Almax 1.5M Immobiliser Chain, Squire Lock & Defiant Ground Anchor Review/Impressions

Soldato
Another review from me as I like to hear other peoples opinions of products before buying them myself.

With the completion of my DAS imminent my bike at the dealer waiting for me and everything else in line I was in need to some decent security. After reading another members thread here who had his bike recently stolen a link to Almax chains was posted so I had a browse and watched their videos on youtube.

To my surprise and horror most 'respectable' chains in the region of £50-100 that were supposedly '5 minute attack tested' were cropped off in less than a minute for the most part. Which to me makes them pointless as I might as well tie it up with a rope or a chain of daisys, it's a deterrent none the less but if it's not doing the job properly then it's not worth the money in my opinion.

After watching 2 chaps struggle to crop the Almax immobiliser for several minutes, getting through two sets of jaws and also bending the jaw header plates on the croppers I was more or less sold on a 19mm case hardened chain as it seems to be the only thing capable of stopping croppers due to be so bloody big it doesn't fit in. There are a few companies selling 19mm case hardened chains though Almax offer £300 towards an insurance excess should a chain cropped off by hand. Of course power tools will get through these and most chains however the excessive noise and also if you position your bike cleverly when it's tied up it will make getting croppers or power tools on to the chain difficult/impossible.

Various chains chopped,

Almax 'Cropper destroyer' :p

Speaks for itself really! This won't be my only line of defense. I do plan to have the bike alarmed with an immobiliser either a Datatool or Meta, not sure which yet. An alarmed disc lock too and it will also be covered and parked behind my car in quite a tight spot. When I move in October it will also be in an alarmed garage with additional security on the doors. Whoever wants to pinch my bike will have their work cut out for them by which time I'll have probably come out swinging my lid at them.

Anyway on to some photographs!

I was initially a bit confused as I wasn't able to fit two links into the squire padlock and get it to close :confused: it then occurred to me one link is slipped through the other and the lock applied to one link giving a 'slip knot' effect.

What's in the box:

20110615-1rtfr244rjpaehnyxihi89pf3y.jpg

Something to scale it by:

20110615-qk6cgxrmrtihc31t6kcak7ekyu.jpg

20110615-mfk8wyu7pwft11y3w73jb2mr75.jpg

20110615-jxtbxdjx2b4uxjc3wuttcbanqc.jpg

The chain itself due to being so bloody big has to go through the anchor at a slight angle, so slightly diagonally.

20110615-q8cu2ddrpr88ca2944mdw8wkx6.jpg

Each link is about the size of an iPhone.

20110615-rsfnmxshpe32c8iht9j5ikysmq.jpg

20110615-edkqke7xjt6ahbtyfnn14jmkfi.jpg

20110615-f2b8c2gekdpgk4ffqudu376178.jpg

20110615-m3t3eg7wx1iuq5qdyjuuwrdfx3.jpg

20110615-1w18rsfj6hef5bhgcj65xc495w.jpg

20110615-rb74shjwn6stu38r7dyqsag8ud.jpg

Zero room to get croppers on to the lock.

20110615-ew3rxa8uuj4hecfbdieid3r86f.jpg

20110615-b2un4phh5akuyj7fuafre67waa.jpg

I'll be installing the ground anchor most likely on Sunday so will comment on how easy this is. It's a case of 2x8mm pilot holes (a template is supplied). Widen these to 22mm and then using a cartridge gun and the adhesive applied and the plastic mixing nozzles fill the holes and the other bare area and push the ground anchor in. With a cure time of about 6 hours. There are some cyclindrical sleeves inside the anchor covering the main rod that runs through, should a grinder be used then these will just spin when in contact with the blade, the courners are still exposed but difficult and dangerous to grind.

It doesn't come cheap, £262 delivered, very promptly at that. Depending on which lock & ground anchor you had in mind it isn't a great deal more than any self made package however it definitely isn't cheap. It occurred to me that 1.5M depending on where on the wall your ground anchor is and how the bike is parked in relation to the wall, might be a bit too short to go through the wheel, round the swing arm and round the rear shock (if it fits round the back of it). You could just buy another lock & chain and 'daisy chain' them together.

It ain't light, indicated 10KG on the scales (over my initial body weight).

That's it not much else really to say other than it all feels very solid and hopefully will deter any potential thieves.

BennyC

Last edited:
Associate
They are really impressive bits of kit, I've the 2.5m length chain (it goes around the base of a tree before attaching to the bike) and its awesome.

Totally impracticle for carrying around though. I go with one of the alarmed disc locks for when I'm out and about.

Soldato
I have the Almax Series III chain, really good bit of kit, but damn it's heavy!

As for Almax themselves, really great customer service - I originally ordered the .75 metre chain, to save money, only to find it wouldn't go through my wheel :)rolleyes: to me!), called and spoke to the lady in the first video and she sorted it all out - got the new chain the next day and sent the other back :)

When I was talking to her on the phone she was telling me about all the grief they get from other companies that supply 'sold secure' chains - threatening Almax with court etc etc; but she said they usually tell them "fine, take us to court, but you'll have about 10 seconds to convince the judge as we crop your chain" :D

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
What are you going to use when you're out and about on the bike?

As mentioned a disc lock if I decide not to take the Almax with me. I'll see what I can find in the way of a pillion bag or secure it on to the pillion seat. I don't plan on being far away from my bike should I ever leave it not secure.

Tea Drinker
Don
Looks good but your weak point will be the resin anchors, do everything you can, drill using the right size not too small and wiggle then Hoover the hole out so you get all the dust out, if its even damp in the air leave it till its dry and warm if you aren't picking the bike up yet

Are you fixing to concrete or brickwork ?

Soldato
OP
Looks good but your weak point will be the resin anchors, do everything you can, drill using the right size not too small and wiggle then Hoover the hole out so you get all the dust out, if its even damp in the air leave it till its dry and warm if you aren't picking the bike up yet

Are you fixing to concrete or brickwork ?

Yeah that's the only 'weak point' as such it should still be a ballache to get out. I was hoping for expandable bolts along with the resin.

It's to brickwork here for the moment. I will buy another or a different anchor for the garage when the house is ready in October. So will have the option of concrete or brick work.

Just our drive is really old tarmack that will most likely come out easier than brick work so whilst the drive in most cases would be the better bet it isn't in this case as it's falling to bits.

Back
Top Bottom