Alloy wheel repairs

Soldato
Hit a double pothole - one after the other and now have bent edge to the rim.
Does anyone know of a alloy wheel repairer in West Mid's /North Shropshire who repairs these.
Looking on Youtube mine are nothing like the bad buckles you see on there but it's enough to give a bit of steering wobble.
Fortunately it's near winter and the steel wheels will be going on soon so I have all winter to get them (all 4) fixed.
Preferably from Wolverhampton up to Cheshire - Birmingham is a bit of a pain to get to.

The last time I hit one this bad was years ago where the rim was really bent and tyre had a bulge in it - I did claim from council then and got £250 off them -
They did refuse at first but wrote back with some fancy words in and they accepted resposibility in two days
I can't be assed now.

Soldato
OP
They didn't come up on my search -Is that the Rose hill when they have a place that sells any sort of brick or old garden/house stuff you need.
It's late now so have missed them today but will go down next week and ask.
£72 a wheel -if that finished I will be interested.

Edit
Found them on the Estate. Thanks

Soldato
I'm biased towards Powdercoating Shropshire (he's my old man) however @Gibbo can vouch for them too.

Lots of pot hole repairs now over the next few months, also can weld repair cracks too.

Soldato
I'm biased towards Powdercoating Shropshire (he's my old man) however @Gibbo can vouch for them too.

Lots of pot hole repairs now over the next few months, also can weld repair cracks too.

That's good to know - I was thinking about getting my alloys tidied up and they would be reasonably local to me.

Soldato
OP
I went to Rosehill yesterday and spoke to Andy - A 4 Wheel refurb job is £480 I think (Ineed to check that again)-my hearing isn't to good -Then he suggested next tyre size up from 225/40/18 to 225/45/18 at around £60 each and I had never heard of those he showed me.
I have seriously considered going for 205/55/16 steel wheels at £46 each and can get Uniroyal Rainsport 3 XL for £75 each . I like these tyres and do what I want.

This gives me more height to the rims -smoother ride and if one gets bent like my alloys at the moment it's cheaper to buy a new wheel.

I feel that the existing rims will soon get battered again once done where with steel I wouldn't much care.

Its a funny time at the moment as the steel winter wheels will be going on (they are rusty as poo) so if I buy new/refurb at the moment anything can happen on the roads in winter and would hate to have a set of brand new wheels sitting there with no car to put them on.

I did see some of the wheels Andy had done and they look new - If the old ones were like mine -big buckles where rim hits the tyre then they looked like new.

Decisions decisions :confused:

Chris5 - if you go -as you go in drive they are right over the far side at about 11.00 -If you look at google maps it just shows a nice oval road and you turn left or right --No it was like a game of hide and seek - I just sort of zig zagged across :D

PS wrote this before lunch and it wouldn't post -blue box and rolling bar. Seems ok now.

Soldato
OP
It's not the fact of having alloys refurbed - it's what the roads will be like after - as far as I can see there will be no or very little improvement next year.
So logically refurbing old alloys and put them in the same environment is just asking for trouble - also my car is 11 yrs old and do I really want fancy alloy wheels now.
A soft smooth ride is more appealing than fancy wheels. :eek:

Associate
My wife has been borrowing my car since hers was written off by an old guy in a car park!! My alloys are kerbed almost daily now.. Anyone feel brave enough to tell their wife places they can get alloys repaired? :) I don't!

Soldato
My wife has been borrowing my car since hers was written off by an old guy in a car park!! My alloys are kerbed almost daily now.. Anyone feel brave enough to tell their wife places they can get alloys repaired? :) I don't!
I don't understand...

My wife has never curbed an alloy.

I've done it more times!

Soldato
I don't understand...

My wife has never curbed an alloy.

I've done it more times!
My Mrs just did hers today. She reckons quite badly as she was flapping about being late to work (car park was full so gad to park on a side street). Not sure the damage (as she's not taken a picture), but don't know whether to get them fixed or leave it as a lesson:cry:. They're on a mk 8 fiesta st 3, think they're diamond cut iirc.

Associate
Alloys are more trouble than they are worth.. wheel covers much cheaper to replace than an alloy repair but mfrs now seem to love alloys....

Soldato
OP
I didn't believe in fairy godfathers but I have changed my mind.
Speaking to mate over the road and he said - I have a set of 16" alloys you can have -They were on his Mondeo when he bought it -Now has extra wide 17's or 18's -Just got to unearth them from undercover in his garden.
They do have tyres on but are ditch finders and also 205/50/16 I want 205/55/16

Soldato
OP
Had the wheel off yesterday to try 16" alloys -this is one wheel damage but the othere side has same on both sides of wheel. Looks like a cut along tyre -just going to go and have a look with torch.

ps - No cut

vhrOW3t.png

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Manage to cadge a set of 16" alloys from a mate with newish tyres on them - Not impressed by the tyres as they are Ditchfinders.

Put wheels on yesterday and took them for a run - The ride is smooth and much quieter than my old 18" rubber band tyres - The rims are 6.5J and mate put on 235/50/16 so there is a lot of tyre sticking out past the rim. I need some rain now to do a brake test.
When got back I put my hand on tyres and they were just about warm where my Uniroyal rainsport 3s would have been quite hot some time to point of a lot of drive gravel stuck to them and then putting car away they made car rise up when wheel went over them again.

In for a 4 wheel track next week -and if they fail the wet brake test when ever I can do it then a new set of 205/55/16 will go on Rainsport 5 this time.

ZuwYyC3.png

Back
Top Bottom