All New Summer 2008 Transfer Merry Go Round/Rumour Mill

Associate
Well then. There are only 3 league games remaining until yet another season is closed and then it will be the ever annoying and highly entertaining time of the transfer market.

The annoying Davedev is touted Berbatov around to anyone who might want him and as ever the man himself is keepig quiet, rumours are Robinson and possibly Ledley King are leaving WHL also, and we are linked with Gomez as the replacement between the sticks.

There have also been suggestions we want to raid Scotland again for the now Player and Young Player of the Year Aiden McGeady.

Arsenal are considered by some to be looking at making wholesale changes, with rumours of Flamini and Hleb moving on, and possibly Adebayor.

If the rumours are true that the Special One is off to Inter, will the likes of Drogba and Lampard join him in Milan?

The tabloids and SSN are already awash with articles on who is going where and who is not wanted there. So, who are you hoping your team keep hold of this summer? Who would you like your club to sell, and as the summer draws on, who have you been linked with, are your impressed with the signings/rumours?

Lets here your thoughts.

Soldato
Need a striker. Benzema would be great but I don't see it happening.

Also need a LB so Evra can have a rest at times. Maybe a CB if Pique leaves, not sure Evans is upto it. Possibly another winger as well, one who could play both wings for cover.

Oh, and Saha will be sold for anywhere in the region of £10-£20.

Last edited:
Don
Rafa has stated that he's already completed deals for 3 players. 2 youngsters who'll be for both the first team and reserves and 1 senior player to go straight into the first team. It was reported that Rafinha (Schalke rb) was the senior player but Rafa has said that the player speeks very good english (although isn't english) so im not sure it's him.

I'd imagine there will be quite a bit of movement in and out of Anfield this summer. We need both a rb as finnan is gettting on and he doesn't trust Arbeloa, and a lb as Aurelio can't stay fit and Rafa doesn't trust Riise. We really need another winger to play down the right and possibly another striker (especially if Crouch leaves). Other than that we may go after another cm if Alonso is to go.

Rumour has it that Carson, Riise, Pennant, Crouch and possibly Alonso (and Voronin but who cares) could all be on there way out the door. We shpuld be able to bring in somewhere in the region of £25m to £40m (depending on Alonso) if all those leave and with another ~£20m given to Rafa we should be able to bring in top players for the positions needed.

As i mentioned above it seems as if Rafinha's been lined up as a rb and Barry or Johnson as a replacement for Alonso. No idea who we'll be after for the other positions though, i'd like to see somebody like Quaresma or Silva.

Permabanned
Rafa has stated that he's already completed deals for 3 players. 2 youngsters who'll be for both the first team and reserves and 1 senior player to go straight into the first team. It was reported that Rafinha (Schalke rb) was the senior player but Rafa has said that the player speeks very good english (although isn't english) so im not sure it's him.

I'd imagine there will be quite a bit of movement in and out of Anfield this summer. We need both a rb as finnan is gettting on and he doesn't trust Arbeloa, and a lb as Aurelio can't stay fit and Rafa doesn't trust Riise. We really need another winger to play down the right and possibly another striker (especially if Crouch leaves). Other than that we may go after another cm if Alonso is to go.

Rumour has it that Carson, Riise, Pennant, Crouch and possibly Alonso (and Voronin but who cares) could all be on there way out the door. We shpuld be able to bring in somewhere in the region of £25m to £40m (depending on Alonso) if all those leave and with another ~£20m given to Rafa we should be able to bring in top players for the positions needed.

As i mentioned above it seems as if Rafinha's been lined up as a rb and Barry or Johnson as a replacement for Alonso. No idea who we'll be after for the other positions though, i'd like to see somebody like Quaresma or Silva.

Its a shame Villa wont stump up the cash for SC, it was lookign a done deal for ages, imnot so sure we are oing to have lots ofmoney to spend, theres just too much turmoil in the boardroom:(

Don
The turmoil hasn't affected Rafa if, like he says, he's signed 3 players already.

As for Carson, it's just Villa trying to knock the price down. Im sure he'll be off for around £8m.

Soldato
Well the rumours are that Spurs will be signing Ronaldinho, Gattuso, David Villa, Quagliarella, Capel, every Spanish player ever...

*yawn*

Soldato
currently at newcastle

out

nzogbia to spurs
martins to anyone big
owen rumours persist

in

Aiden McGeady - doubt it
dawson from spurs
Toulouse midfielder Achille Emana
crouch , riise and pennant from liverpool - again doubt it
Pascal Chimbonda is again linked with us

they are the only one's that arn't completly absurd so I've posted them

Don
It's clear Benitez has settled on this 4-2-3-1 formation and he's not happy being a replacement to Torres or just playing in the games where we go 4-4-2. The money we could get for him would hopefully go someway to buying a decent winger.

If the above is the reason why Crouch wants to leave then he should really think carefully about it. It's all good and well joining Villa, Newcastle etc but he's not going to be in any better position than he is with us. He's played 35 games (albeit only 20 starts) but has been unhappy at missing the big games and wants to play more. By joining a 'lesser' club he's not going to play many more games (Carew for example has played 29 games) as they won't be in CL etc and by being at a 'lesser' side he's not going to be involved in any big matches either.

Caporegime
It's clear Benitez has settled on this 4-2-3-1 formation and he's not happy being a replacement to Torres or just playing in the games where we go 4-4-2. The money we could get for him would hopefully go someway to buying a decent winger.
We do need a world class winger and the money Crouch would bring in would go some way towards getting one but with only Kuyt and Voronin as backup we'd be well and truly ****** if Torres ever got injured. Really can't see Rafa selling him unless we've got a better replacement lined up.

Don
If Crouch wants to leave there will be little Rafa can do. He's only got a year left on his deal so it will be a push to get £8-9m for him now and if we don't sell him now and he doesn't sign a new deal then he end up going for free.

As i said above, im sure that if he leaves we will buy a striker but a winger is the priority for the first 11 and if Rafa can only afford 1 £15m+ player (if certain players didn't leave etc) then i'd want it to be a winger not a striker.

Soldato
Wouldn't mind Villa and Silva joining us! Valencia are having their worst season in years and are just 2 points above the drop. Unthinkable as it is, if they do go down then it's certain Villa will leave and possibly a few others.

Associate
Villa:

Almost certain Carson won't sign permanently - seems Brad Guzon is likely to come in, and there are lingering rumours about Artur Boruc from Celtic.

Can't seen anyone going other than Big Olof's done deal - we definitely need a right back, another centre back and perhaps someone with a bit of sparkle in midfield, although Ashley Young's new free role will put paid to someone coming in there.

I think we need numbers more than anything, as the squad is light.

Back
Top Bottom