Alternative to a shared drive

Soldato
Why not put a business case forward to management that shows why you feel having a shared drive would be beneficial and request they reinstate it.

Soldato
EDIT:- Disregard - it wouldn't be cheap

What about a Remote Desktop server? My company hosts remote desktop servers that users login to to access a company shared drive - works exacly like having a server in your office would in terms of Active Directory / file access permissions etc.

You could look into setting up something similar on Azure or AWS?

Nate

Soldato
As already mentioned. Business case time!

Just find a piece of software and look at the costs yadda yadda yadda - I think you need to show it has use outside of shift rotas though, because there's no real cost saving to be had there

Soldato
It's not that simple, there's a lot more at play here and I'm basically doing this to suck up and get brownie points. I haven't had a promotion for over a year so it's time to crack on. My company loves stuff like this. Innovation innit.

At work we have a job logging system. One of our guys doesn't have access to it so I gave him my login details so he could access it. He used it on Tuesday and left the PC without logging off.

There is a certain amount of irony here.

Soldato

Just wait until the GDPR come in next year...... **** just got real.

A two-tiered sanctions regime will apply. Breaches of some provisions by businesses, which law makers have deemed to be most important for data protection, could lead to fines of up to €20 million or 4% of global annual turnover for the preceding financial year, whichever is the greater, being levied by data watchdogs. For other breaches, the authorities could impose fines on companies of up to €10m or 2% of global annual turnover, whichever is greater.

And no... Brexit won't save you.

Nate

Soldato
Cloud systems are ok if you own it and control the servers. Otherwise your relying on someone else to look after and secure your data, which is never wise.

Soldato
I used to use a company for called Egnyte for cloud storage/backups.

They have an app for the Netgear readynas as well as other NAS/Windows/MAC/Android devices which real times syncs any changes to an online copy, the permissions are handled per account and the permissions sync with any devices it is added to also. I don't remember it being hugely expensive per month, but haven't used it for a while i believe you have a basic hosting plan with a certain amount of space and adding new users incurs a cost so we normally did the accounts by groups.

It did work rather well, would access the data locally through the nas for fast transfer then could also access it at home/about through the web.

Can also map a webdav shared drive direct to online, but transfer may be slow if large files.

May not fit the bill, but may be worth a look.

dal

dal

Associate
I had a shared drive once, never again it was a nightmare when I wanted to get my car out the garage and my neighbor left theirs on the drive :(

Back
Top Bottom