All photos gone off camera

Associate
Hello all. My mate is away in Florida, and she has taken over 800 photos. She's text me saying the camera has messed up (how I don't know) and all the pictures have gone.

Whats the best way to try and recover them?

Many thanks

Pho

Pho

Soldato
Firstly, don't try and use the card in the camera at all. Use a card reader and something like Recuva to recover the files (you may need to do a deep scan)

Soldato
Gone as in, the CF card is empty? What about when you read it in a card reader rather than the camera? I agree, tell her to stop using it and dont try to take any more pics or write any new data to it. Get some recovery software and try to recover it.

33L

33L

Associate
agreed the adta can probalby recovered for not a lot.
jsut advise to get a new card and try that! tell her to format it in the camera (thte new card that is)

Associate
Sandisk Rescue Pro is another good file recovery tool.

I got a second hand CF card in a camera I purchased recently, and I was amazed what it found!

I've got about 8 cd copies with licences kicking about here, so if you need one for your friend, drop me an email via trust and I'll pop one in the post for you FOC...

It will be most unusual if they're completely gone, and usually most of the pics can be recovered.

Associate
Firstly, don't try and use the card in the camera at all. Use a card reader and something like Recuva to recover the files (you may need to do a deep scan)

I'd agree ... unless the camera has started to overwrite the images then they should still be there. I think camera card use what amounts to the old FAT filesystem so deleting a file is (I think) initially just a matter of altering one bit in a directory entry and adding the sectors used to the free list. At this point it should be possible to recover everything (anyone remember Norton Undelete!) without too much problem. The more that has happened past the point of deletion then the more likely it will be that freed sectors may have been reused, directory entries replaced etc.

Anyway, been there when my son who was then 10 distraughtly announced while deleting pictures from his new camera he'd accidentally selected "delete all" instead of "delete" ... quick research on web provided various undelete tools and managed to recover all the pics!

Associate
OP
Hello, thanks for all your help. I've attached the camera to my PC, but when viewing the camera in My Computer, it doesn't show as a drive letter. How can I give it a drive letter?

Soldato
If its an sd card you can get usb card readers dirt cheap at auction.

First post of call will need to be the manufactures site to get camera drivers.

As previously said ...you have a very good chance of getting them all back using recovery software...ignore that advice that said otherwise :)

Soldato
You'll definitely need a card reader. Whatever you do don't write anything to, or add anything to the card until after you've recovered the images. Get hold of a copy of Sandisk data recovery (I forget the exact name) and set to task, carefully.

Back
Top Bottom