrasse Tyson (or Richard Dawkins?) made a point about how intelligence doesn't appear to be necessary on an evolutionary level. Different evolutionary paths on our planet that were isolated from each other led to similar tools (different kinds of eyes for gathering information at a distance, a way to get around etc) but intelligence doesn't seem to be common like that.

It just doesn't appear to be a necessary tool for survival.

Edit: Cant find the video, it may have been Richard Dawkins talking to Neil Degrasse Tyson...

Last edited:
Soldato
Another thought..
in universe terms, u either have to travel super fast or live super long to be able to explore, so intelligence is basically worthless if u die before u get anywhere.

Another thing to get your head around is how time isn't constant.

So say you are some alien race travelling at super fast speeds, the faster you travel the faster time around you progresses.

Commissario
intelligent
Define intelligent.

We consider we're more intelligent than dolphins because we have achieved so much - The wheel. New York, wars and so on - whilst all the dolphins have ever done is muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins believe that they are far more intelligent than man for precisely the same reasons.

Define intelligent.

We consider we're more intelligent than dolphins because we have achieved so much - The wheel. New York, wars and so on - whilst all the dolphins have ever done is muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins believe that they are far more intelligent than man for precisely the same reasons.
So long and thanks for all the fish.

Man of Honour
I'm personally of the opinion when you factor the known age of the universe with the specific circumstances for most kinds of advanced life we really are just very early on and unless the universe is far larger than we think there likely are few if any instances other than earth.

Soldato
Anyone who thinks that there isn't numerous intelligent life out there fails to comprehend the sheer vast size of the universe. If we exist then there will be many, many other intelligent life forms also out there. Many races will have existed long before us and many will exist long after we're gone.

Back
Top Bottom