Aliens: Original Vs Special Edition

Soldato
Funnily enough I was just have a discussion with someone in work today about sequels, specifically sequels that are better than the originals. There aren't many of them, T2 and Aliens were all I could think of without going back even further atleast.

Soldato
Funnily enough I was just have a discussion with someone in work today about sequels, specifically sequels that are better than the originals. There aren't many of them, T2 and Aliens were all I could think of without going back even further atleast.

I don't think either Aliens or T2 are better than the first - I do however think both could be classed 'as good as' in that they expand and build on what went before while adding something new.

Soldato

Aliens isn't better than Alien but you can add The Dark Knight being better than Batman Begins to your list.

Man of Honour
Aliens is a bit more matured take on it, I'm not sure I'd say either Alien or Aliens were better but Aliens will always be my more favourite of the two as it mixes the horror with a good dose of escapism and a worthy follow up as you can't really replay the Alien card and trying to do so would most likely result in a so-so movie at best.

Soldato
Aliens is my favourite, I think I prefer the original version. The sentry guns are great but I think the bit showing the colony and finding the ship takes away from the part when the marines arrive.

Love Alien too but they're different films in their own right. Aliens is much more re-watchable than Alien.

Soldato
I guess a few of the subtle differences to note, towards the start of the movie, there is a scene where Ripley is in a room sitting on a park bench with a woodland scene actually on a TV screen, and adds plot about her daughter.

I can take or leave this part.

Interested to hear what people think.

I think people miss how more better the film is for this scene, and how much it explains Ripleys bond to Newt, Newt would have been a little younger than Rip[leys daughter when she left her, its adds a massive emotion connection to Ripley and Newt and why Ripley goes all out bad ass to save her.

I prefer the Sentry guns purely on the fact that it shows just how many they must be up against and how un relenting the Xenomorphs are in wanting to get to them.

Soldato
The best sequels are often a different type of film.
Alien was a slow horror film, Alien was an action film with horror elements.
Very similar for terminator, the first a scifi horror, the second an action film.

GFII obviously gets touted as better sequel, but I loved the first one also, different films.

Soldato
GFII obviously gets touted as better sequel, but I loved the first one also, different films.

Side tracking… GF2 is widely considered to be better than the original as you say but it performed worse in the box office. While I think it’s a brilliant film, I’ve always preferred the fist one and I wonder if GF2 is a classic case of the critics know best. Or maybe it just took a few years to gain traction

Soldato
Very similar for terminator, the first a scifi horror, the second an action film.
I feel that's why both Aliens and T2 are commonly mentioned off handedly as better than the originals, they're just more accessible films and require less investment.

I said earlier in the thread, i think neither is a better sequel, at best, mood dependent, they could both be seen as good as the original, although while I consider Alien/Aliens on equal footing, when I think further, I absolutely consider The Terminator better than Judgement Day, albeit only marginally so.

Soldato

They are both action Sci Fi, dont see any element the first one being a horror, they are both " Chase" movies at their base, the second one just had better executed set pieces.

Back
Top Bottom