Almost full system required - £850ish

Associate
I've been asked by a work colleague to spec out a system for his son with a £1000 budget, however he has already chosen a keyboard and mouse combo which takes a big chunk out -

Gaming M65 PRO RGB FPS Gaming Mouse Backlit RGB LED 12000 DPI - £50
K68 RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard, Backlit RGB LED, Cherry MX Red - £120

This leaves around £820 with a bit of flex to spec out the full base unit including OS and a monitor/reasonable starter speakers.

Any ideas folks? Case design etc is all wide open.

Thanks for any suggested build ideas! :)

Soldato
you've wasted nearly 20% on the budget already when you need to squeeze all you can out that £1000, no point in having a £120 keyboard if you cant use it for anything. with OS and monitor needed as well its going to be hard to spec.. Ive done what I can to start with im sure a few others will have a go. you can save by getting windows elsewhere a lot cheaper.

Ive added in a corsair keyboard that's on offer and included a basic mouse which I have used and is fine. if you got windows elsewhere for a fiver you could put the extra £100 to a larger SSD / 16gb RAM... or you could use it to upgrade the GPU.. depends on the expectations..

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £923.46 (includes shipping: £14.70)​

Associate
OP
Thanks Kurgen, it does seem a little silly to spend so much on a mouse and keyboard but that's the delight of RGB everything and people love pretty colours. :rolleyes:

I'll push the options you've given at them and see if I can get them to spend more on the important stuff. :)

Associate
OP
Hiya,

My colleague is about to pay for most of this (some of the prices have dropped woohoo) but I'm struggling on the case now...

I'm having trouble fitting the Alpenfohn Ben Nevis into just about anything in the £40 semi-attractive case range now that the Kolink Stronghold is out of stock, the height is going to be an issue.

Any advice on a different case or a smaller cooler as the 1600X will need me to buy one? :)

Thanks.

Man of Honour
If you swap the gpu and cpu to these you will actually save some money:-

The Ryzen 5 2600 comes with the very good Wraith cooler (might be the stealth version but still decent) so you don't need the Ben Nevis which will help with your choice of case.

The MSI GTX 1060 6Gb OC is clocked faster and has a better cooler and is £9 cheaper than the Zotac mini now that the price has increased to £149.

So the basket now looks like this:-

Total: £952.03 (includes shipping: £13.20)​

I had to change the motherboard for one that costs a tenner more as the original Gigabyte is pre-order. The Asrock is a better board though and has better vrm cooling. All you need to add is a case of your choosing.

Back
Top Bottom