All New Summer 2008 Transfer Merry Go Round/Rumour Mill

Soldato
Problem is he isn't a free agent yet. He says he has terminated his contract with Fenerbahce due to botched medical treatment they gave him.

Fenerbahce say he is still under contract.

I'm pretty sure he is getting some kind of ruling from some authority soon to clear it up.

Don
Real's Vice-president has come out and said that Real tried to sign Agger in the summer and are likely to try again in January.

José Ángel Sánchez said:
He is a player we have been looking at for a long time and it is likely we will bid for him in January. He is a world-class player and without a doubt he would fit into our system. We already had plans about buying Agger this summer, along with some other players, but the Robinho situation took so much attention and demanded so many resources from the club that we had to drop the plans about putting a bid in for Agger and other players that we had in mind. What we need is a defender and a striker and, at the moment, Agger is on top of our list.

I seriously hope we keep him; he committed himself to at least the rest of his contract (and talked of a possible new deal) and said he'll fight for his place but im sure he's not happy with the lack of games he's getting. It's a really difficult situation atm for us as Skrtel and Carra have been excellent this season but Agger's hugely important not just for now but for the future too.

Soldato
no need to say what a big draw real are but i don't think it'd be good for liverpool to let him go, only takes an injury to carragher or skrtel and i wouldn't fancy your chances.

Don
Im sure we're not looking to sell him. But it'll be very difficult if he says he wants to go with him only having 1 season after this left on his deal.

There's been talk of a new deal for him so hopefully he realises whats best for him and he signs a long deal. Like you say it only takes an injury and he'll be back in the team and im sure with a run of games he'll cement his place like Carra and Skrtel have done so far. He's also got to remember that Carra's 31 in January and won't be able to play, to the level he is now, for ever (even if he has had a great start to the season).

Soldato
yeah i don't see carragher keeping it up permanently, he's playing his best now that he has for a couple of seasons but in all honesty Agger is a better player than him when his fitness is there and his head is right. Agger could be up there with the best defenders in england and europe in a season or two.

I didn't realise he only had 1 season left on his deal, it does kind of tip the balance in the players favour a little. just depnds if he does want to go and how much your owneers and manager value him. it'd be a mistake to sell in my opinion and a very bad one unless they could bring in a replacement almost immediately. imagine staying in touch with the top 2 until feb and then one of your centre backs gets injured for rest of season with no replacement in. you'd go bloody crazy at the shortsightedness.

Soldato
Rafa massively values him, But the americans on the other hand.. they value money, lets face it.
I wish Rafa would shift Carra to the right and get Agger in to form a partnership with Skrtel, It would be the best bet for our tougher games really, Lets face it Carra would come inside and save the day quite often too, but hes probably the best player at right back in the squad.

Soldato
When Carra goes we wont find another defender better than Agger. Skrtel is great at what he does, but he hasn't got the footballing brain of Agger.

Rafa should try his best to keep him. Hopefully Agger can see the situation and realise that his future will be fantastic with us.

Don
yeah i don't see carragher keeping it up permanently, he's playing his best now that he has for a couple of seasons but in all honesty Agger is a better player than him when his fitness is there and his head is right. Agger could be up there with the best defenders in england and europe in a season or two.
Im not sure where people have been getting this idea about Carra's form over the last 2 seasons. Admittedly, by his standards, he had a poor mid to end of last season (and being switched to rb and a unstable cb pairing wouldn't have helped) but his form for the 18 months prior to that was excellent.

Agger has the potential to be one of our best ever cb's but as yet he's not shown himself to be better than Carra. As long as Carra and Skrtel are playing well then he shouldn't get back into the side but he's got to realise that his chance will come and when it does he's got to perform so he keeps his place.

I didn't realise he only had 1 season left on his deal, it does kind of tip the balance in the players favour a little. just depnds if he does want to go and how much your owneers and manager value him. it'd be a mistake to sell in my opinion and a very bad one unless they could bring in a replacement almost immediately. imagine staying in touch with the top 2 until feb and then one of your centre backs gets injured for rest of season with no replacement in. you'd go bloody crazy at the shortsightedness.
Sorry i meant 1 season after this, so more or less 2 seasons. But regardless of that if he was to say he's wants to go then the club would have to listen to offers in the summer, if not January. Both Parry and Rafa have spoken about a new deal for him and Rafa actually came out today to say he's not for sale and part of the long-term future of the club (as well as Agger himself saying he's committed to staying) so hopefully this gets sorted soon.

BTW, don't underestimate big Sami. After a shakey start when Agger first got injured, he was excellent last season.

Back
Top Bottom