Alternative to Volvo V50? Max budget about £5,500.

Associate
I bought a petrol/manual/1.8/2009 V50 last year, when my son was born.

Unfortunately, it has turned out not to be the buy I first thought - it just isn't particularly big inside.

We really struggle to get shopping, buggy, toys etc. in the back of it.

We would also really like another kiddie in the near future, but the current car won't do.

Any suggestions for an alternative?

We are open to consider not only estates but MPVs, crossovers and SUVs too if they might fit the bill.

My only real criteria, other than budget, is that I would prefer a petrol (as we only do about 8,000 miles per year).

Thanks.

Associate
OP
Thanks for that.

Unfortunately (and ashamedly) I just cannot do the Skoda thing - I know that they tick all the boxes, but I just cannot get past having the one car that was the butt of so many jokes at school (my Mrs has the same problem).

We did consider a V70 but not only do most of the ones you can get, in budget, have a hefty mileage but we know (from experience) that Volvos are not the cheapest cars to run.

I must admit, I partly bought the Volvo for badge-snobbery rights.

Since becoming a parent, my priorities have changed - I need something good value, roomy, reliable and safe. I would definitely prefer to spend the money on a newer/more kitted out but lesser-brand car now.

Looking back, the Volvo was not good value for money.

Soldato
Sorry op just seen your budget is 5.5k it's your mileage that's 8k I thought it was your budget when scanning.
Mondeo can still be had for 5.5k though on a 2008/9

Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks for that.

Unfortunately (and ashamedly) I just cannot do the Skoda thing - I know that they tick all the boxes, but I just cannot get past having the one car that was the butt of so many jokes at school (my Mrs has the same problem).

Don't understand this at all. Unless you live in a school playground from the 80s? If not, nobody cares and the people that do know that it's VAG underneath.

We did consider a V70 but not only do most of the ones you can get, in budget, have a hefty mileage but we know (from experience) that Volvos are not the cheapest cars to run.

I must admit, I partly bought the Volvo for badge-snobbery rights.

Or this. They aren't a top tier marque (or weren't, they've gone more upmarket in the past few years since they were bought by the Chinese). Buying a 5k car for badge-snobbery rights doesn't even make sense since everyone knows how to read reg plates.

Since becoming a parent, my priorities have changed - I need something good value, roomy, reliable and safe. I would definitely prefer to spend the money on a newer/more kitted out but lesser-brand car now.

All of those things are what you'll get with a Skoda Octavia or even a Superb. Your children aren't going to care so why should you?

Soldato
Don't understand this at all. Unless you live in a school playground from the 80s? If not, nobody cares and the people that do know that it's VAG underneath.

All of those things are what you'll get with a Skoda Octavia or even a Superb. Your children aren't going to care so why should you?
I wouldn't drive a Skoda to be fair and that is ridiculous coming from someone who owns a Ford as Skoda do offer some quality cars but a couple of years ago when I did consider getting a 7yr old Octavia VRS every single person laughed in my face when I said I'm looking at a Skoda from friends to work colleagues especially Women and my girlfriend at the time said she would not get in it if I bought one.
The majority of people still find the badge and image something to laugh at sadly. I went for a Focus ST instead which is classed as cool! Go figure

Soldato
The V50 is pretty small as estates go so I can see how you might be struggling at the thought of two kids especially if they're both quite young.

I'd say the V70 is worth a proper look(not really sure what you think is expensive to run about them tbh, they're a big heavy cars so fuel a isn't going to be great but they're fairly bomb proof), ocatvia hatch has plenty of room estate even better but I'd personally prefer a Superb for a pure family remit. Mondeo, Accord(estate), Insignia all worth checking too as the boot is much bigger in terms of usable space (and particularly length) than the likes of a v50

S max is a versatile thing and loads of people like them, also worth seeing if something like a crv would be of any use to you

Soldato
The majority of people still find the badge and image something to laugh at sadly.

Can't say I've ever encountered this, nor would I let other people's brand snobbery (especially in this area of the market) influence my purchasing decision. Skoda sold nearly twice as many cars last year as SEAT so clearly the badge and image isn't that much of an issue.

Soldato
Can't say I've ever encountered this, nor would I let other people's brand snobbery (especially in this area of the market) influence my purchasing decision. Skoda sold nearly twice as many cars last year as SEAT so clearly the badge and image isn't that much of an issue.
I am as far from a badge snob as u can get I would rather have a top spec lesser badged car than a POV spec German whip any day of the week but i draw the line at buying a car that people would have laughed at and mocked. Yes they don't know what they are talking about I mean one of them owns an Astra for crying out loud but she still laughed at the fact it was a Skoda even though the Octavia is a great car. It's just one badge that most people still mock imo.

Soldato
De-badge it and write bmw on the back with a sharpie. Job done.

I was seriously considering a VRS a while ago. Literally no one sniggered at me, but then again, I don't have much money and nor does anyone I know, so maybe that's got something to do with it?

Soldato
Literally no one sniggered at me, but then again, I don't have much money and nor does anyone I know, so maybe that's got something to do with it?
Neither do I or the people I work with :p I'm talking people who drive Polo's,Astra's Focus's, BMW 1 series's etc who still laughed and mocked Skoda despite the fact the Octavia VRS I was considering was a better car than what the majority of them drive. It's just the image of the badge. As I say I went with the Focus ST instead which they all liked and I am currently running about in a 13 year Old Mondeo ST220 which none of the same people have a problem with or mock lol.its odd

Soldato
There's a voice that keeps on calling me.
Have a look at something like the Honda Accord Estate, or even the CRV if a SUV floats your boat, the 2.2 is still a sweet diesel engine (yeah i really said that about a diesel!).

Otherwise, its Mondeo,Galaxy,Smax,Alhambra type vehicles. If you want a posh badge then you need to up your budget and go for a A6 avant,5 series estate or a Merc E class.

Soldato
Neither do I or the people I work with :p I'm talking people who drive Polo's,Astra's Focus's, BMW 1 series's etc who still laughed and mocked Skoda despite the fact the Octavia VRS I was considering was a better car than what the majority of them drive. It's just the image of the badge. As I say I went with the Focus ST instead which they all liked and I am currently running about in a 13 year Old Mondeo ST220 which none of the same people have a problem with or mock lol.its odd

Why do you care so much about what other people think? :confused: Do you apply the same logic in other parts of your life too?

Back
Top Bottom